RMS Queen Elizabeth

Hello all.

Just recently I have been enjoying building old mould kits. Having done quite a few aircraft it was now time to revisit my childhood and build a liner. Right on cue the Airfix:The Golden Years Group Build came up so I had no excuse did I? I had built this ship a few times in my yoof, and I wondered if I had improved. The build log is here if you want to have a look:

I was going to build it out of the box, but the etch-itch soon surfaced and I thought the ship would not look right if she did not have railings. I ordered some from Toms Modelworks in America, and they turned up in just about a week, which I thought was brilliant service from them. It was only when I was nearing the end of the project that I noticed that White Ensign did a specific set for this ship, and that would have helped more than somewhat, especially with the many lifeboat davits. Ah well, it gives me an excuse to get another (or the Revell Queen Mary in 1/570 as the etch was apparently okay for that one too).

This kit does show its age (just like I do), and there were a few fit issues which I did not quite solve. The worst were when I tried to fit the decks, no matter what I did they would not fit level and flush, but in the end that helped when I fitted the railings around the stern. One or two sections had some quite large gaps too.

I used Simonez red primer for the hull bottom, Tamiya white spraycan for the upperworks, Revell matt black acrylic brush painted for the hull sides and Colourcoats Teak for the decks. I added a Revell Wood Brown acrlylic for the railings top rail to represent the wood topping.

I used EZ-Line for the rigging, and it is fairly close to the box top illustration. I had fun and games on the fore-mast rigging on one day, and a delight on the rear mast rigging on the following session. Why there can be two totally different experiences doing the same job on different days I do not know!

Anyway, enough waffle. Safe to say though I really enjoyed this build, and have plenty more to do!

43164649155_d9e535d0d0_b.jpg

43164655025_19741cbd9f_b.jpg

44022888722_f837897ba5_b.jpg

30203290288_55c50aeb28_b.jpg

30203293608_03958f765b_b.jpg

44070883981_50fe1e1c8f_b.jpg

44070890331_c3389fa7d8_b.jpg

44070893601_6d2de63db4_b.jpg

That is it for now, thanks for looking.

All the best,

Ray

PS I am thinking of doing a scratch build for my next major project. A clue - I need to 'Gleaner' information about it!

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 10

On 8/16/2018 at 6:16 PM, longshanks said:

Impressive model of a beautiful old lady

?Gleaner?   all I can find is a stern wheeler …..

Kev

Hello Kev, Thanks for that comment. The build I am thinking of doing is a Norfolk Wherry! I am just about to start a topic in WIP.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:06 PM, Tim Reynaga said:

Ray, yours is a very clean and appealing rendition of that most elegant ship. Well done indeed!  I have a copy of that kit lurking in the back of my stash also... now you've inspired me to take another look at it.

Go for it Tim, you will not be disappointed! Just get your thin white line above the red hull bottom thinner than I did! Mine was 2mm tape, but I think it could have been much thinner for realism.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:07 PM, PF Naughton said:

Hi,

That looks great 😀

Thanks for that!

Cheers to you all for looking in,

All the best,

Ray