Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

18 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Red, white and blue perhaps.....?

https://warbirddecals-com.myshopify.com/products/b-36-peacemaker-eb-36h-kirkland-afb-castle-afb-wright-patterson-museum-decals-1-72-033

Saves you having to do all that NMF 🤭

Trevor

I'd forgotten about that scheme, looks like it just needs the word 'Pepsi written down the fuselage. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Longer than a b52, now that is big and judging by its proportions must have a wingspan even larger than then 52, good luck finding room for it when done 

Thanks Stu :) I'm hoping it will either go here, with my other small USAF collection:

43354512174_0beebcd186_z.jpg

… or here with the 'Specials':

43354512124_de5d14480f_z.jpg

It's about time I sorted out the 'toys' on the top of the cabinet. That RC Helicopter flew crashed twice before I gave up. The rest is, er, the result of people wondering what the heck they could buy me for presents when alcohol was no longer de rigeur.

4 hours ago, Greg B said:

Gents, do you really need reminding or warning about quoting posts with photographs repeatedly needlessly?  Three repeats of a set of painted crew figures is unnecessary, a waste of time to scroll past and poor forum etiquette.....

Sorry Greg.

To be fair the guys may have posted close together, before they saw the other posts.

Does it have a detrimental technical effect on the forum? I guess the system just keeps a link/URL?

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

For those who haven't seen it yet:

https://youtu.be/9FJVxtTNjJk

Thanks Jamie :) 

2 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice large plane, you've started Ced! Nice work so far! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) 

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Thanks very much Jamie , haven't seen the film for years . Must be one of the best films of it's type ever made.  How slow was the u/c retraction ? stroll on , our Hydraulic Rigs were quicker getting 3 greens than that .

Great watch - I enjoyed it! :) 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I think it's chromate green, not interior green, FS595a  for interior green  was 34151 and zinc chromate green could be all over the place, as it was mixed by each paint manufacturer a little differently, from what I have read. Zinc chromate is a yellow color and was applied as a primer/first coat. The paint was then tinted with black to get the greenish color that was applied as a second coat- this was required, I believe to confirm 2 coats of primer were applied. IIRC Modelmaster used to have zinc chromate green as well as interior green in their old enamel line of paints. I think @Dana Bell would be the go-to guy on this subject, but I bet he's tired of answering this question over and over! (OK Dana- time to grace us with a comprehensive guide to US aircraft interior colors!)

Mike

Thanks Mike :) Looking at the walkarounds there certainly are a variety of greens - luckily it'll get closed up soon!

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Chromate ? Run away ! Really evil stuff . It can come back at you years later and no escape . Hopefully the model paint just looks like it .

Thanks bzn :) 

58 minutes ago, HP42 said:

I'd forgotten about that scheme, looks like it just needs the word 'Pepsi written down the fuselage. 😉

Thanks Phil :) 

More interior stuff:

44024568292_4e85046a43_z.jpg

29135851707_140a4ffa4d_z.jpg

Glueing soon!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I think it's chromate green, not interior green, FS595a  for interior green  was 34151 and zinc chromate green could be all over the place, as it was mixed by each paint manufacturer a little differently, from what I have read. Zinc chromate is a yellow color and was applied as a primer/first coat. The paint was then tinted with black to get the greenish color that was applied as a second coat- this was required, I believe to confirm 2 coats of primer were applied. IIRC Modelmaster used to have zinc chromate green as well as interior green in their old enamel line of paints. I think @Dana Bell would be the go-to guy on this subject, but I bet he's tired of answering this question over and over! (OK Dana- time to grace us with a comprehensive guide to US aircraft interior colors!)

Mike

Hi Mike,

Since you asked...

As you noted, the zinc chromate greens varied widely.  To start with, the basic zinc chromate primer, while a cool yellow, also varied dramatically.  It wasn't mixed from zinc chromate pigment, but from combinations of zinc oxide and chrome oxide.  Since the zinc oxide cost less than chrome oxide, paint manufacturers would tend to skimp on the chromium-based pigment, resulting in variations in the primer's final color.  There was no standard color for zinc chromate primer, but paint companies were expected to include at least minimum amounts of the two pigments.

Most of the variation in the green zinc chromate mixtures came before the B-36 entered production.  (See, I cheated and didn't fill up the page with all THAT crazy stuff!)  By that time the standard was Interior Green ANA 611, a mix of zinc chromate primer and black pigment.  For the first time, a color chip was issued, though there were still some variations in the final color.  First, the original primer color still varried with the ratios of the two pigments.  And second, the black pigment was to be added as the Interior Green was about to be applied.  Earlier experiments showed that black settled out in the can if the Interior Green was stored for any length of time.  Those last-minute mixtures came when speed was a bigger issue than color accuracy!  

So for your B-36 models, if the paint bottle says "zinc chromate green" you could have any of the many early mixtures of that primer, up to and including 1943's Interior Green.  If the bottle says "Interior Green," you're probably looking at the color that should have appeared on the original aircraft.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

34 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

There you go Ced, words from a bona fide expert. Looks like it's a ' prove me wrong ' case, so fill yer boots.

John

So flock wallpaper and shag pile carpets are in then?

Simon.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi Mike,

Since you asked...

[clip]... By that time the standard was Interior Green ANA 611, a mix of zinc chromate primer and black pigment.  For the first time, a color chip was issued, though there were still some variations in the final color. 

[clip]

So for your B-36 models, if the paint bottle says "zinc chromate green" you could have any of the many early mixtures of that primer, up to and including 1943's Interior Green.  If the bottle says "Interior Green," you're probably looking at the color that should have appeared on the original aircraft.

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks Dana - great to have an expert opinion, thanks for the info :)

Of course, I knew that :whistle:

I'm using the iModelKit app on my iPhone and it shows that Vallejo 71.010 is pretty close to the reference:

42267310280_dd956b7bbd_z.jpg  29139217907_af2c473329_z.jpg

Using 'Interior Green ANA 611' as the reference and choosing a new paint from my inventory you can see (from the 'Mix' line) that it's not quite red or green enough and a bit too blue, but close enough for my eye.

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

There you go Ced, words from a bona fide expert. Looks like it's a ' prove me wrong ' case, so fill yer boots.

John

Thanks John, boots suitably filled! :D 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

So flock wallpaper and shag pile carpets are in then?

Simon.

Not on this version Simon, I think that was installed in the 60's :D 

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Just found your thread Ced. 

What a beast!

Will be following with interest.

James

Welcome James :) 

As promised, some glueing. Pilot seats in, I'll fit the figures later. Now the engineer's panel:

43167304085_cdaf38bbe9_z.jpg

Oh, here we go... it doesn't fit. Look where the panel curves to the side of the cockpit; there's a step in the panel but not in the cockpit side: 

29136509787_66a8df5f87_z.jpg

Oh joy. OK, let's rip the seats out:

42267037030_51574b9bd9_z.jpg

So, those are runners for the seat eh, NOT locating marks. Rats.

Furthermore if you fit the Engineer's seat it pushes against the pilot's:

29138952537_c119a4cc4c_z.jpg

SO you do have to glue the pilot to his seat and then push him right in so he's holding the control column:

43169558275_e9cf38cfdf_z.jpg

Probably just as well. Better dry fit everything just to make sure:

43169624195_7ecd438b51_z.jpg

'ish. The pilots have been glued and I'll let that dry before attacking the panel and cockpit side.

Grump.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

color

Very interesting Dana … I used to get confused on real aircraft . We would be painting new structure post repair in a servicing centre. On production painting cut to fit edges /drilled holes on already primed structure . Different places I've worked at ( must be the level of Chromate or black added you mentioned )  could have a Browny Yellow looking primer and lurching to ripe Banana to unripe greeny Banana yellow and anything in between . From memory a 2 part mix for brush painting , There is also Etch Primer , 1st coat after Alachrome 1200 treatment , that was browny yellow and translucent but that would be under the yellow primer and unseen . Boeings , Westlands and Lockheed's primer was different again , shades of Green . Paint is another world of wonder and some this stuff to be feared .

My Dad was a Flt Eng on Lincolns and got a short notice detachment to Aden , 1953 ish . His new tool box was a Dark Blue or Green and so he could see it day or night , wanted it brighter .. All he could cadge from the RAF Stores a was a can of Yellow paint... two coats of the stuff and he was happy . Next day he was throwing up feeling weak and reported for Sick Parade. The Medical Officer asked him if he'd been anywhere near Yellow paint . Yes I have. Look in the mirror ,he was a Yellow tinge . Jaundice .. from the paint ! Think it's the Liver that cops it. The paint was Yellow Chromate . He spent a week in Hospital , no Sortes and back to Blighty . He was back there 3 months later with a nice yellow thing to hold his Mark 1 Hammer, torch and GS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Not on this version Simon, I think that was installed in the 60's :D 

So that means no avocado green bathroom suite then?

Good to see that Revell are still able to give the best mis-destructions concerning the placement of parts.

Looking busy up front .

Simon.

• Haha 1

Thanks bzn - interesting stuff! I bet it's been banned nowadays, along with lead paint :) 

Thanks Simon - it gets worse! See below...

Thanks Stephen - the Lizzie's on hold waiting for bits and will be restarted, hopefully soon. I retired last year and modelling seems to be my new career! :) 

As mentioned above, this needs to go:

43361620584_59660c68b0_z.jpg

… and I trimmed a bit off the back of the bench so it fitted closer to the 'wall'. 

Ta dah:

43173711385_e026a8d252_z.jpg

Just need to dry fit the other Engineer. We know they're twins, but this is just too close for comfort:

44080182941_4d576ce735_z.jpg

(Has that rotated properly?)

"Move over brother, the seat won't settle with you there"

"It's OK bruv, I've got it, my arm needs to go here anyway so I can play with the throttles"

"Well, if you think you can handle it. I'll just check the radio thingies"

43361780254_488c96a12d_z.jpg

"Nope, no good. Who designed these small seats? Maybe I can look out the front?"

44031808492_b6fbaff4d3_z.jpg

"Rats. I don't think the windows open. It's OK guys, you go ahead without me".

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

Ah ah !! Ced is back at 1/72 ???

But with a so huge one for sure !! I will follow you if you Don't mind it, since I have that same kit in my stash !!

I missed the start and I will catch up later !!

May I take a seat in the nasty corner ? Near the bar ?

Good job my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Ced,

it doesn’t have a detrimental effect on the forum, the pics are just re-linked. What it means is those with smaller screens have to scroll past the same picture repeatedly, normally with a 1 line comment at the end of it that could have been done minus picture. When members quote posts with multi pictures and a “looks good” at the end, then it really is lazy/impolite ;) 

nice build by by the way so far. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

44080182941_4d576ce735_z.jpg

It looks like one of those chaps has settled upon a highly unconventional method for soothing the other's jangled nerves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 18
  • Sad 1

Ced, looking at the flight deck shots in the SAC film, there seems to be only one engineer - the seat behind the co-pilot looks like  a jump seat - Jimmy Stewart is sat there observing in the clip Jamie linked above, so you could just leave that empty, as it likely usually was. It also looks like Monogram shrank the size of the cockpit as it looks a tad more spacious in the film!

Keith

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Ah ah !! Ced is back at 1/72 ???

But with a so huge one for sure !! I will follow you if you Don't mind it, since I have that same kit in my stash !!

I missed the start and I will catch up later !!

May I take a seat in the nasty corner ? Near the bar ?

Good job my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

Welcome CC! Plenty of room (but mind the B-36 wings - they'll take your eye out :D 

9 hours ago, Greg B said:

Ced,

it doesn’t have a detrimental effect on the forum, the pics are just re-linked. What it means is those with smaller screens have to scroll past the same picture repeatedly, normally with a 1 line comment at the end of it that could have been done minus picture. When members quote posts with multi pictures and a “looks good” at the end, then it really is lazy/impolite ;) 

nice build by by the way so far. :)

Thanks Greg :) Ah, mobile users, didn't think about them. Good point, well made.

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

It looks like one of those chaps has settled upon a highly unconventional method for soothing the other's jangled nerves.

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm ashamed to admit it took me about 2 nano seconds to see what you were on about. :D

Steve.

I can't imagine what your mean... fnaar fnaar, snurf snurf :D 

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It must have been ' real cosy ' on the flight deck of a '36, ripe too I imagine after long missions.

John

Thanks John - really long missions too... where's the loo? I'll bet it's down the tube, past the kitchen (both thankfully invisible on the kit) :) 

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

They look like sound engineers at a mixing desk.

AW

Indeed! With six props and four jets the mixing must have been fun! :) 

1 hour ago, StephenCJ said:

and baked beans and onions.

No, don't... :D 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Ced, looking at the flight deck shots in the SAC film, there seems to be only one engineer - the seat behind the co-pilot looks like  a jump seat - Jimmy Stewart is sat there observing in the clip Jamie linked above, so you could just leave that empty, as it likely usually was. It also looks like Monogram shrank the size of the cockpit as it looks a tad more spacious in the film!

Keith

Thanks Keith - good news! :) 

I suspect the producers suffered from the "Who's designed a pilot figure?" "Jim has, but they're 6' 6" blokes" problem.

Seat left empty with the 'right arm out' jigsaw addressed.

Paint session this morning:

42278926300_1f0e8b8583_z.jpg

White Stynylrez blasted on the tips and down some of the blade to get some variation (which I bet the Vallejo will cover). 

Black sights and barrels, grey flash bombs.

The good news is, the internals fit!

44087990671_c7564d486d_z.jpg

"It's OK guys, you go without me. I might be able to sneak in the nose yet..."

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

You`ve made a nice start there Sir! I like many others here have had a soft spot for this Aeroplane for many many years and I don't think the kit manufacturer has got it too wrong on the flight deck, I read somewhere that the flight engineer was pinned to his consol if the copilot was over 5`8``, it was very cramped indeed, like the B29, it looks big on the outside but it`s pretty full of kit inside with the crew almost an afterthought.

Granto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John - testing, testing... :D 

Thanks Granto - good to have the cramped space confirmed. I guess 'the film' was shot in a mock up.

Bit more interesting stuff later this morning, at least for me.

Test fit on the sights:

29150713527_3ee7dd7416_n.jpg 44088327861_f42fd4415e_n.jpg

Inside/outside shot. They don't fit that well but do click in, sometimes, after the TET has been applied. But do the glass domes fit? Better get them off the sprue. Oh no, more long connectors. Better get out the nano-saws:

29150725027_82ce9ec7a2_n.jpg 29150739457_c790e7320d_n.jpg

Came off quite nicely and then seem to fit well over the sight:

30220361678_f6863259ab_z.jpg

The internals still fit with the gun fitted:

29150980847_ae6502af24_z.jpg

Note the diagram in the background that makes sure everything's in the right place.

Bombs and racks next:

43369895684_23cab86c8c_z.jpg

Oh dear, the flash on the frames really shows up eh? Better get the Molding Flash Sanders out in the Dremel.

43369973834_6083ed81b7_z.jpg

They're a great tool I think, Running at about speed 2 in the Dremel you can see the flash 'peeling off'. Still takes an age though, but not as long as painting the rack between the bombs:

30221033458_2750507034_z.jpg

Ready for glueing and closing up any time now!

• Like 16

On 16/08/2018 at 10:02, CedB said:

91.143.194.179"? Looks like an IP address... hope you've not been hacked!

:rofl:All my fault, I was doing two things at the same time...

On 16/08/2018 at 10:02, CedB said:

I've not tried the dry brush / wash method... do you have any details please and I'll give it a go.

I'm probably late for this, seeing the stage you are with interiors and figures, but I have been travelling for the last 24 hours :shrug:

Anyway, the quickest and easiest thing is the wash: in this case, I would use a dark brown for the skin tone and a dark grey for the suite. Prepare the wash like you would do for a panel line wash - I use tempera but acrylics or oils are good too; load a  brush and give some strokes across the edges, so that the wash flows into all the nooks and crannies. Let it dry and, if needed, repeat till you're happy. If you use tempera, you can remove any unwanted excess with a moist (water) q-tip.

Try this first, then if you want to push a bit more, I'll explain the drybrushing

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CedB said:

"Move over brother, the seat won't settle with you there"

He won't be there long , the actor on the SAC film will be posted to 4077th M*A*S*H as the new C.O.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6