Convair B-36 Peacemaker - Revell 1/72

CedB

Well then, where to start...

When I was building my Vulcan recently I stated that I didn't plan to build anything bigger.

Then Phil ( @HP42 ), who has very kindly been passing on his 'stash reduction' kits so I can build them on BM, offered me this kit:

28788473417_26abf4a6d2_z.jpg

How could I refuse? So I met up with Phil and brought the kit home

To mis-quote Jaws, "I'm going to need a bigger bench":

44035003031_a72d5a9d7a_z.jpg

I suppose you want some sprue shots? Hmmm. Let me see where I can find some space...

• Like 29

Welcome Chris :) Here before the sprue shots! Good man...

I will say at this point that this thing is BIG. 

I know there's a 1/48 kit available so I can't say it's the most insane kit I've seen, but it's certainly the maddest thing I've tried to date.

There's a 'how to' video on YouTube I'll review and Phil kindly lent me the 'Magnesium Overcast' book as well as letting me have copies of the photos he took of the real thing.

I also have a couple of other references; Jacobsen's 'Photo Chronicle' and the Squadron/Signal #42 'B-36 in Action'.

I should be able to avoid doing anything for a while... although I'm seeing Phil at the end of the month and would like to have made some decent progress by then.

OK, let's have a look in the box:

43677590131_39ea1eb38d_z.jpg

The fuselage just about fits and the rest are still in the bags. Time to open up.

I don't think I'll be using my photo booth once it's assembled:

29097580557_7b1a89dde8_z.jpg

Impressive transfers:

42225656960_887c79f75f_z.jpg

… and even more impressive instructions on applying them:

43986532872_191db85270_z.jpg

Crikey. I may paint the walkways as they surround the 'different metal' panels (I'll research that, I promise!)

Let's look at the plastic:

42225685660_0fd7c8f420_z.jpg

Two floors in the nose. Two props (wait for it, wait for it). Nice detail on a lot of the parts:

30166613228_4dcbbe4491_z.jpg

One set of wings:

44035085141_94925eb2df_z.jpg

With crew (hooray!):

44035090271_08207322e1_z.jpg

The other wing:

43986413332_876b5f1be3_z.jpg

Count those bombs!

30166646538_779350a52a_z.jpg

No, wait, forget the bombs, count the props! 

Oh, and the jets:

29097713877_ed045d3ac6_z.jpg

Tailplane:

43128958385_fc8de7bf1a_z.jpg

Did you spot the 'Good grief, HOW big' scale reference?

The other and some nicely detailed bulkheads:

43986470612_3685948cc7_z.jpg

… but not as nice as this one:

44035180221_8151c60a39_z.jpg

Clear parts:

44035189871_46ef3f4bd1_z.jpg

Including the frosted canopy roof.

As it won't fit in my usual box location it's taken over the decalling bench:

43316207534_4af44fd9a6_z.jpg

Looks like I'm going to be getting some exercise!

Right, time to read some stuff. Later guys :) 

• Like 31
  • Confused 2

That's impressive Ced Shall look forward to watching you build the scaffolding to be able to put this together! 

Are you going to get the ceiling structurally checked if your going to hang this.

Roger

• Haha 2

That shot of the Spitfire really puts this monster into perspective, it’s enormous.  You’re going to have to lay in extra supplies of glue and paint Ced.

AW

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KelT said:

Wow that's a big model, what on earth do you do with it when it's finished?

I suppose he could use it for taking flying lessons, or for glider trials.

Wow, first page of Ced build, I'll bring the chips (that would be potato crisps in somewhere that isn't here) and sit in the second row.

DennisTheBear

• Thanks 1

I built one of these years ago.  Long in the bin at this stage.  Being huge and NMF Neil above is right, there will be A LOT of sanding and polishing in your future.  Rio is also right it is a big tail sitter too but if I remember correctly there is a vast cavern of space between the flight deck and bomb bay bulkhead.  I bagged up a massive weight (various off cuts of lead, nuts, bolts etc) and dropped them in.  The UC is sturdy enough to take the weight.  

As as far as painting - Halfords spray cans will be you friend.  I know they are quite grainy but they will be you undercoat and then build up other finishes on top...

Good luck with your model, I'll take a seat in the gazebo beside the trestle table and get the BBQ going, it'll be the only space big enough for this model...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A sensible and sober choice of aircraft for the mature gentleman modeller. It will keep him out of the gentleman's clubs and bordellos of London whilst ensuring the survival of the metal paste industry.

Stirrup cups of luck to you on this gallant friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Strewth, look at this rabble here already - Ced, can you set up the CCTV so us stragglers can watch from the bar rather than the garden that John mentioned - looks a bit gloomy out there today? (although that thing's so big I can probably watch from Swansea anyway....!!)

Love that shot with the Spit!

And don't forget you'll probably need building regs approval for those structural changes the guys have mentioned!

Keith

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Strewth, look at this rabble here already

My thoughts  exackery, I though for one daft moment I had a chance for a front row seat, yeah right, it;ll be right at the back of the stalls again, strangely, I feel comfortable there, it must be the company. :D

friend of mine had one of these once Ced, I was impressed then, I'm prepared to be impressed again. No pressure mind. :P

Steve.

• Like 2

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to find that gambling is going on here...

I dunno, I go off for a day bimbling about through the leafy lanes of Olde England in my little car (Have you seen how much 'thatch' there is down there?) to find that the heat has got to my mate Ced...

Oh well I'll hover over there by the door near the corridor to the bathroom

I foretell days of high beer consumption, access to the 'bolthole' should always be maintained for we elderly  types

Have you seen how big it is?

Remember you have to find space for a Nimrod up there too...

🎯

• Like 2