Matchbox Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver

Just 3 days, very old kit, sprayed the decals with gloss clear to keep them together, couldn't paint the bars over the cockpit windows due to shaky hands!

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo1-th.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 33
  • Sad 1

A lovely looking model and a nice splash of colour for a welcome change from camo or silver. I'm new to all this but I read that yellow was extremely difficult to paint but if that's the case then it certainly doesn't show here.

Great work.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, what a reaction by so many of you! KelT, I confess to cheating a bit, all the wing surfaces came in yellow plastic, so I wash the kit before building and polish the yellow surfaces that are retained so no need to paint!

• Like 2

Cheers invidia. Yes in this case old is good with Matchbox.

13 hours ago, PatW said:

yellow surfaces that are retained so no need to paint!

Now that takes me back a bit, this was my modus operandi as a youngster, why paint when the plastic is the right colour? (I had a parsimonious streak even then when it came to stretching my hobby allowance.  :D ) I must say though, your finish is better than mine ever was.  :thumbsup:

Steve.

Very nice.

I wasn't expecting a biplane - which shows how little I know about Helldivers!! 🙄

Like stevehnz I too had a limited budget back in younger days - and even more limited skills; so Matchbox's multi-coloured sprues were a welcome feature for me.

Well done!

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes as a retiree I have to be careful of the budget. We have very few model 'shops' here in the UK, where to purchase kits and supplies. Mostly internet shops who obviously charge for shipping, makes the hobby that more expensive. I shop on ebay but only go for the auction bargains, some of which are still expensive. I don't use Amazon because they are all 'New' kits and if you touch the wrong button on checkout you are charged ;next day delivery which is minimum £7.95 shipping!

So polishing coloured surfaces is less cost but good colour and not having to wait for paint to dry, especially today when it's pouring with rain! Again costly to turn on the heating to dry things quicker. 

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

congrats on a really flashy Helldiver!!! US Navy aircraft look great, any day of the week. Keep them rolling!

Love it!

JR

Thanks guys, I never expected this sort of reaction in building such an old and relatively simple kit!

On 16/08/2018 at 07:33, PatW said:

Thanks guys. Yes as a retiree I have to be careful of the budget. We have very few model 'shops' here in the UK, where to purchase kits and supplies. Mostly internet shops who obviously charge for shipping, makes the hobby that more expensive. I shop on ebay but only go for the auction bargains, some of which are still expensive. I don't use Amazon because they are all 'New' kits and if you touch the wrong button on checkout you are charged ;next day delivery which is minimum £7.95 shipping!

So polishing coloured surfaces is less cost but good colour and not having to wait for paint to dry, especially today when it's pouring with rain! Again costly to turn on the heating to dry things quicker. 

Hi Pat, like you I am retired and would recommend Kingkit online if you haven't already tried them.

Second hand guaranteed kits for often half of retail cost, shipping is very reasonable too.