ALCLAD II BLACK PRIMER & MICROFILLER ALC 309

Starspell

Hi All,

Going to be starting a P-51D Mustang soon with NMF. want to challenge myself with something new and never tried NMF before.

Looking at using Alclad for the NMF but never used it before. A quick look at the Alclad website shows they recommend using Alclad II Black primer & microfiller (ALC309) but have seen that many use a black gloss as a base.

Do I need to use the ALclad primer or can I just go for a black gloss?

What way do most of you more seasoned modelers use? 

Depends on how glossy you want your finish.  If you don't need chrome or any other highly polished metal, a black or even grey primer is ok.  If you're going for high gloss finishes, their gloss black primer works, but so do other gloss blacks.  I'm not a great fan of Vallejo primers, as they don't usually react well to sanding, and whenever I prime a model, I usually either find a blemish I want to sand back, or I buff the primer to get it smoother.  If you want an acrylic primer, Ultimate's primers are the ones I've used that are sandable.

Short version.  Gloss primer for highest sheen, matt for normal sheen.  Black preferable, but grey works.  I usually use their own primers under their metallics.  I just do - no real reason for it other than they're 100% compatible :shrug:

11 minutes ago, Starspell said:

Do I need to use the ALclad primer or can I just go for a black gloss?

What way do most of you more seasoned modelers use?

It all depends on how much seam checking and actual priming you need to do. 

If the kit has already had that done say with a grey primer then you can do an overall gloss black and go from there. 

If not you can kill two birds with one stone by using their black filler primer to sort seams then give it a polish with micromesh to smooth it out. You primer has now become a shiny black and then put your metallic on from there.