The Flight of the Phoenix, scratchbuilt, 1/72nd.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, Moa said:

The engine nacelles are excised:

IMG_7795+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Now I remember why my P-1 is in a box somewhere: as I removed the wings from a previously-built C-45 it was very tricky to fill the gaps left by my nowhere-near-as-tidy nacelle removal!

I'm glad to read your progress over the weekend, Moa. It's looking great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Now I remember why my P-1 is in a box somewhere: as I removed the wings from a previously-built C-45 it was very tricky to fill the gaps left by my nowhere-near-as-tidy nacelle removal!

Hi Zac

May be a combination of some styrene and Milliput to fill the gaps, if the gaps are bigger?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Excellent work Moa. Amazed that your 'cone' fitted so well to the cockpit tub.

Carry on good sir.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Provided the diameters of the tub end and the cone base are the same, and that the cone is reasonably straight, there will be no problems.

If there was some miss-alignment, a disk of styerene could be glued on, as an interface to be sanded as required. Small shims and epoxy (and later Milliput in the gap) could also help to correct some angular proclivities.

There is a solution for almost every problem in modeling, the unsolvable one being us.

• Like 2

Nice work on the beams for the undercarriage, not the easiest of things to make, especially in this scale.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Tell me about it.

It pays to have three pairs of eyes, four brains, and four arms!

In other words to be me then!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

The skids are tackled now. They are actually a box made of four sizes, the top is also hollowed. Four oversized planks are glued only at the front and back with a small dot of cement, and the holes' location is marked:

IMG_7922+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Holes drilled, first with a small bit, then to full size:

IMG_7923+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_7924+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The planks are shaped and separated:

IMG_7925+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

I mean it is what you might say “out of left field” a very unusual subject.  No offence intended.

AW 

I know, I was just curious about why this would be strange. Yes, it's a sort of an oddball, but well known and with an appearance, that if ungainly, is not unusual since it pretty much follows the basic, simple, archetypical shape of a plane.

Odd indeed is what I will start to post (hopefully soon) as RFIs (if of models built a few years ago).

Stay tuned 🙂

• Like 3

On 8/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, Moa said:

Hi Adrian

I suggest you read the post from the beginning.

You are not the first one to get confused about the planes used in the movie (I have explained this quite a number of times by now...)

There was one "crashed" plane (the Packet, actually three of them apparently for different sequences), then the STATIC prop "made from the packet" ( a non-flying prop, made from parts of the Packet), then a flying prop, the Timm-Tallmantz Phoenix P-1 made with parts from an AT-6 Texan and a C-45 Expeditor -plus designer-made parts-, then, when it crashed, a North American O-47 was modified to (barely) resemble the other movie props.

Sorry, I was rather hoping you were going to make a diorama with the C-82 Packet sat in the desert,  morphing into the Phoenix P-1. That would tell the whole story? 

Edited by AMB

3 hours ago, AMB said:

Sorry, I was rather hoping you were going to make a diorama with the C-82 Packet sat in the desert,  morphing into the Phoenix P-1. That would tell the whole story? 

But that's the whole point, that the Packet does not morph into the Timm-Tallmantz P-1 -that was made from parts of other planes as a flying prop for the movie- but into the movie static prop, which is not the model I am making. They were two different planes that had only a passing resemblance.

• Like 2

Some great scratch building there, loving watching it progress. Well done.

For your next mission, "if you choose to except it" I would love to see you do a Fairchild XC-120 Pack Plane, (very slightly related to this project) Never seen one done before.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, andyl1962 said:

Some great scratch building there, loving watching it progress. Well done.

For your next mission, "if you choose to except it" I would love to see you do a Fairchild XC-120 Pack Plane, (very slightly related to this project) Never seen one done before.

Hi Andy

You are very kind.

Regarding your comment:

1) There is already a resin kit of this plane in the market

2) I don't do military

But I do like odd looking planes 😉