In a Hurri (2 x 1/72 Hasegawa/Fly Hurricanes)

PS. while now is not the time, clearly, to reward number one son, do let me know if you think he would like a quickbuild 109 for his Spitfire to shoot at, at some judicious moment. Or, whisper it, a Mustang?

And clearly the young pretender should now begin his own air force, so let me know what Grant might want.

I hope Mrs P's foot is not too painfjl, and recovers quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

As to what happened to the 109F thereafter, it's best to draw a veil upon the unhappy scene.

You're a better man than I am Edward, my treasures would go to placate no child, even be they the spawn of the Antichrist. I do agree with @06/24 A couple of  Quickbuild kits sound like a top idea, an intro to modelling with SPECIAL models JUST FOR HIM.

Steve.

• Like 3

I have to echo what Steve says.

My hackles go up when my lady gets too near any of my 'children', let alone a toddler. It won't be long before a bolt goes on my door as the grandson becomes more mobile and nosy.

As for the Hurri's, they're looking good and the seat is great all painted up.

Stuart

• Like 2

What a dramatic story! Again!

I'm really your fan. With children onboard (period of almost 10 years now!) I wasn't able to finish one single model! Of course I have started many of them, but... You know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

>Mrs P...  managed to probably break three of her toes in doing so.

>(she went over her handlebars while cycling and fractured her skull on a steel pole, to the point where her forehead was literally cracked open with an immense flap of skin peeled back, but instead of passing out and dying, as the immutable laws of nature dictated, she stormed up a culvert and into the road,

It's a redhead thing, apparently. From what I've read they don't process pain in quite the same way that the rest of us do. Why this is so, I do not know.

Also, nice job on the wee Hurricanes thus far.

• Like 1

Well

22 hours ago, 06/24 said:

PS. while now is not the time, clearly, to reward number one son, do let me know if you think he would like a quickbuild 109 for his Spitfire to shoot at, at some judicious moment. Or, whisper it, a Mustang?

And clearly the young pretender should now begin his own air force, so let me know what Grant might want.

Oh goodness, how generous! Honestly, the Weebs is a little overfurnished with toys at the moment, so on his behalf I fear I must decline -- or at least defer your kind offer. On the other hand, he turns three in October...

22 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I hope Mrs P's foot is not too painfjl, and recovers quickly.

She seems to have made a full recovery, aside from some vivid blood blisters, but cocky self-confident creature that she is, they didn't stop her from wearing open-toed sandals all day.

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You're a better man than I am Edward, my treasures would go to placate no child, even be they the spawn of the Antichrist. I do agree with @06/24 A couple of  Quickbuild kits sound like a top idea, an intro to modelling with SPECIAL models JUST FOR HIM.

Steve.

I feel a lot of sympathy for Winston, even when -- perhaps especially when -- he's being naughty. I was not a well-behaved child, and I was reminded of it frequently. Like him, I suffered from asthma, and like him, I had to use steroid inhalers to help with my breathing, which didn't help matters at all. I see him struggle against the universe, which feels so inimical to him, and I see myself struggling. Everything broken in him was broken in me a long time before he ever existed. I'm sure this leads to terrible parenting and I'm doing an awful job, but it makes me think of the only decent passage Thomas Pynchon ever wrote (Gravity's Rainbow is largely unreadable garbage and I'll fight to the death anyone who says different, but this part might be worth the whole festering mess of the rest of the book) "... But on the way home tonight, you wish you'd picked him up, held him a bit. Just held him, very close to your heart, his cheek by the hollow of your shoulder, full of sleep. As if it were you who could, somehow, save him. For the moment not caring who you're supposed to be registered as. For the moment, anyway, no longer who the Caesars say you are." And anyway, it was only a 109.

When he gets big enough to build kits, I want to get him some of the lovely AMT 1/48 scale WWII commemorative series boxings, which were the first kits I have a real memory of building; a family friend took me to Airventure at Oshkosh (this was in 1992, when it wasn't entirely weird and nerve-wracking to let your nine-year-old go on a three-hour -- one way! -- road trip with a guy who lived down the block) and I got the Spitfire VIII and the 109G and built and painted them under the covers of my bed with some Testors enamels I somehow had, ruining the sheets forever. Right now he builds things with bristle blocks and Duplos, the latter merely being Legos that have been held back a few years. 

Anyhow, got some more done on the Hurricanes tonight. 

The poor fit of the Vokes filter on the kit is simply shocking. I have two filters and only one Hurricane needing one, and experimented with sanding down one and clamping another, and here's my best result:

30254998458_2e345dee29_h.jpg20180818_203505 by Edward IX, on Flickr

44074401252_965180b5c1_h.jpg20180818_211540 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It's gonna need a lot of work to fair it in. 

43216429115_6b2339cdbb_h.jpg20180818_214345 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Happily the England-based IIa didn't need a filter, and the lower panel fit fairly well there:

30254994808_8074712606_h.jpg20180818_214431 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It did, however, have pronounced sink marks over the outboard guns (the IIa wings also double as 12-gun IIb wings), which I masked off and filled with Mr Surfacer 500:

30254993488_7f82387ca2_h.jpg20180818_214439 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also filled in the casing ejector ports and will have to fill in the gun bay access panels. 

30254994738_1b24f35ee2_h.jpg20180818_214434 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Other than that, at least, not too much filler looks to be needed:

30254995628_e7ca119373_h.jpg20180818_214425 by Edward IX, on Flickr

29185643057_cf0bacf8d7_h.jpg20180818_214338 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Sanding between the two bumps at the extreme end up the upper cowling may be a wee bit tricky. 

• Like 14

And anyway, it was only a 109.

As I said. you're a better man than I & after reading that pasaage, I appreciate how our personal experiences are true only unto ourselves & how truly hard it is to walk a mile in someone elses shoes. I do think Winston is probably lucky to have the Dad he has with the empathy you show even though you sometimes seem to try to hide it.

Hurris looking good.

Steve.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure this leads to terrible parenting and I'm doing an awful job

Well I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I know that's not true.

And it's unsurprising and right and proper that small people want to play with our creations, it would be a sad world of we didn't encourage that. And it was only a 109...

Remind me nearer October of the Illinois airforce's requirements and I'll see what I can organise. 

Yesterday 06/24 minor and I had occasion to visit our LHS, and he was utterly unenthusiastic en route (I fear I may not be much cop at this parenting lark, either!) On arrival he vanished into the depths, emerging with two Airfix quickbuilds and a curt instruction to me to find the paint and CA accelerator I needed, as, wait for it, "I'll pay for it all on my card". Be still my beating heart. My son is treating me in the model shop. 

Excellent progress on the hurrying Hurris.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

On the other hand, he turns three in October...

Aha! The end of 'The Terrible Twos', a day to be celebrated :) 

Nasty Vokes filter but I'm sure you'll master it. Nice work on the other one, looking good PC...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm sure this leads to terrible parenting and I'm doing an awful job,

Hello PC as someone who's been there and been a parent let me say this. At the end of the day if the children are asleep in there beds, without illness or any serious injuries from accidents. Then in my eyes you’re truly a good parent. In my humble opinion parenting seems best if its viewed as a “one day at a time” thing. 

Dennis

• Like 5

So I decided to experiment.

43237833545_ca52cea56a_h.jpg20180819_205109 by Edward IX, on Flickr

No, not with sex, drugs, or alcohol, but something infinitely cooler, something much more likely to make the ladies sit up and take notice of yr. humble scribe, a mixture of Mr Levelling Thinner and Tamiya White Putty, applied by flat brush to those awful crenellations standing in for fabric abaft the cockpit. My thinking is that this might be substantially less labour-intensive (and infintely more toxic) than Tony's cunning solution of using filler and sanding it down, as the levelling thinner should hopefully do the work for me in all respects.

Another long weekend day for us here at Hedgehog Manor, we did loads of yardwork, inflated an absurdly large pool for the kids, Winston toppled the stone birdbath like it was a statue of Lenin in 1991, and we took the boys to the supermarket, where they were surprisingly well behaved, aside from Grant bleating almost exactly like Melchett every couple of minutes.

29206655127_7994231760_h.jpg20180819_114838 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Anyway, the Hurricanes. I covered the redundant gun bay access panels with Mr Surfacer (and sanded down the centreline filler and then added Mr Surfacer over it as a belt-and-bracers fix for any seams):

43237855365_f8ff5a7d3b_h.jpg20180819_205043 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Did some more filling on the atrocity that is the Vokes filter-chin join:

44144281801_bd1a8a12ca_h.jpg20180819_205057 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Put some Mr Surfacer 1000 on some slightly gappy wing root seams:

43237832525_a0b1e7d27d_h.jpg20180819_205100 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And added the canopies. 

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wait, lazier and more toxic? What's the catch?

Cookie, you haven't been posting nearly enough lately. Glad that's changing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Lots of filling, ugh, but you'll have that sorted in no time :) 

The hope is that there'll be minimal filing, Buffers old top! The self-levelling makes the filler flow down the recesses (okay, sort of, in the sense that the brush puts it there), and my hope is that only a very light sand will be needed. As we say on Twitter, BIG IF TRUE

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

So I decided to experiment.

43237832525_a0b1e7d27d_h.jpg

Now that's an idea, will be interested to see if it works.  I need something like this as I have an Italeri Sunderland AND a Trumpeter Wellington in the upcoming build pile..

Just now, Killingholme said:

Now that's an idea, will be interested to see if it works.  I need something like this as I have an Italeri Sunderland AND a Trumpeter Wellington in the upcoming build pile..

For that I'm thinking syringe with Mr Surfacer 1000; I did some initial tests on an Airfix Spitfire I and I think 500 is too thick, but 1000 shallows things out nicely. The trick is getting enough control of the syringe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

My wife was just peering over my shoulder- and after the customary rolling of eyes said "what you want there is a henna applicator bottle"...

Tell me more!

On 8/18/2018 at 5:18 AM, Procopius said:

and then he toddled over to the completed models cabinet, where he first told me "I yub the Mustang!" (a dagger to my heart) and then made off with one of my Fine Molds Bf 109Fs, entirely because it's one of a very few models I have whose prop turns. As to what happened to the 109F thereafter, it's best to draw a veil upon the unhappy scene.

Edward,

I feel your pain. 

When my son, Louis, was 2, he got into my display cabinet when I was otherwise engaged and dismantled about 13 of my completed models.  He particularly enjoyed removing prop blades individually, probably saying something like, "she loves me [snap!], she loves me not [snap!]", as he did so.

Anyway, once my wife and I had discovered what was going on, the resulting parental chastising was such that he has never done anything similar since.

I did manage to repair the majority of the afflicted, but ever since, I have referred  to the episode as The Day of Infamy.

Regards

Martin

PS good progress on the Hurris btw.

• Like 3

So here we are,

44167850351_faaa3a7420_h.jpg20180820_223845 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Perfect? Nah. But servicable? We'll know after I get some primer on! Antici...

Filled in some sink marks and the gun panels:

30301058568_f83d85c7c1_h.jpg20180820_223940 by Edward IX, on Flickr

(Hopefully) eradicated the cowl seam:

42359808890_a77562ef62_h.jpg20180820_223958 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Applied an extra coat to the cannon-armed Hurricane to see how it fares, will sand down tomorrow:

29230743187_d4b88e7c05_h.jpg20180820_224011 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Mrs P returns to teaching tomorrow, heralding the death of Fun Melanie until June of 2019. I'll miss her. Today, for her last hurrah, she took the boys to Lake Michigan, which is a very short walk from our home.

44120112652_6857d3f927_h.jpg2018-08-20_10-55-07 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 13