Revell Viking Ship 1/50 scale

This is my take on the Revell 1/50 scale Viking Ship. I know next to nothing about Norse Long Ships, but the model looks a lot to me like the 9th Century Gokstad ship displayed at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo, Norway. The kit matches that graceful design pretty closely, right down to the hand made look of the clinker-constructed hull planks.

5ozxUpX.jpg?1

After the quick hull assembly was a lot of less-than-exciting parts clean up: 64 shields, 32 oars, a two-part mast and numerous other assorted bits... but this really is a nicely designed kit. The dragon head, for example, is apparently inspired by a real one from the 5th Century – pretty cool:

KyviuWg.jpg?2  0xEnE0F.jpg?1

Plus, Revell’s molded-in wood grain detail is phenomenal!

g99Qupe.jpg?2

I gave the “wood” parts a Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow acrylic base coat, and the only color is the Tamiya XF-63 German Grey for the “iron” bits – shield bosses, figurehead mounts, and mast hardware. I let the paint cure for a couple of days, and then did a streaky wash with Grumbacher Raw Umber artist's oil to bring out the wood grain. It was very straightforward project, and with nearly everything the same wood color things went pretty fast.

CeArHNd.jpg

RSjVYPN.jpg

55j7j9K.jpg

laH5vOm.jpg

jtXY9qS.jpg

jO6PUw4.jpg

83xaIni.jpg

QFolChO.jpg

Except for the rolled facial tissue sail, everything on the model was right out of the box – a great relaxation build!

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 29

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Great job all those shields must have taken some imagination with all the different patterns to paint 👍🏻

Beefy 

8tVJRh1.jpg?1

3ABKlU3.jpg

Thanks, but they were actually Revell's decals provided in the kit. Super easy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

looks smashing - nice work on the shields too. I built Emhars Gokstad some years back but by the time it got to the shields, I had lost the will to live and did not go mad adding decals or colourful designs.

"Shield Wall" !

• 5 months later...