Reno racer- Crossed the line!

Hey Guys, you know  what this GB needs ?  A bronze painted Mustang  with go faster stripes and a prop painted the colours of the rainbow. Lucky for y'all, I got here just in time fill this gaping void. So here's the obligatory sprue shot:

sprues.jpg

And some naff Red Pegasus ALPS decals that might work (+ some very dark looking Mr Paint bronze).

markings.jpg

When its done , at least Ol' Yeller will have a buddy, its lonely on his shelf...

solonely.jpg

Its a light conversion compared to the BF109V14 I'm just about to finish: Removal of guns & radio, clipped concave wing tips & elevators, a funky new aerial and finally an uncuffed prop from the dozen or so F-51s I picked up at Home Bargains a few years back in 2016  I did the same kit as Bob Hoovers ( now solitary) Cavalier Reno start plane and remember it had no vices apart from the annoying canopy with a separate frame which drove me nuts as I had to remove the brace and the clear bit wouldn't  line up. Still it should be hoot and something you don't see every day!

Cheers

Anil 

• Like 6

On 8/16/2018 at 1:19 PM, Paul J said:

Lovely ideas and subjects... P-51 Mustangs in civvies. Nice.... but its a shame that Red Pegasus aren't trading at the moment.

That would be tad difficult as Keith Davidson, the proprietor died back in 2017...That said his research was truly excellent but the last few batches of decals were truly horrible, his ALPS printer had printer head issues and  and I think his illness  made him take his eye off the ball. See  my 109V14 build for examples. 

Red Pegasus decals turn up on eBay but look closely before buying, if its a late batch steer well clear

Anil

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my 109 racer and FW190 blue nose are done, time for a little P51 love. First up the pit: From memory I remember many Reno P51s/Cavaliers being stripped of the usual jump seat and one occasion, even the floor behind the pilot seat. I imagine it was a weight saving thing so I've recreated that as best as I can remember.

42538946740_ef3a183504_b.jpg

The Eduard belts are standing in for a modern harness and the I have a few of these lovely Yahu etch IP so that went in-missing all the modern gubbins buts its gonna be in flight with a closed canopy. Most Reno P-51 cockpits tend to be some nondescript gray primer, so Stynylres will do as is. Seat of course has lost its armor plating

43441115295_2408920de4_b.jpg

Wing gun shell chutes filled with black superglue

29410741827_48085ab86f_b.jpg

Tomorrow sees fuselage zipped up and I'm having second thoughts about the truly horrible ,smeary Red Pegasus decals so blue may be the new bronze....

drawdecals.jpg&key=cf39695ecf0b8ed26ba57

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seemed to have parked this as I truly hated those Red Pegasus decals but these arrived today and there must one that crying to be applied to my little pony? But not Miss America, she's gonna be one of the gorgeous  Hasegawa P-51Ds I have in the stash. I'm looking at Risky Business and the all black one very favourably...I have some Stylnylres gloss black and white that needs testing...:think:

44599027881_74eff529d3_b.jpg

• Like 2

Time for some action methinks, checked the decals and it was no brainer:

Risky Business. Polished fuselage, white wings and tail planes with red custom race tips.

44671462272_267e328a38_b.jpg

A bit of mild surgery on the tips

44002784854_31e27a37d4_b.jpg

30850435968_d88981c973_b.jpg

44720519231_882c1ef356_b.jpg

Close enough for a puff on the cigar. Everything zipped up and waiting for the main canopy to dry after a bath in Future to hide the sprue removal blemishes.

42911292120_48e07917e5_b.jpg

Got to get a sprint on and will hopefully get the main colours on tomorrow, gotta have a Reno racer or two in the gallery! 

Cheers

Anil

• Like 6

A small update, did the wings with stylnylres white and the tips with Mr Hobby H327. Interesting that after 9 hours the H327/Mr leveling is still tacky unlike the usual dry as bone in 20 mins. Is also a pig to get out of mt H&S Evolution, even after a bath in gun thinners...

44717055662_7f2ee20b0b_b.jpg

May get the masking and grey undercoat for the polished aluminium fuselage on tomorrow dependent on the M25. I've been spoilt by paint and primer  that dries rock hard in 20 minutes, forgot about the days of waiting, ah yes those dim, distant days when I used Xtracolor, rock hard and bone dry in a week, maybe two ...

• Like 5

Wow , two days of masking, spraying and masking some more and we have an airframe...

44087870614_42fc9c81f3_b.jpg

img

Pleased with Alclad polished aluminium, some folks complain about Alclad but It seems to be child's play apart from being so thinned the pipettes drip everywhere. And it dries in minutes unlike the Mr Hobby H327 which is still tacky after three days hence the tape marks, some gloss coating should remedy that. 

Now to the pointy bit, Airfix give you the standard blunt spinner, meh,

44087862054_34064f47b7_b.jpg

Added some Milliput fine to lengthen it and  a few  messy minutes of grinding and polishing...

44758107292_70252b22b0_b.jpg

Undercoated in stylnylres gloss black and with same polished aluminium Alclad, turned out nice and shiny, if I could have bothered to hit it with 12000 micromesh I bet I would have got a mirror finish, nice to know.

44758106602_5f4f14c556_b.jpg

Wacky prop has the uncuffed front face only in polished aluminium, rest in flat (Tamiya nato) black, an hour of masking...

img%5D

Tomorrow sees an Aqua gloss coat as opposed to my usual  Gunze super UV cut/leveling as I don't think the Alclad will like being hit with so much cellulose thinner. Saturday for the "digital silk" ( probably a Roland versaprint or similar ) decals that are intriguing if you haven't used them before. I might just get this in the gallery by midnight Sunday.

Good night and good king Wenceslas to you all.

-Anil

• Like 5

Another solid days of modeling afforded by the lousy weather, I was supposed to be flying a PA28 out of Blackbushe but the howling gales and lashing rains had me safely ensconced in my workroom with Risky Business. Forgot that Alclad Aqua glass is rock hard in an about an hour so hurled myself into decalling and voila, all done! Drawdecals behaved superbly, just had to remember to trim nearly to the colour for each decal and the boiling water/kitchen towel trick.

She's a pretty l'l thing ain't she?

img

Loving the racing prop.

43917825915_4efd060721_b.jpg

Well I've earned my sundowner today. Tomorrow, its the final gloss coat, making a magnetic stand as is my wont and attaching prop plus a bent wire aerial to the spine, gentleman we may have a finish!

Cheers 

Anil

• Like 6

"Gentlemen, you have a finish!"

Last minute touch ups to the hokey Airfix canopy, some micromeshing of Mr Hobby dark Iron that I smudged on the decals and some pointless detail additions:

44796150172_1e2b8ee4ea_b.jpg

The Alclad polished aluminium looks a bit flat under the two layers of aqua gloss but I wanted to see the contrast between gloss black stylnylres (as used on the spinner)  and the standard black stylnylres on the airframe. In truth Risky was polished to within an inch of her skin and should shine even more than the spinner but I observed  how easily the paint came off the unvarnished spinner. A few mistakes as well, I'm pretty sure that the rudder should be white not silver as Drawdecals suggest and the wingtips aren't quite right, I literally followed the decal reference and in reality they're bolt on "winglets" that curve up. Another thing to watch for is the Eduard masks have a rather bogus shape towards the rear of the main canopy, I was going to cut a new set with my Cricut Air but as this was a quickie, I let it be, as Paul urges us all to.

img

Punched out 1.4 mm lenses for the lights that no one will ever see...

44845896131_10c736e175_b.jpg

Sweet little aerial, looks properly scale, made from 0.2 mm nickel rod

30973613978_aabf746518_b.jpg

Kit has some questionable fit and engineering, especially the canopy but at £4.99 complaining would be churlish. This is the model I'm most pleased with to date, lovely little pony with no guns and no camo! Last WIP beauty shot and tomorrow the DSLR comes out for the gallery shots, finishing is fun.

img

• Like 4

Obviously you didn't read Enzo's OP

Post your completed builds here. No more than five photos per entry.

Please do not post comments in this thread. All comments should go in the subject's build thread

Hello @Ratch & @azureglo. Yes i posted Six photos, if its a bother i will gladly remove one. I didn't think one over would really be an issue ? However if it is ? 

Dennis

PS- Since the Gallery is closed i contacted Enzo and asked if he would remove the 6th photo. My humblest of apologies if i upset anyone. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Why bother having any rules? Lets build Tamiya Mustangs in the Airfix GB! If I'd noticed Denis's excess image I'd have posted the same. In the last GB I participated on BM folks posted comments in the Gallery when asked not to. Obviously BMGBs are not for me!

• Sad 1

Oh yes they are, Ratch, they are for all of us. Some of us have been here doing this for longer than some others; some know the rules better than others. When we get excited about finishing our builds and forget the five pic rule, there are ways to remind the happy modeller about it; using a "confused"- emoji may not be the most educational and clear way to do it but as we saw , in the end it does the trick too. I agree with you completely on your remarks re following the rules. A PM or a written comment on the build thread might still be a better way to communicate.

I hope I don´t get slapped for taking part in other peoples´ argument 🙂 . V-P

• Like 2

Come on guys.  People do make the odd mistake when posting photos, usually because they are excited to joing in the fun of the GB. 

For the record, all the people who posted more than the required number of pictures in the Gallery have since contacted me to have the extra ones removed.  Everyone is following the rules and having fun. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1