This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
JohnT

Kit Collectors - Help is at Hand

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

When you pay 190 squids for that kit that  was 1s/6d when you were a kid.

How painfully true 😁

I've just been typing for 10 minutes ,It went off and wasn't saved, lost, gone . Can't be bothered to start again.. What happened to saved ?

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

So do I get a Government grant or not?

NO!

You'd only go and spend it on summat you really don't need! :whistle:

7 hours ago, paul178 said:

So Ozzie Osbourne is sane then?

Nah, he's just a Brummie! :bounce:

12 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

That's me obsessed then....

11 hours ago, bzn20 said:

lost, gone .

Britmodellers' X Files becons :)

This happens a lot to me but somebody in IT explained that the nut between the seat and the keyboard was at fault on most occasions.  I blame the lack of steam in the boiler.

4 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

nut between the seat and the keyboard was at fault on most occasions

All I did was hit space bar somywordswouldn'tlooklikethis ! And I got the one wheel of a one armed Bandit screen scrolling at the speed of a fast thing. My waffle was gone … Lucky for you lot is what I say ! BTW I haven't got that auto save thingy down the bottom of this either , where is that gone ? How do I get that back ?

Don't ask me..I am that nut.

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

From little acorns grows chaos.

So, what you're saying is, to those that watched "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" we know the meaning of life,

but Boris was an Acorn???!! :wicked:

I'm not sure. 

There are probably at least 42 trains of thought on that subject.

I thought Boris was a type of bike?

Be confussted no longer..........the Boris to which I refer is the one who's Father is currently on the BBC programme

'The real Marigold Hotel', him by the name of Stanley!

Ah, I think Her indoors watches that sort of thing.

I generally stick to car restoration programmes and faffing around on this thing.

Waste not, want not - I wonder if my wife qualifies for Carer's Allowance...

The sort of hoarding that is being classed as a disorder makes anything that has appeared on this thread look like the stuff that is in a kitchen drawer. Mrs T used to visit a couple where to get into the house was a major achievement as they kept everything, to go upstairs was a dangerous undertaking as the stairs had piles of newspapers on them floor to ceiling. 

The Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 was discussing hoarding as a mental illness today, but I only heard snatches of it.

It seems to me that any activity done to the point that it harms the person doing it (or those around them) shows a degree of mental ill health.

3 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

The Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 was discussing hoarding as a mental illness today, but I only heard snatches of it.

It seems to me that any activity done to the point that it harms the person doing it (or those around them) shows a degree of mental ill health.

Stewart

a long time ago at university I did the forensic medicine class for law students.  One term featured a series of lectures on Forensic Psychiatry from the head doc at Carstairs secure mental hospital.  On about the third week of lectures he suddenly stopped mid lecture and said "By now you will all be wondering about your own mental health as you will recognise many of the  characteristics I am lecturing on in your personality.  Do not worry that is normal.  Its when its taken to an extreme excess that is becomes an illness"   There was much relieved nervous laughter. 

I still wonder when I look at the stash though............

I have to agree JohnT. 

I recall a book I read many years ago about mental illness. One of the little tests in it was to, while in a quiet room/space, in your mind, ask yourself a question about something you are worried about or that concerns you and listen (within your mind) to hear if you get an answer. A lot of people will feel that they get a faint response ( that 'little voice in the back of my mind' that many people speak of), I know that I do, and that is fine, perfectly normal. Some believe it is God guiding them, others an errant leakage of the thought process others yet that it is your deeper conscious advising you or even your 'sixth sense' trying to guide you. Who knows what it really is. In a world where science theorises, and can prove the theoretical validity of that theory, that we could be living in one dimension of a greater machine or one of many universes or even a computer program , all bets are off but, if that voice becomes strident, you've got problems. 

Fact is that the brain is an immensely complex and peculiar device that is very finely balanced and can be thrown off it's correct operation in many directions and so we all exhibit the traits which, if the balance gets thrown, can become a serious mental illness. Whenever I hear of someone struggling with a serious mental health issue I remind myself that 'There but for the grace of God go I'. I doubt that we will ever fully understand the human brain or even consciousness but one hopes that we will continue to try to find ways (other than pumping people full of drugs) to help people regain their balance. 

I would honestly never have thought that it was a question of "Is hoarding a mental illness?" as it is obviously so, even from just a basic review of one or two cases. In a world where we don't feel secure in a supportive community it is all too easy to build a fortress of junk in the hopes of keeping the world out. 

The difference, as far as I see it between collecting and hoarding is, as I said before, mental balance. Acquiring rare and desirable objects (to us at least) is normal human behaviour but, when we have an all consuming desire to hoover up everything and lose the sense of discrimination between good and bad, the balance is gone and we have a problem.

I object to most of them being called illnesses. They're quirks or traits - the way we deal with things. Still these psychoanalysts have got to justify their existence and labelling them as illnesses does that.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:05 PM, Tzulscha said:

Now here's an interesting idea: As someone who trained as a psychologist and is a "holy grail" collector: Its a known behavior that as we get older , the nostalgia syndrome kicks in. The happiness ( or perceived happiness) of childhood, the freedom from responsibility, food/music/everything was better etc. As I approach 60 I see that I want recreate my childhood to balance the harsh reality (again perceived) of adult life and all its complications. 

In this case the "collection" is an attempt to re-create whatever feelings of happiness/contentment I have have convinced myself, that I had had when I was a child.

Also , I keep buying bigger houses every few years to store my "collection", that definitely helps too.

Just for the record...……………...

I am not a collector or a hoarder

I am a curator and custodian of a large mass of unmade kits that are waiting to be passed on to the next person who will look after them in the same manner that I do.

By the way … it was a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire that flew over the cuckoo's nest. :penguin::penguin:

Dick

3 hours ago, azureglo said:

Now here's an interesting idea: As someone who trained as a psychologist and is a "holy grail" collector: Its a known behavior that as we get older , the nostalgia syndrome kicks in. The happiness ( or perceived happiness) of childhood, the freedom from responsibility, food/music/everything was better etc. As I approach 60 I see that I want recreate my childhood to balance the harsh reality (again perceived) of adult life and all its complications. 

Na! Nostalgia is nowhere near as good as it was when I was a kid.

Those were the days.

Rickets, scurvy, a cold water tap between two families, outside toilets.

And you were free to whittle your own Spitfire out of Grandads old wooden leg.

Marvelous. 

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Grandads old wooden leg

Get down to the foot end and it's all cobblers .

4 hours ago, azureglo said:

...........Also , I keep buying bigger houses every few years to store my "collection", that definitely helps too.

Now THAT'S just showing off!! :whistle:

Bet you change yer car when the ashtrays full......................can I be your friend?!!!!!

49 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

................a cold water tap between two families, outside toilets.

tap? TAP! I have you know, young fella me lad, we had a pump shared by three houses, BUT, we did have three outside Loo's!

"We used to dream of......." Insert your own preference in a broad Yorkshire accent!