Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

My first thought was .... I built that same kit years ago (when it was first released by Monogram) - and converted it into a GRB-36D 'FICON'

My second thought was - "That was quite a while ago" - then I checked my web page - and saw that I had written an article about the conversion for Scale Models magazine - which was published in SEPTEMBER 1981.

That's THIRTY SEVEN years ago !!!!

Looks like the moulds have stood the test of time very well - good luck with your build Ced :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Page 2 already and 24 posts to reply to - crikey... Welcome all to the madness! :) 

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

Holy craaaaaaaaaaaaap!

My thoughts exactly (and Giorgio's!) :D Thanks PC.

Thanks KeIT, Roger, AW, dnl42, Bigdave, Ian, Stew, rio, John, Dennis, Neil, Adrian, Grey, Trevor, Keith, Steve and Andre :) 

The plan is to hang her, wheels up, from the ceiling. I'll need to test the thread but there's room... somewhere!

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I'll be following because I've had a thing about the B-36 ever since seeing Strategic Air Command as a nipper.

Thanks Simon :) I must try to find that film somewhere online and have a watch.

2 hours ago, Darby said:

That is a mighty undertaking however, just one question; have you cut your toenails yet? 

:rofl2: Darbs you crack me up! The answer is... maybe.

For those that missed it, Darbs is referring to a photo I took 'a la Spadgent' (using your foot as a scale reference) in the 'What have you purchased' thread here.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

A sensible and sober choice of aircraft for the mature gentleman modeller. It will keep him out of the gentleman's clubs and bordellos of London whilst ensuring the survival of the metal paste industry.

Stirrup cups of luck to you on this gallant friend.

Thanks Tony :) Metal paste... yes. I'm looking at the metal of the finishes to see what I have for shiny and dull Aluminium and magnesium... and are the spinners really chrome?

I shall research and report later (but I do have some Alclad chrome and aluminium that's been little used to date)

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to find that gambling is going on here...

I dunno, I go off for a day bimbling about through the leafy lanes of Olde England in my little car (Have you seen how much 'thatch' there is down there?) to find that the heat has got to my mate Ced...

Thanks Bill :) Back at 'the one true scale'! Plenty of room for the Nimrod, don't worry!

13 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

My first thought was .... I built that same kit years ago (when it was first released by Monogram) - and converted it into a GRB-36D 'FICON'

My second thought was - "That was quite a while ago" - then I checked my web page - and saw that I had written an article about the conversion for Scale Models magazine - which was published in SEPTEMBER 1981.

That's THIRTY SEVEN years ago !!!!

Looks like the moulds have stood the test of time very well - good luck with your build Ced :thumbsup:

Ken

Thanks Ken :) I've just had a look at the link and that's an amazing model... way beyond me at the moment but a great piece of work. I can't believe you actually got it working! Wonderful stuff.

I've been gathering bits ready for some initial painting and to get myself better organised. 

The plastic is that weird stuff with the shiny 'skin' that doesn't seem to like sanding that much - care will be required.

I've sawn off the wings from their 'Oh no, long attachments':

43996756842_f5f7a8fd5b_n.jpg 44045079991_414b3043d5_n.jpg

… and now have a (reasonably) manageable box of bits. Interesting to note the parts have their number on the back - handy.

Also very nice to see a 'wheels up' option:

29108452947_fc9f92ab2a_z.jpg

Bliss.

I think I've got the parts together for Interior Green:

43327166634_c46a16b6c8_n.jpg 44045620401_4cc883f283_n.jpg

Some sort of shiny black (to be checked) - oooh look, I glued something:

43139492875_5d33938237_n.jpg 42236573650_f99e3570eb_n.jpg

… and the props are ready:

29108883847_fab80f7f0b_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I have the 'Interior Green' that Vallejo included in their BoB set, incorrectly. It's their 71.010 and I bought another bottle before I realised that it's not IG. Should be enough.

I may even stick things in before I spray that... maybe.

• Like 14

Oh retirement must be hard, Ced .A relaxing walk in the forest could have done also to keep you busy and satisfied. Monograms biggest in 1:72 at 1980,  I guess. Saw this on the shelves of my local hobbyshop and thought: "What the hell. How you should put this together with eleven?" Well I will see now, how that works.

Good luck and one link that may help you:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/168844.aspx

Cheers  Benedikt.

• Thanks 1

I think I need to replace the Gazebo with a Maquee for this many people...  Need to install the bar along the long side so it can serve more at a time...

At least you can hang the model up from the ridge pole afterwards...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Oh retirement must be hard, Ced .A relaxing walk in the forest could have done also to keep you busy and satisfied. Monograms biggest in 1:72 at 1980,  I guess. Saw this on the shelves of my local hobbyshop and thought: "What the hell. How you should put this together with eleven?" Well I will see now, how that works.

Good luck and one link that may help you:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/168844.aspx

Cheers  Benedikt.

Thanks Ben :) I've found that model's all over the 'net - made me think about the access 'tube' too :hmmm: 

1 hour ago, Quietstorm7 said:

Oh I'll look forward to watching this one develop 😎👍, buy paint ....lots of it...lol😂

I'll be at the bar with a bottle if Laphroaig if anyone cares to join me...

Alan

Thanks Alan :D 

Keith, Grey and Bill - settle down chaps, plenty of room on the upper circle :) 

19 minutes ago, Redshift said:

Coo, its a big old beast. I've got some snaps of the one in the Pima Air & Space museum if you're interested. It makes a B52 and a Super Guppy look small!

Thanks Nick :) I've lots of photos (147) from Phil thanks... unless you have any of the interior? 

I'm dithering... Revell would have you paint everything Anthracite but I think I may do the 'sides' interior green (as Jeff Head did in his build) just to break things up a bit.

I've found some nice 360 walkarounds too here - nice site from the National Museum of the USAF.

Progress.

Bomb rack frame needed to be removed with the saw (again). 

Painted some things interior green:

43141319645_5d5bcf80fe_n.jpg

That'll teach me not to pay attention. I've been mounting things on sticks with Tak and had to make up a few more - big bird!

Bits done:

44047375371_cbce894555_z.jpg

30179367608_cb813899d2_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Remembered the inside of the bomb bay doors - miracle!

I've also given my H&S Ultra a deep clean and was amazed at the dark grey gunk that came out from the back of the chamber. So that's what was making the needle stiff! Now nice and smooth, worth the effort.

Ashamed at my slovenly behaviour I also replaced the paper base in the spray booth.

Feeling much cleaner now :) 

Lunchtime!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, CedB said:

and are the spinners really chrome

I honestly don't know Ced but after a quick look found the Pilot's manual available on Google books that may help with other matters:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=eflKhY26inwC&pg=PA327&lpg=PA327&dq=b-36+manual&source=bl&ots=dsjZGkVuqs&sig=8AN-fDPfme2QXlUNl0tzdlgT96E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjb7dfZje_cAhVLKsAKHaGDBsA4ChDoATAGegQIABAB#v=onepage&q=b-36 manual&f=false

(Scroll up to the top and a lot of it seems to be accessible online)

HTH

• Thanks 1

OMG, 2 pages already, should have reserved a seat! 😁 Been looking forward to this. 

I saw one of these built up the other day in a cabinet at the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Museum. My son and I looked at it and we both agreed my kit needed donating, no space! 😁

Did you make sense of the pictures on the stick? The example in the museum in Ohio is in a rather dark and cramped hangar. The bomb bay is a model in itself. I assume you'll build it wheels up in flight with the bombdoors open?

As the adverts are still on I think I'll nip out and refill the popcorn and diet coke. Save my seat ay?  😎😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in for this one, Ced, while you're building this massive kit, I think you should have this movie playing on the BIG screen in your hobby room.....

https://www.airplanesofthepast.com/strategic-air-command-movie.htm 

An EXCELLENT movie with an equally EXCELLENT actor, and some really great B 36 action..... I particularly like the scene where he is taking off and they get real close to the main gear going up, I have watched this move many, many times, and I NEVER get tired of it.....  I'm pulling up a front row seat.......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Jeezus, that is big.

Going to need re-reinforcements to the ceiling to hang this one Ced.

You will probably need to go to B&Q for the paint though.

I am in.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :D 

Mrs B commented on the 'fumes' from the man cave this afternoon so I finally got around to fitting the hose you kindly sent me ages ago:

43331919114_01dbb52df2_z.jpg

Anything for a quiet life. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

My mate built one of these not long after its original release. He mounted his vertically on the wall of his study - like the way you mount a plate. It's still there and still looks enormous.

Interesting Eric... vertically on the wall eh? I should have room on the ceiling though, fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Darby said:

Quick work. Thumbnail could do with some attention though.

Thanks Darbs :D I'm beginning to think you have shares in a nail bar somewhere...

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I honestly don't know Ced but after a quick look found the Pilot's manual available on Google books that may help with other matters:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=eflKhY26inwC&pg=PA327&lpg=PA327&dq=b-36+manual&source=bl&ots=dsjZGkVuqs&sig=8AN-fDPfme2QXlUNl0tzdlgT96E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjb7dfZje_cAhVLKsAKHaGDBsA4ChDoATAGegQIABAB#v=onepage&q=b-36 manual&f=false

(Scroll up to the top and a lot of it seems to be accessible online)

HTH

Thanks Tony - great reference! :)

1 hour ago, HP42 said:

OMG, 2 pages already, should have reserved a seat! 😁 Been looking forward to this. 

I saw one of these built up the other day in a cabinet at the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Museum. My son and I looked at it and we both agreed my kit needed donating, no space! 😁

Did you make sense of the pictures on the stick? The example in the museum in Ohio is in a rather dark and cramped hangar. The bomb bay is a model in itself. I assume you'll build it wheels up in flight with the bombdoors open?

As the adverts are still on I think I'll nip out and refill the popcorn and diet coke. Save my seat ay?  😎😎

Thanks Phil :D Couldn't have done it without you!

I've flipped through the pictures once and now had a closer look. Is this the model in Cornwall?

43145029905_ced292f12a_c.jpg

If I get close to that I'll be chuffed.

Your photos from the National Museum do show that the spinners aren't chrome, at least on this 'J':

43145042695_904b75665b_z.jpg

One for the rivet counters:

43145035655_bc266d8153_z.jpg

Should keep 'em busy for a while! 

I won't be heavily detailing the bay (or doing the rivets!) but I may be tempted to add some detail - she will be wheels up, bomb bay doors open.

10 minutes ago, Biggu said:

I'm in for this one, Ced, while you're building this massive kit, I think you should have this movie playing on the BIG screen in your hobby room.....

https://www.airplanesofthepast.com/strategic-air-command-movie.htm 

An EXCELLENT movie with an equally EXCELLENT actor, and some really great B 36 action..... I particularly like the scene where he is taking off and they get real close to the main gear going up, I have watched this move many, many times, and I NEVER get tired of it.....  I'm pulling up a front row seat.......

3 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Love this kit, you’ll need to watch Strategic Air Command with James Stewart Ced, there’s some nice shots of the   B-36 interior and exterior. It’s a beast of an aircraft and kit I'll tag along if you don’t mind.  

Thanks Biggu and Stef - just bought the video to watch later (cheaper on iTunes, FREE on Amazon Prime is the US though sadly not here)

I've painted the black bits and also done some dirty work on the cockpit floors:

44050639001_1752c7b4ed_z.jpg

Better get on with these guys or they're going to hold me up:

30182710168_2bbd36c2fb_z.jpg

• Like 12

I'd be very surprised if the spinners were chrome. After all, chrome is just stuck on, and if it's stuck on, it can come off! Highly polished maybe, but not chrome.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No problems with the extractor hose Ced, glad it came in useful.

You may want to make an adapter up to fit the window and save heat.

I did that at the other flat, saves drafts too.

Nice start to the inners Ced.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Blimey , a metre / 40 inches wing span ?  Brize Norton's  Base Hangar might needed  . They flew from there in the 50s .

Where are on earth are you going to put it ?

Well worth watching ,thanks for doing a wip .

• Like 1