First issue Zero... BANZAI!!

TonyW

Rooting through a box of builder kits, a first issue Mitsubishi Zero caught my eye. There's only a handful of bits to it, so I thought I would have a go at a bit of a Wham, Bang, thank you Ma'am type  build.  A Saturday afternoon build, while waiting for Dr Who to start.

Eyes down...

Here's the whole thing. The transfers look to be shot, I can see cracks all over them. Replacements are already sorted.

IMG_5274.jpg

Everything seems to fit OK.  Not 2018 Tamiya fit, but not bad for a kit this old. The canopy has no framing at all so a bit of Jazz modelling called for there.

IMG_5275.jpg

The airframe is already glued together, with a bit of precarious balancing of paints and bottled varnish helping the wing roots to fit without gaps (hopefully)

IMG_5276.jpg

I've decided on a colour scheme for the plane and it's definitely not the one Airfix suggests. It's a period finish that should be at least undercoated tonight.

More later.

Edited by TonyW
full pics instead of thumbnails
  • Like 7

I loved building this back in 1966 or thereabouts! I am glad I am not the only one who balances glass bottles on cockpit openings!

Looking forward to your build.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 3

Plans to have it finished this evening have come to nought. Despite sitting it on a radiator for ages the enamel won't dry fast enough. Curses.

Not to worry, I'm usually up early. 

As an unrelated aside, my very first single record was Aretha Franklins Don't Play that Song, way back when I was still in secondary school. I still have it. It's on as I type.

RIP Aretha.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for starting this one Tony.

I'm quite surprised to see deep but recessed panel lines and no rivets in this 1959 tooled kit. It was good to see the Matchbox kit built in that manufacturers previous GB and there's every possibility that someone will have the Frog Zero, should that future GB kick off sometime in the new year. The A6M must surely be the most kitted Japanese subject ever and we are still seeing relatively new Zero kits being produced even now. Thankfully, modern day tooling enhancements can bring out amanzingly good replicas straight OOB, something that those poor folks from 1959 would never have dreamt about.

Cheers and I'll enjoy this one coming together raher quickly I should think... Dave

• Like 2

No rivets on the first issue Dave. The second issue was a different kettle of fish though!

Here's the two mouldings side by side...

IMG_5272.jpg

The rather deep panel lines got filled and a raised line added in their place, along with a ton of riveting. The canopy got a frame as well.

Quite a few kits got this treatment in the sixties. The jury is out on the desirability of the changes.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

I knew that Airfix reworked their fabric surfaces in the early 1960s but I didn’t realise that they added rivets too. Bit of a shame really...

The Zero is looking great and that plastic colour looks just like Japanese grey if you want to go really classic!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

It's very nearly done now, might as well post a picture or two.

Commando War Stories provided full colour references, shown on the cover of No 607, Killer With Wings.  So I know the scheme is accurate. Bright yellow, with bright red cowl. Aurora also used this accurate scheme on their 1.48 scale Zero. I've also added a bit of superdetailing with a load of bullet holes in the wings, fuselage and tail. Just like the cover!

I can't wait to get to school on Monday to show my mates!!!

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5292.jpg

The canopy might get a slightly more prototypical bit of framing if it's lucky.  

A fun build that kept me smiling all the way through. I'll take a few better pictures and add them to the Gallery later.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

TOP MARKS for the Commando comic EVIDENCE.  I may have to 'duff you up' in the playground and try to nick it off you though :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Commando War Stories provided full colour references, shown on the cover of No 607, Killer With Wings.  So I know the scheme is accurate. Bright yellow, with bright red cowl. Aurora also used this accurate scheme on their 1.48 scale Zero. I've also added a bit of superdetailing with a load of bullet holes in the wings, fuselage and tail. Just like the cover!

I can't wait to get to school on Monday to show my mates!!!

Wonderful, Tony. Did you produce that quality when a ten year old? Did you really use those actual Airfix bottles of paint??? You can see that the red on the cowling matches the red of the 'transfers' exactly. The artwork in the Commando comics is really excellent in their depiction of aircraft / armour / ships etc. - I wonder if that could be an idea for a future GB? Very well done, sir. Cheers Mike.

• Like 3

The build is about right for a ten year old Mike, it won't stand close examination. The speed it went together prevented any thoughts of proper care and attention.

No Airfix paints were harmed in the making of the model, they are only props. I used old grey band Humbrol paints throughout. 

The transfers came from the spares box and were the only ones with white rings around the roundels. I have no idea what they came from originally. They got the job done though.

The bullet holes were done with the tip of my Xacto knife, twisting it into the plastic. Very satisfying!  A bit of matt black at the bottom of the hole and a dry brushing with silver for the torn metal.

A red hot pin would have been my weapon of choice as a kid, the raised rings around the holes looked right to me back then.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

I have to agree, this looks just fantastic and the finished article really takes one back to the time when model building was quick, fun and miles away from true accuracy. The thought of a GB idea somehow linked to this type of building does have huge potential. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 3