Hawker Hunter, 54 Sq., RAF, West Raynham, June 1968...

Back from Athens this morning after two very nice days off-island.  Stopped in to the local model shop and had a chat with the lads and also picked up an old Airfix Strikemaster.  Singaporean Air Force anyone?

In any case...back the to bench I went and after a quick review I realized I was ready to add some decals.  Now, if this were to be a 'wheels-up' build, it would be easy, but it is not, so the underside required special care.

29327286447_211eb73ab3_z_d.jpg

You get the idea, right?  This isn't my first go-round with this type of thing, so using my finely tuned eyeball I conducted some surgery!

43357374575_fde2a81d49_z_d.jpg

And so...

42455494770_28a825bcc4_z_d.jpg

And there we have it...with the flaps open, a micro-millimetre difference here or there won't be noticable.  Unless, of course, one of you wants to come down here with a laser and measure!  Ha!

43357373285_836d4e7e20_z_d.jpg

To be honest, I didn't stop there.  I completed the build after a few hours.  All that was left were the rest of the decals * (including stencils), attaching the landing gear, the fuel tanks and rocket pods and all the assorted very, very, very small bits that one throws out because it looks like the sprue is empty...egads!   I'll post some pre-weathering images tomorrow when the light is better.  In terms of weathering, I will probably just try to bring out some panel lines and give it some exhaust staining.  Nothing much.

* The decals are wonderful in this kit.  Not too thin, not too thick and they behave very well with Micro-Sol.  The detail of the stencils is excellent and there are even caution strips for the canopy.  Be warned!  It is almost impossible to see the caution strips on the decal sheet and I almost missed them.  

--John 

Edited by John D.C. Masters
splleging
  • Like 5

Ok...I let everything set for a night and this is what I have this morning.

29336211407_8a5db8dd5b_z_d.jpg

43366555575_bcdb877341_z_d.jpg

And a bit from this angel to see how the decals came out on the underside.  Pretty much alright, I think.

42464649910_a926dbc677_z_d.jpg

I have just given the Hunter a light coating of thinned Vallejo Satin Varnish.  In a few hours I'll begin some light weathering and be done!  I'll write a little kit review when I post in the gallery this evening.  

--John

• Like 4

Thank you very much Redstaff.  

To continue...I have chosen another 'light' weathering with Flory Wash.  I used the white with just a touch of grime to darken it a bit...

44276906181_5e73dd0cc4_z_d.jpg

I used the same with the underside, but I made it a bit darker.  I don't want the Hunter to look dirty, but seeing as this was a 1968 bird and close to retirement, I imagine it had some wear on the flip side.  I have neglected to photograph that, so you'll have to trust me.

After a bit the Flory had dried enough and, 12 ear buds later with two broken parts repaired, I have set it on the shelf next to its Belgian cousin, built during the most recent Hawker-Siddley GB.  Finished I think.  The rest of the images are in the gallery.

43371035295_51914f6950_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4