Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

She is looking good in Black Ced, and a lot of paint/primer as well.

I use cotton buds to clean the bowl with, dipped in "Thinner" of one type or another.

Also I give the brush a blow back through the nozzle, just to check that it`s all clean.

A p.i.t.a. airbrushes are, but they give such a lovely finish, so they are worth it.

Carry on the great work sir.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, stevehnz said:

My thoughts  exackery, I though for one daft moment I had a chance for a front row seat, yeah right, it;ll be right at the back of the stalls again, strangely, I feel comfortable there, it must be the company. :D

Steve.

Sitting at the back is a good thing when you get to a certain age as you are both nearer the toilets..... 

And you can nip out to the Bar without being noticed, Lagavulin rather than Laphroaig please !

Apologies for being REALLY late joining this one. Likes lots of us on here I so wanted this kit when I was a nipper, just because it was the biggest one in 1/72. Seeing in next to the Stirling is absolutely jaw dropping.

I have read this thread all in one go, only stopping for occasional refreshments, fantastic. :worthy:

Look forward to the next instalment 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Keith and Simon - great cleaning tips :) 

Welcome Pat, nice to see you :) 

What's going on here I hear you ask…

29302036237_71d3c24464_z.jpg

Cannon masks. I wish I'd remembered that earlier...

43332064105_c6dfcd275a_z.jpg

I think I've completed the mask design. Having measured the walkway width at 1.2mm I was surprise when I checked the smaller decals and found they were 1mm. Hmmm. Checked the long decals again, this time with my reading glasses on and under a bright light:

29301816577_5a350be5f1_z.jpg

Ahem.

Measure twice, cut once, that's what they say. I wish I'd listened. 

could have bought some Aizu tape after all, but I'd still have to do the bendy masks. Ho hum.

Looking at the top nacelle markings it seems that the outer four engines have mirrored walkways but these, on the two inner engines, seem to be 'special' until you move them around a bit:

30370921998_c1bcf1ffdb_n.jpg 30370922008_d3fc00d179_n.jpg

They seem to be the same on both sides... we shall see.

Stay awake at the back there!

Design now complete and ready to cut:

29304695237_281a2aa814_z.jpg

Mrs B is off on hols tomorrow with her friend so I have the week home alone!

I have to take her to Gatwick in the morning and then I'm up to Bruntingthorpe for the open day - with @HP42 and earplugs.

I don't want to rush anything so I'll just have a planning session and pick this up again next week.

Have a good weekend all! :) 

• Like 21

Thanks for the info on the Silver. No top coat? 😮 Wowa, I’ll try that on a mule. Hmmmmmm 🤔 maybe that’s where I’m going wrong.

Excelent spraying there Mr B. A whole week alone? Blimey this’ll be finished by Friday then. 🤔

only kidding, you’re doing a fabulous job with those masks. Maybe I’ll give them a go one day. I do love decals though. 😊

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Thanks 1

A week to yourself, wow! I have a day to myself today, SWMBO has gone off with a friend to make dragonflies for the garden. I 've already spent nearly half the day without getting anywhere near the man cave but I'm just about to remedy that.

Hope you're having a good time at Bruntingthorpe.

John

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

SWMBO has gone off with a friend to make dragonflies for the garden.

Never considered where they come from before. I assumed it was something to do with mummy and daddy dragonfly.

Now, if only I could find the :swear: who make the wasps. 

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

Now, if only I could find the :swear: who make the wasps.

She's usually underground in the nest. Start digging and you'll find her, though I reckon it's been so warm this year that some nests are abandoned already.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, Johnny, John, Gorby, Chris and Martian :) 

I shall try to make best use of my time alone... a ha ha ha!

Bruntingthorpe was great, until it all went sideways... not the show, just the rain! We called it a day when our trousers were completely soaked and the cold wind started. Phil was prepared with over-trousers... I wish I'd listened. One stall was selling completed models and they were pretty good to be honest... then the wind blew the back of his tent open, blew over a table and half a dozen models went crash on the floor. So sad. I think he'd sold some of them too :( 

We did get to see the VC10, two L29s, two Buccaneers, a Canberra and Nimrod though. Great day.

Anyway, back to the B-36.

I'd masked off the holes that the wings go into which made checking the walkways awkward, but they look like they line up OK:

44276388212_6c2f732331_n.jpg 44324521911_bd33656dfe_n.jpg

I'll check again before I mask the wings. You'll notice the walkways are well defined so could be hand-painted I guess.

For me I'm using the Portrait-cut Oramask:

30458648468_9a6849a5f0_z.jpg

… that goes down well with a bit of a burnish:

43608605844_2570801e1c_z.jpg

I should be able to spray the 'Magnesium' now... not helped, I don't think, by the scheme that shows the Magnesium lighter than the aluminium. Tricky.

I've got several reference shots and a diagram that I hope will help.

Fingers crossed :) 

• Like 14

Felt like some painting this evening so checked the scheme and realised the bomb bay doors should be magnesium.

Rats. I'd done them aluminium.

No worries, the AK comes off with white spirit:

30460840648_3b45ed305a_z.jpg

Can you see where it's come off on the right?

You can also see in that shot how the instructions show the darker magnesium in a lighter colour, just to make it more fun :banghead:

5ml of thinned X-32 doesn't go far...

44327663381_b9aaf55c55_z.jpg

… and it's really highlighted the seam. Double rats. I hate re-doing jobs and I thought I'd sorted that but it'll have to be attended to.

Tomorrow.

• Like 16
  • Sad 3

I can't help laughing in the nicest possible way at how huge that now looks on your workbench Ced. Under black it seems to have grown even more!

Sweet work on the Oramask but glad to be just watching....

Bravo that man!

• Thanks 1

Brilliant job on the masking, Ced :clap:

As for the seam, metallic colors have this hideous tendency to highlight any microscopic imperfections ... :wall:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

I find that any paint highlights mine...

😠

No worries Ced you will fix it.,looks likevall of the front fuselage is fighting back old chum

Out with the filler and production paper, soon sort it

Bad luck but I'm glad you enjoyed Brunty, I ought to make the trip again one day soon

Sod about the weather though, it harmed my club's 60 years of the Spridget celebrations too!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's some quality vinyl mask making Ced.

Phooey to the seams.

Thanks Cookie :) 

21 hours ago, GordonD said:

The ultimate Mistel combination!

Thanks Gordon 😆

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I can't help laughing in the nicest possible way at how huge that now looks on your workbench Ced. Under black it seems to have grown even more!

Sweet work on the Oramask but glad to be just watching....

Bravo that man!

Thanks Tony - Oramask rules! :) 

18 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Just had to look up Mistel.

🤣

Thanks Dave - once seen, never forgotten! :) 

15 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

The model is coming along nicely, and it´s coming along quite fast too!

Thanks Sturmovik :) 

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Brilliant job on the masking, Ced :clap:

As for the seam, metallic colors have this hideous tendency to highlight any microscopic imperfections ... :wall:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - and persistent! (See below) :) 

8 hours ago, perdu said:

I find that any paint highlights mine...

😠

No worries Ced you will fix it.,looks likevall of the front fuselage is fighting back old chum

Out with the filler and production paper, soon sort it

Bad luck but I'm glad you enjoyed Brunty, I ought to make the trip again one day soon

Sod about the weather though, it harmed my club's 60 years of the Spridget celebrations too!

Thanks Bill :) Sorry to hear the rain got to you too.

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Been away from this thread for a day. Forgotten how ridiculously large it is!

Rather unsporting of the painting instructions not to say "Silver" all over. What is the world coming to?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - I know! Fancy using Magnesium just 'cos it's lighter... whatever next :) 

Mr Surfacer 1000, sand, polish, re-paint:

44292249202_630af40033_n.jpg 42532951200_bec1fe0e73_n.jpg

Still there in some lights. Rats. It'll get a Micro-meshing and another coat when I do the magnesium on the wings.

Other 'Magnesium' bits done:

30473950588_fb3bb5e4a1_z.jpg

42538688520_d26dccaac5_z.jpg

Masking and then aluminium next. I hope I've got enough tape! (Joke - I have LOADS!)

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Amazing how much paint is going to be used.

"Mindestesns einen Eimer Primer" as I said before. A bucket of paint then for sure, if  everything works good at the first time. Just said that. :whistle::whistle:

• Like 1