Consolidated PBY-5 Catalina Revell 1:48 scale

Evening,

Been a while since I last posted on BM however been busy fettling away building this monster, which was a Christams present from my daughter. Revell's 1:48 scale PBY-5 Catalina. the only extras that I have used were replacement propeller blades and gave " problur" a go and very happy with the results. I also used canopy masks on all the glazed sections.

Paint scheme isn't 100 % accurate for the aircraft represented however I liked the all white scheme but after spraying it, it looked just too white, so I changed it a bit and chose camouflage for the upper wings and tail.

Only issues with the model kit, were the decals, they fell to bits when applying even using micro sol/set etc and they also silvered very easily. Hence the heavily weathered look. Always loved this aircraft and now I have one in my collection... Finding a place to display it might be a problem.. it is HUGE !!

Anyway, hope you like it !! :)

Cheers

DSC_0628

DSC_0627

DSC_0626

DSC_0625

DSC_0623

DSC_0622

DSC_0621

DSC_0620

Edited by MarkdipXV711
resize photos x
  • Like 57

I would have liked to do a 1/48 myself because my father used to fly in them in the fifties as an airforce photographer. However I don't have room, so I will do it in 1/72. This will be made up of two kits to get the right plane. I hope I can do a nice job of it like this one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Looks good. How about a couple of larger images. These are too small to really appreciate your work.

Just worked out how to resize the photos .. Thanks Flickr :) 🤣😁

Edited by MarkdipXV711

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I agree with Greg. It's looking good but we could do with larger photos. I built a 'Black Cat' in 1/72 and I thought that was big. Goodness know's where I'd find room for a 48.

As requested .. Going to have a mate build me a metal plynth and leave it on the dining table ( that won't go down well !! )

This is what I do. I can't say if it is the correct way.

Go to Flickr

Click on YOU.

Click on photostream

In the top right corner there is a cloud with and arrow on it. Click on it 

and it will ask you to choose an image.Click on it and find the image on your hard drive .

This will uploaded it.

Then you have to click on the blue button it the top right corner. This will put it in photostream.

Click on your photo in photostream and it will load it onto a new screen. 

Go to the bottom right. you will find a bent arrow. Click on it and it will bring up the link box.

Copy the link and paste it into your post in BM. Hit enter for it to show.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE PHOTO IS SET TO PUBLIC VIEWING.

This is how I do it. If anyone knows a better way please say. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

This is what I do. I can't say if it is the correct way.

Go to Flickr

Click on YOU.

Click on photostream

In the top right corner there is a cloud with and arrow on it. Click on it 

and it will ask you to choose an image.Click on it and find the image on your hard drive .

This will uploaded it.

Then you have to click on the blue button it the top right corner. This will put it in photostream.

Click on your photo in photostream and it will load it onto a new screen. 

Go to the bottom right. you will find a bent arrow. Click on it and it will bring up the link box.

Copy the link and paste it into your post in BM. Hit enter for it to show.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE PHOTO IS SET TO PUBLIC VIEWING.

This is how I do it. If anyone knows a better way please say. 

Think that's how I did it ... Hopefully better size now, enjoy and thanks again 👏👍

44 minutes ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

Will do if you explain how ... Used Flickr for the first time and all new to me 🤣😁

The plane looks really good. I think you have the weathering spot on. I know how dirty they get.

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

The plane looks really good. I think you have the weathering spot on. I know how dirty they get.

Thought they would have been cleaner because of the use of water runways !! ... However after looking at period photos they were very weathered. I suppose maybe because they had such long ranges and spent extensive hours on airborne patrol.

Much respect to the aircrews and maintenance personnel.

Top job!:thumbsup: Looks good on the outdoor table, I couldn't figure out the water effect for a second🤔 Those prop blur thingo's do the biz as well.

Hang from the ceiling!! I'm doing that now as I have run out of shelf space:D

Cheers,

Devo

• Like 1

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 11:04 PM, KelT said:

A beautiful job, looks amazing.

I love the idea of displaying it on that glass table too, at first glance I thought it was on water.

Right ! The same for me with this glass table ! 😁 😍

Love this Cat, well done. 

Lolo 

• Thanks 1

Hello Mark,

Excellent presentation of this famous aircraft.

The table glass fouled me for a few minutes!

Regards, Orion. 

• Thanks 1

Great build looks just like a cat should look like!

One niggle,  the PW engines didn't have exhaust collector rings like British Bristol engines so the front of the engine nacelles should be in airframe colour not bronze.

Selwyn

• Like 1