Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

17 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

But how were groundcrew to know not to smoke within 100 feet of the aircraft? Oh wait, I see it now.

That's looking so cool Ced.

Thanks Cookie :D 

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What? Where...?? :nerd:

There... and there... :D To be honest they've beaten me - some seem to be wrongly numbered ('Rudder Access' all over the place?) and I've now decided to 'be sensible' about them.

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really coming together now!

The paint work and decals make all the difference

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Just think Ced, the "Lizzie" has not got so many deals.

Nice going on the B 36 sir.

Simon.

Lizzie? What Li... oh right, the one I can go back to as soon as this monster is done. Can't wait :) 

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

You've heard the famous story about General Curtis LeMay, I presume? He pulled out an immense cigar (as was his wont) and began to smoke it near a fully-fueled and armed B-36 on alert status at a SAC base. 

"Sir," squeaked a nervous airman guarding the aircraft, "you can't smoke here. The plane might explode."

"Son, it wouldn't dare," replied the general. 

Great story, thanks PC :D 

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

No drinking within 100’ of the aircraft: no smoking less than 12 hours before flying...

Quite right Crisp, can't have any bad behaviour :D 

Jets were glued on before bed last night:

43800733065_459a876545_z.jpg

Of course the tailplane had 'No Step' markings on it:

29774319407_77549776aa_z.jpg

They're not right. The instructions say there should be two small 'No Step' outboard, #15, but the six on the sheet got used up on the nacelles - I checked. This may be a good time to reveal the error I teased you with earlier:

30842258548_9ec43ac63c_z.jpg

See? No, probably not... the outer 'No Step' should be one with the words above each other. Hah. Frankly, at this stage and after the jet problem (see below) I'm having trouble raising a damn. Sorry Phil.

Sticking on the bomb bay doors completes the fuselage:

43993568704_819c3b74dd_z.jpg

I've now removed the BluTak and they didn't fall off so one thing went right. Most of the stencils and the markings have gone on the wing underside:

43802985265_2cfca51d0b_z.jpg

So that just left four more decals - the stripy jet fronts:

43802874495_0fd5740608_z.jpg

You know how much I hate shark mouths? These are worse. Do they go on like this?

29774881867_0d5f403720_z.jpg

No. How about this way around?

44711622211_0330b4f569_z.jpg

No. Are they mis-numbered (as if) and go on the other side? No. 

This is the best fit I got:

44662828812_9a68388cae_z.jpg

One final blow :weep: So close and yet so far...

I'm going to have lunch and decide what to do, but right now I'm leaning towards leaving them off and just getting things together...

• Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Like Stephen, me too

You got the like for owning up about the footmarkers

You might lose it unless you seek the proper alignment in the destructions, surely they will come to your assistance

Ohhhh...

leave the boogers off says me or paint white panels and draw them on with a pencil, blue

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stephen, Dermot and Bill :) 

A nice Sunday Roast and decision made - she's finished. :yahoo:

With 265 photos this is the biggest album in my Flickr account and certainly the biggest model I've made to date.

Thanks again to Phil ( @HP42 ) for donating the kit - very kind and I hope you like what I've done with it.

An RFI seems a little cheeky as this is impossible to photograph. It won't really fit on the bench without risking knocking something off (the model or the bench):

30843187468_ac6bd03e56_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So the props were stuck on and she was walked around the man cave until I found somewhere safe to take some shots without having to stand on a table...

43804862655_f153117a58_z.jpg

44664532432_f2eb0c2761_z.jpg

43804879965_5dc00503c8_z.jpg

42903884920_364db47924_z.jpg

29777096807_b16a2b78ba_z.jpg

43804914745_894761415c_z.jpg

A recap on the internals, never to be seen again:

44031737662_096a242175_z.jpg

Of course I'll have to call the local authority for a special recycling collection for the box :D 

As I need some space (please, some SPACE) she's been put straight on the ceiling, shown here in formation with the Liberator:

29782343157_b9b7d5da6b_z.jpg

I hope the invisible thread is strong enough!

Thanks as always to your help, support and companionship during this build and to Phil again for the kit.

Now, where's that Lysander got to...

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys (especially Phil for the kit) :) 

It's still on the ceiling (phew!) and, if it's still there in the morning, I guess the thread will hold... it will won't it?

Lysander here I come!

• Like 2

Very nice job!  When complete, this model is just impressive because of it's size. I made one a couple of years ago with my Dad. He gave it to me when we were complete because he had no room for it, and it went straight on my ceiling! :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, opus999 said:

Very nice job!  When complete, this model is just impressive because of it's size. I made one a couple of years ago with my Dad. He gave it to me when we were complete because he had no room for it, and it went straight on my ceiling! :D

Thanks opus - Glad this brought up some memories :) 

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic build Ced, I'm espcially taken with contrast between the spinners and their (front?) backplates.

Thanks Cookie :) Pleased you noticed - an attempt to show that the engines vented through the back of the props.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's a bit awesome Ced, in fact quite a lot AWESOME. Impressive doesn't really cover it. Well done. :thumbsup:

Now, about that Lysander.....? :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve :) The Lizzie will get some attention now (once I remind myself what's going on...)

3 minutes ago, giemme said:

:wow:Great job, Ced, an all accounts! :clap: :clap: She looks impressively big, and I love that formation shot! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

• Like 2