BN-2 Islander - Airfix 1/72 - HM Coastguard

This is the old Airfix BN-2 Islander kit representing "Echo November" of HM Coastguard. Don't see many BN-2's built which is a shame as this was a nice little kit. The only major modification was sawing off of the wingtips to give this squared off tips as the real version of this particular airframe has. I added some fasteners on the engine cowlings and shortened the nose gear which otherwise gave it an unrealistic nose up attitude., Oh and the nose is stuffed with ball bearings and it just about avoids tipping backwards!! Otherwise it is pretty much OOB bar some reduction of the raised detail, a few panel lines scribed here and there and the aerial fit.

43329602424_d722cbc420_o.jpgbn2e 

44048231351_1ddd406a91_o.jpgbn2a 

Decals were from Two-Six and with the red elements being sprayed Tamiya Gloss Red which looked to be the closest match to the real thing. Hope you like!

Pat

44048230791_ed82585672_o.jpgbn2h 

43329602294_7f14d80753_o.jpgbn2i 

44048230901_4eb32ce88c_o.jpgbn2f 

44048231041_d38eb10497_o.jpgbn2d 

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Great kit. Wonder what Airfix did with the moulds?

Built it three times and stull still want to build another one.

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

Fantastic build!

I'm somewhat an Islander fan, as our regional airport (coastal SE Queensland, Australia) had one or two for hops to the nearby Fraser Island.

Not daring to show my build, as it pales by comparison - and I was unaware of that wingtip issue.

The subtle weathering is perfect; and difficult to achieve on a white finish.

I'm in awe.

:worthy:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kapam said:

and I was unaware of that wingtip issue.

Thanks for the kind comments all. Kapam - the wings are correct for certain airframes. The kit wingtips flare upwards and outwards at the trailing edges and you can see that some BN-2s have that feature. Be interested if anyone knows if this feature was added or deleted at some point in the production run or what determines which aircraft have it. I've changed the text above so it is clear I was only talking about this airframe and not that all Airfix BNs need their wings clipping!!

Edited by Pat C

As others have said, great to see an Airfix Britten-Norman Islander kit built up and you have done a nice job with this model and presented it in a different colour scheme, which is also nice to see. I have a loose affiliation with the aircraft since my late Father was originally from the I.O.W. and I spent two years at a school in Bembridge that overlooked the Airfield and Britten-Norman factory; the son of Desmond Norman went to the same school. Their Islanders, Trislanders and Defenders regularly used to fly close to the school during their test and pre-acceptance flights.

Great Stuff !         

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnny akes said:

Great work Pat, a real blast from the past - I remember the original versions of this kit were cast in bright yellow plastic, is this one of those?

Fortunately not! This was the BN Defender boxing which I think may have come after the yellow moulded version. It was more conventionally  moulded in white plastic.

smashing build there - another of my all time old faves from Airfix - You have made great work of some very old plastic there and nice to see one not wearing the standard issue yellow-orange paint.

I was lucky to have been ferried to St Marys and back on one of the borrowed Channel Isles fleet many years back while the BA Lands End Scillies service had their S-61NM's off doing more important rig work - frightened the life out of me and I had a big sack of Royal Mail on the seat next to me to share the journey with

Nice work there once again

• Like 1

Pat

Thats one great looking Islander fantastic work,  I was lucky enough to see her spectacular departures from Manston a couple of times one very tight left hand low level turn stands out.  You've captured her well :worthy:

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

• Like 1