Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

Thanks Giorgio and welcome home :) As you say a bit late for this one but I've bookmarked the post and I'll try it next time.

Thanks bzn - oooh, didn't notice that! :) 

Almost ready for close up:

43373018104_95c087f77a_z.jpg

I need to give the spar another coat (missed it first time around when I was airbrushing).

Oooh look, there's a 'tunnel':

44043090102_40d2a41925_z.jpg

Missed that too. Must pay more attention.

We're off to a barbecue this afternoon and I don't want to rush the close up so I'll leave it until the morning.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

more spacious in the film

Needs to be , make up, readers, head boy, lighting , sound, assistant director , director , costume, 1st grip,2nd grip , clapper board person and continuity plus the crew . A Shorts Belfast would struggle ,probably the biggest Cockpit or was Spruce Goose ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is such a humungous blighter Ced that it's a bit overwhelming to think of something non-absurd to say about your work here that isn't phrases like  'Nice 80 bombs!' or 'That 2 foot length of plastic's looking really great now'...

You are of course producing it with a degree of moxie bordering upon outright pizzazz.

Hope you didn't overdo the Pomagne at the BBQ...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Needs to be , make up, readers, head boy, lighting , sound, assistant director , director , costume, 1st grip,2nd grip , clapper board person and continuity plus the crew . A Shorts Belfast would struggle ,probably the biggest Cockpit or was Spruce Goose ?

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good thinking!

K

:rofl:

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This is such a humungous blighter Ced that it's a bit overwhelming to think of something non-absurd to say about your work here that isn't phrases like  'Nice 80 bombs!' or 'That 2 foot length of plastic's looking really great now'...

You are of course producing it with a degree of moxie bordering upon outright pizzazz.

Hope you didn't overdo the Pomagne at the BBQ...

Thanks Tony :) Pimms old boy, had to be done. Bit weird sitting on a beach in central Bath...

_O7A4748.jpg

but OK when they turned on the space heater for the ladies. BBQ burger was yum too.

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hey, guys!

Wanna see some neat B-36 exterior and interior virtual walkarounds? B-36J on display at the AF Museum. Check these out!

Mike

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197636/convair-b-36j-peacemaker/

Thanks Mike :) 

12 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Aha! A solution! :D 

Time to think about closing up:

30239668088_4030f7e07d_z.jpg

The bomb racks were glued in:

43389139114_78ca554fc2_z.jpg

… made simpler when I realised that the locating ledges were exactly the same length:

43200871775_8a6b1843f6_z.jpg

… which gave confidence for the lining up.

Starting a dry fit at the back, the turret wouldn't go in. You can see the lower locating hole in this shot and, just behind it, the flash that stopped the turret going in:

30239716558_9b20bcf290_z.jpg

Once everything seemed to be locating it was time to close up. You know the saying "You can never have too many clamps"? I have lots, but only four that are big enough:

44059372922_974a486ecf_z.jpg

The main focus was avoiding any steps, especially on the radome at the bottom. 

The tape helped hold things together but didn't hold things flat, sadly, hence the clamps.

I'm also a bit worried that the TET isn't melting through that shiny top coat on the plastic.

We shall see...

• Like 17

That had me thinking Ced. If they built a ring road around Bath, would it be called the scum line?

Ring around..... oh never mind..🧥

Ian

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, CedB said:

We shall see

I wondered what that big obtuse angled channel was for earlier a few pages back .Wing carry through . It really is a piece of work this thing. Bet the price of plastic went up on the Commodities exchange when they started making these kits .

• Haha 1

Looking rather good Ced. With a view to the weight of the finished model, have you checked the strength of your ceiling? If the worst comes to the worst, following my falling through the ceiling escapade a short while ago, I can recommend a good plasterer for you.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

Thanks Ian :rofl:

Thanks Bzn :) Yep, wing support. The wings slide on at the end of the build. I'll see what the fit is like then.

Thanks Martian :D Strong things these old houses (he said with fingers crossed...)

While the front of the fuselage was drying I masked up the props, sprayed some Vallejo NATO black and then scrubbed on some AK Dark Aluminium.

30242058988_0d41e75265_z.jpg

After a while I buffed the AK gently with a cotton bud - buffed left, not buffed right:

43391596384_999c6a31dd_z.jpg

I like the varied finish this stuff gives when applied thinly - saves weathering!

Clamps and tape removed from the fuselage front (I might need them):

30242316448_96f9375cf5_z.jpg

Not too bad and easy to manage (I hope).

Fuselage join up part 2:

30242308698_245cd155bc_z.jpg

The good news is there's room for the last crew member in the nose:

30242362918_48c1641d04_z.jpg

No man left behind.

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sofusthecat said:

Does this kit any nose weight?

Probably a bag of cement

• Haha 8

Thanks bzn and John - no nose weight required for the ceiling thanks! :) 

Toby the instructions say to add 60g to the radome - plenty of room in there! :) 

Made a start on the seams. The nose turret is horrid - it should have a small gap down the sides:

large-ihhmage.jpg?w=950&h=1222

but not this big:

43394474054_d1f97a8730_z.jpg

so it's had some filler:

43206725995_554f3ff1b4_z.jpg

To be attended to later.

I'm glad I checked the references before dealing with this:

30245436048_fa93685286_z.jpg

Turret hatch - seam! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It's the upper turret hatch - there are two, so they can be left or just tidied.

I've attended to the top seam now (where required) and need a lie down:

29175860447_161e797388_z.jpg

• Like 22

43 minutes ago, CedB said:

need a lie down

You've earned it. .

Right, that's enough zeds , wakey ,wakey !  I want to know....

What is that star shaped tool on the plans next to the tweezers , some sort of gauge ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

You've earned it. .

Right, that's enough zeds , wakey ,wakey !  I want to know....

What is that star shaped tool on the plans next to the tweezers , some sort of gauge ?

As Ced appears to still be in the land of nod, it's a seam scraper.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

sheesh Ced, give a bloke a chance.  I only found this the other day... just caught up and you're just about finished.

Really nice work and I particularly enjoyed the frolics and camaraderie in the flight deck

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

it's a seam scraper

For the man that has everything else and 4 tons of plastic to scrape

• Haha 2