In a Hurri (2 x 1/72 Hasegawa/Fly Hurricanes)

21 hours ago, Procopius said:

Now (paging @Troy Smith), what kind of exhausts d'ye reckon each of our two birds have?

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I concur PC the IIA looks to have straight tubes. The IIC looks to

have the fishtails. 

the IIa as described, the IIc is not very clear,  but I had memories of a famous BE*** Hurricane, BE485, so a search found a shot,  but also an earlier BE*** serial plane,

BE485 has the fishtail type,  BE227 didn't

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76985-hurricane-codes/

as well as being one of the rare pics with the flaps dropped on the ground, but this is a factory fresh shot]

hurr2-3.jpg&key=bb9984877964d23cacb489c0

The fabric was then just doped over them anyway, not very pretyty but it worked.

the 402 sq planes were the subject of a press day, are well photographed, here's one pic, try gooling images for 402 sq or serial numbers,

hurr2-8.jpg&key=314b94cd1b44804abc4883e1

BE227 is interesting as a trop plane in TLS,  which look to be factory applied,  again pointing to BE402 being in same scheme.

HTH

• Thanks 1

30798326368_984d81e81d_h.jpg20180913_232656 by Edward IX, on Flickr

NOW we're getting somewhere.

What a horrible week this has been. My boss is smart, organized, efficient, and unfortunately extremely neurotic, possibly maniac-depressive (which I pronounce without judgement, suffering from the disease myself, as does my mom), which meant that this week, as the screws have been tightened by higher-ups who don't understand the systems we work with, her equanimity has failed her badly, leading to being berated for not focusing on infinitesimally unimportant aspects of our jobs instead of the useful stuff we spend most of our times doing but which our executive director doesn't understand. It got so bad today that four of us hid in a corridor and sent someone from another department to our cubicle bank to get our wallets so we could go out for lunch without having to go near her. Yes, morale is sky-high at the largest voluntary association in North America!

To calm myself down tonight, I ventured into the grotto. 

Now the Fly kit uses Techmod decals, which in Hell would be the only decals for subjects I was interested in; by some bizarre coincidence, they're generally the only game in town for the Polish subjects I like to build, so perhaps I didn't make it out alive from that staff meeting earlier this week, For these I used piping hot water and Solvaset to ensure they bedded down.

44669142891_f855c3ff1c_h.jpg20180913_220608 by Edward IX, on Flickr

In general they went down okay, with some intransigence, and a serial decal (there are four, as the tail Sky ID band covers all but the Z and 1) was ruined, requiring a replacement 1 to be roughly hewn from a Z. It's just visible here:

44669142271_df363f844d_h.jpg20180913_224527 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The markings for the IIc are from the Xtradecals Malta sheet, and while I know some complain about Xtradecals, they've always done pretty well by me. However, in this case, some feeb at the decal factory managed to put the little red alignment crosshairs atop one of the LE decals for the squadron codes. Dope. Some careful work with an X-Acto was able to cut away most of it, but two tiny red marks remain.

43759806345_7784436970_h.jpg20180913_232645 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Other than that, things went pretty well:

43759806355_610cc257ad_h.jpg20180913_232632 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 14

Looking very  nice indeed mate B)

I don't mind the Techmod transfers, they can be a bit foldy and if you stick them in the wrong place they do tend to stay there - indeed, to become immovable, but put them on a glossy well-watered surface and they can generally be persuaded to do your bidding and they usually look really good once they have settled down. I like the Xtradecals too, they are amongst my favourites in terms of user-friendliness.

So it looks like the finish line hoves into view. Got a plan for what's your next build yet? :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

So it looks like the finish line hoves into view. Got a plan for what's your next build yet? :D

I always have an idea of what I want to build, but it's almost never what I actually build next. I was thinking about doing Lancaster I LM130/JO-N "Nick the Nazi Neutralizer" of 463 Squadron RAAF. If we have another thread about Nazis in Chat, this will be a shoe-in. She was quite the old war-horse, completing either 48 or 67 missions (depending on the source) before being lost with all her crew in a stupid accident: a Fighter Affiliation Hurricane IIc collided with her in March of 1945 during a training sortie. 

463_Squadron_RAAF_Lancaster_Nick_the_Naz

Alternately, I recently received the rather tasty Model Maker Stanislaw Skalski 1939-1957 sheet, which has some PZL P.11cs as options, or even a Lim-2/MiG-15bis that he flew in the '50s. Also quite tempting.

Or I have the DK Decals Ventura II decal sheet en route and have a Ventura, so could do one of the doomed RNZAF day bombers shot down over Holland (some of whom are mentioned in Anne Frank's diary).

Or maybe a Spitfire, either Battle of Britain, the lean into France, or a Pacific Mk VIII. 

Lots of options...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

If we have another thread about Nazis in Chat, this will be a shoe-in.

I went and read the first page. Oh, dear. One modeller whose work I enjoyed said some surprisingly ignorant things. When will I learn?

All the modelling subjects sound interesting, PC. I always learn something from each of your works in progress, so go for any of them. But maybe the Ventura?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Or I have the DK Decals Ventura II decal sheet en route and have a Ventura, so could do one of the doomed RNZAF day bombers shot down over Holland (some of whom are mentioned in Anne Frank's diary).

A splendid ambition if ever there was one, don't let anyone talk you out of it. :D

The Huracanes are looking a bit smart too. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

So I decided to risk it all in a death-or-glory shot at upping my game, As you know, many Hurricanes in service had very visible exhaust staining that seems to sort of arc up and then more sharply down. Cf:

worn-mk7-nose.jpg

hurricane-desertexhaust.jpg?ssl=1

Hurricane_landing_Gary_Eason_DSC2104_xla

So I opted to try and replicate this. Now, this is probably wrong for the 71 Squadron Hurricane; the Eagle Squadron was flying only one or two sorties a day per aircraft, so there was probably a fair amount of time for some TLC, but I figured nothing ventured...

I'm not sure the results were a complete success, or even much of a success at all.

29765099967_b5cc7519f6_h.jpg20180915_161036 by Edward IX, on Flickr

43984167154_82abef48af_h.jpg20180915_161041 by Edward IX, on Flickr

43984165244_f7a5273bdb_h.jpg20180915_161113 by Edward IX, on Flickr

42892529540_eb8cdbd28e_h.jpg20180915_161111 by Edward IX, on Flickr

43984157954_e5fc3607f5_h.jpg20180915_162319 by Edward IX, on Flickr

What I did was: I used my Krome with a .3 needle (too big) initially to lay down Alclad burnt metal for the exhaust stain, followed by (once I wised up), Alclad Jet Exhaust using my SOTAR with a .2 needle, then some Tamiya Medium Sea Grey mixed with white and heavily diluted. Then I rubbed it a bit with 6000 grit micro-mesh, and then I went over it with some pigments to soften up the airbrush lines.

Then I went over everything (but the upperwing roundels, which need more decal softener) with Gunze flat coat, to seal in the pigments like that guy who wanted a cask of Amontillado, and here we are.

43984157954_e5fc3607f5_h.jpg20180915_162319 by Edward IX, on Flickr

43984160974_abbe7b63ff_h.jpg20180915_162334 by Edward IX, on Flickr

After that, I added some chipping with a Prismacolor pencil (not shown). 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I haven't ever gotten up the courage to use the airbrush for exhaust stains. Yours turned out great, and much better than pigments alone.

It's much easier if, like me, you're an idiot, because idiots are too stupid to be afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Just to ask, do you build your models with the propellers fixed in place, or do you let them spin?

My son would prefer I let them spin, but it's not his call. I typically fix them in place unless it'd be harder not to. As I'm using resin spinners here and drilling a hole for the peg is a lot of work that I don't care to do, they'll be fixed.

• Like 3

Just now, 06/24 said:

I would prefer to let them spin, but am generally so lazy/inept they end up fixed anyway!

Shades of Conrad's War, a novel I never fail to think about when I bodge something up on a kit.

• Like 1

What I'd really like to do is motorise them, with linked sound effects. All of the technology exists, and is used in ship and railway modelling, and it surprises me that Hornby, who already have the facilities in their railway models, haven't tried it with Airfix. Just imagine:

"Contact"

(Spins prop with overscale finger, and Merlin roar emanates)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

What I'd really like to do is motorise them, with linked sound effects. All of the technology exists, and is used in ship and railway modelling, and it surprises me that Hornby, who already have the facilities in their railway models, haven't tried it with Airfix. Just imagine:

"Contact"

(Spins prop with overscale finger, and Merlin roar emanates)

You mean like this bad boy, for their 1/24 aircraft line? 

• Like 2

I'm sure I have a recollection of both Tamiya and Revell kits being issued in 'Light and Sound' sets? That said I'm not sure I would pay extra for those sort of features given that I would probably only do it once to see what it looked and sounded like. Would be an interesting project to see if you could do it yourself to a 'standard' kit...

I fondly imagine that a spinning prop is less likely to sustain damage than a fixed one in that if you mishandle it, it moves rather than breaks. Since I tend not to handle my kits once they are finished this theory remains largely untested but I am a fan of any foolish notion that promises me less work later on :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm sure I have a recollection of both Tamiya and Revell kits being issued in 'Light and Sound' sets? That said I'm not sure I would pay extra for those sort of features given that I would probably only do it once to see what it looked and sounded like. Would be an interesting project to see if you could do it yourself to a 'standard' kit...

I fondly imagine that a spinning prop is less likely to sustain damage than a fixed one in that if you mishandle it, it moves rather than breaks. Since I tend not to handle my kits once they are finished this theory remains largely untested but I am a fan of any foolish notion that promises me less work later on :lol:

Given the sterling reputation of c.1971 British electrical technology, as exemplified by Lucas Industries, one imagines an Airfix electric motor of the day could produce some immensely exciting lights and sounds with very little warning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6