RMASG Sherman V "Fox".

Hi John. Great to see a Sherman in a different sceme. Superbly made and finished plus your attention to detail, as always, takes it to the next level. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

19 hours ago, Carius said:

Looks great my friend :clap2:

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Great to see a Sherman in a different sceme. Superbly made and finished plus your attention to detail, as always, takes it to the next level. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks a lot to you both. As always, I appreciate the comments.

John.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Truly excellent with great attention to detail as usual. 

I wasn’t aware the Sherman was used in that role. Britmodeller always manages to educate. 

Pete

Thanks Pete. You'd be amazed at what jobs Shermans were used for. How about tractors in the logging industry!

John.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:19 AM, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Pete. You'd be amazed at what jobs Shermans were used for. How about tractors in the logging industry!

John.

At least one company, Madill from Canada, began using surplus HVSS parts to build forestry machines on extended chassis and once these had dried up began making their own HVSS suspension parts, and continued doing so for many years.

How about taking 1 M4A2, a few spare parts and some steel plate and making 2 Shervick tractors from it?  Ultimately unsuccessful compared to plentiful US commercial products (Caterpillar alone built more tracked tractors and dozers from 1942-45 than the total number of M4s built, never mind IHC and others!).  They came in left and right handed versions, as you can see from the exhausts, because the GM 6-71 diesels in the M4A2 were "handed".  One of the reasons for choosing the GM 6-71 engine for the M4A2 was the ease with which it could be reversed to make a twin engine, the GM 6046.

Perhaps we should start a new thread on Sherman oddities rather than hijack this one any further (says me who just hijacked it further!).

cN0FHJR.jpg

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction

Actually, there is an after market producer in either the States or Canada (can't remember which or who), who was working on one of these with the aim of producing a conversion in 1/35th. I believe it was the same person who produced the Chilean M60.

John.

That would be Greg Buechler.  He's a certified Shermaholic and has been working on a Madill Yarder for a long time, but as a model not as a kit.  It's a complicated beastie.

His next planned release after the Chilean M51 and M50/60 conversions was to have been an Argentine Repotenciado Sherman.  A Firefly IC or VC fitted with an Argentine-developed version of the French CN105 gun from the AMX 13 and a Poyaud diesel engine.  He was also talking about a Lebanese Firefly with the M4A2 engine conversion, but that's relatively easily done with standard TMD parts.  The Repo isn't particularly difficult either, apart from the muzzle brake.  At some point I intend to do both of these, and I have Greg's Chilean conversions.

He's stopped the conversion kits at the moment because his caster is otherwise engaged.  And he was re-modelling bits of the house ..............

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

That would be Greg Buechler.

That's the one.

20 hours ago, Wagtail said:

Wow, that is absolutely stunning and what a colour scheme. really great work!

Thanks very much.

John.

On the subject of colour, I picked up the Ammo of MiG Commonwealth Shermans paint set today, as I have a couple of desert Shermans to do and I've just ordered a couple of new Star desert Sherman decal sets.  Guess what?  On the back is a side view of an RMASG Sherman in overall SCC2!  I believe these sets are matched to vehicles pictured in the MiG Sherman book released a while ago.

But on closer peering under the magnifier it has the same false Fox T number as the old Bison decal set.  So it looks as if they've just robbed info from the Bison/Star decal sheets, with whom they seem to have some sort of marketing relationship.  The other 3 tanks pictured on the pack are all also in Star sets, including the unusual spotted "Sheik".  If so, that hardly smacks of original research worth paying the high price of that book for.  Glad I didn't.  If you buy the Star decals you get the colour info anyway!

PS.  I was a little disappointed with the paint set contents too.  While all the colours are shown on the outside as being specific British colours complete with BS or SCC numbers, the contents are not.  Yes, 4 of the 6 are: G3, SCC1A, SCC2, SCC15.  However the "Portland Stone" turned out to be their old generic Warm Sandy Yellow and the "Dark Slate" is Luftwaffe RLM02 Grau.  So, questionable accuracy here too.

Edited by Das Abteilung
PS
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

On the subject of colour, I picked up the Ammo of MiG Commonwealth Shermans paint set today, as I have a couple of desert Shermans to do and I've just ordered a couple of new Star desert Sherman decal sets.  Guess what?  On the back is a side view of an RMASG Sherman in overall SCC2!  I believe these sets are matched to vehicles pictured in the MiG Sherman book released a while ago.

But on closer peering under the magnifier it has the same false Fox T number as the old Bison decal set.  So it looks as if they've just robbed info from the Bison/Star decal sheets, with whom they seem to have some sort of marketing relationship.  The other 3 tanks pictured on the pack are all also in Star sets, including the unusual spotted "Sheik".  If so, that hardly smacks of original research worth paying the high price of that book for.  Glad I didn't.  If you buy the Star decals you get the colour info anyway!

PS.  I was a little disappointed with the paint set contents too.  While all the colours are shown on the outside as being specific British colours complete with BS or SCC numbers, the contents are not.  Yes, 4 of the 6 are: G3, SCC1A, SCC2, SCC15.  However the "Portland Stone" turned out to be their old generic Warm Sandy Yellow and the "Dark Slate" is Luftwaffe RLM02 Grau.  So, questionable accuracy here too.

To me, that's nothing more than lazy research, plagiarism at it's worst. I've no doubt that if you were to get together all the different brands of paint, purporting to be SCC15 or whatever, they would all be different. That's why I stick to mixing my own, to a formula worked out by an expert.

It wasn't so much the accuracy of the "real" British colours in the pack.  I haven't had a chance to look at them yet against my scanned copy of BS987C - accepting that the scanning and screen rendering introduces variation - or Mike Starmer's swatches.

It was more the deceit of changing/falsifying the names of the paints on the outside of the sealed box.  It says you get colours called Portland Stone and Dark Slate when in fact you get Warm Sandy Yellow and RLM02.  And of course there's never a shade chart to hand when you want to double-check the numbers.  But why would you?  It wouldn't have entered my head that MiG would have changed the colour names against the stock numbers.  A single paint colour from the 16.7M visible variations can't have 2 names.  If I buy any more paint sets - which I rarely do - I'll certainly be double-checking the contents first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Tony. A long time since I was "Swift and Sure":cry:

John.

Haha,...... yeah me too. Happy memories of wearing my `Jimmy' though,....well mostly! 

• Like 1