IMC MiG 21D (battle damaged) 1/72

This is a MiG 21D All Weather Fighter in 1/72 scale. The kit was issued in the 1960s by the long-defunct Industro Motive Corporation (IMC) along with several U.S. jets of the era. The models were fairly basic efforts which have all since been eclipsed by newer, better kits, but what was unusual about them was the inclusion of special alternate “battle damaged” parts – very cool!

Bcou9w3.jpg

zlkTvso.jpg

QlGQY4G.jpg

85E4il8.jpg

qjs5tyZ.jpg

zrbKcuN.jpg

cjsfKMe.jpg

R1tibGv.jpg

Edited by Tim Reynaga
add pictures
  • Like 25

Now there's a trip down memory lane! I remember seeing a few of the series built up in the window of Patricks Model Shop in Fulham, way back in time. Your model brought back those memories, Ta.

There was also a Skyhawk, F105 and I think possibly an F4 in the series.

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

Interesting.

Is the pilot on the sprue with his hands over his face also battle-damaged??

W4KFFFS.jpg?2

In a sense, yes; in addition to the alternative battle damaged parts, IMC provided two pilots in the kit as well – one standard, and one about to punch out of the stricken aircraft!

xmfhslX.jpg?3

Edited by Tim Reynaga
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyW said:

Now there's a trip down memory lane! I remember seeing a few of the series built up in the window of Patricks Model Shop in Fulham, way back in time. Your model brought back those memories, Ta.

There was also a Skyhawk, F105 and I think possibly an F4 in the series.

You are right, Tony. There was also a single piston engine aircraft, a Skyraider.

IMC was an interesting, if sketchy, company. Their "battle damage" concept was a truly innovative idea, but they also engaged in some sharp business practices. For example, their F-105 Thunderchief so closely resembled Monogram's F-105 kit (it was essentially a direct copy, in fact) that Monogram actually successfully sued them for copyright infringement. Maybe that's part of why IMC went out of business in the 1960s.

:bandit:

Edited by Tim Reynaga

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm always excited to see unusual kits like this actually built, especially when they look so good! Great work Tim and thanks for taking the time to share your photos.

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Now I really like that, unusual and beautifully built.

Thank you gentlemen!

1mTS1XB.jpg

• Like 1

I love your MiG!  Also like the fact that IMC went with the old style North Vietnamese Air Force yellow stars which were used up until I believe 1964.  (North Vietnam didn't receive the -21 until 1966).  They also offered what I think were North Korean markings as well (Red stars with white circles).  The entire collection was the:  MiG-21D (PF), F-100, F-105, RF-4B, A-1 Skyraider, and A-4 Skyhawk.  Of course, the no good commie pinko MiG-21, has the pilot punching out, while the gallant US pilots got their battle damaged planes home!  IMC was bought out by Testors, then sold to the reincarnation of Lindberg.  You can still get them today.  But in 1966, this was one of the coolest kits around.  Looks like the MiG-21 ran afoul of a gun toting F-105 or F-8 or perhaps an expanding rod warhead of an AIM-9 Sidewinder!

Wow!

I haven't seen one of these finished since I built them back in the '60s.

Round 2 released some of them under the Lindberg name not long ago.

I'd forgotten how crude they really were. The glowing vision of youth no doubt.

Very nice build!

Never knew this kit existed, but you've done an ace job of it!

Might seem gimmicky today, but innovations like the battle damage suggest imaginative marketing, which might not be a bad thing nowadays.

Thanks for showing.

:goodjob: