BA (Comair) DelftBlue Daybreak Boeing 727-230

I had intended to build this one in the Airfix GB but unfortunately this particular kit was first issued too late to be eligible.  The aircraft is one of five Boeing 727s used on the Cape Town to Jo'Burg route by Comair but finished in full BA livery.

Modifications include:

• Rear wing fences removed and new leading edge ones added
  • Full size nose gear doors from plasticard
  • Daco cockpit
  • Top edge of #2 intake reshaped where it meets the fin
  • Rear HF antenna from brass rod

FDcals for the tail art / doors and Authentic Decals for cabin & cockpit windows.

Paints used include Halfords Appliance White and Fiat Capri Blue, MC218 Aluminium (leading edges) and SM07 Chrome Silver (engines).

Build thread here 

Anyway, enough words so here are a few photos

20180814_192603

20180814_184004

20180814_192444

20180814_192538

and one with a DelftBlue 727-200 (the blue really is blue and not black!)

20180814_184303

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That is really an excellent model.  Beautiful build and beautiful finish in a unique colour scheme.

Well done and thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Dave G

Praise indeed considering your superb builds!

I do have decals for one more DelftBlue aircraft but that involves cutting down a 777-300 to make a 200 - on the back burner for the moment as the end of the year may well be taken up with 1/48 Grummans.

3 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Nice livery, congratulations, well done!

Thanks, it's a livery I don't remember seeing but a very attractive one

Hi Mike,

I like this one, as others have said it's unusual to see a 727 in this livery and I think the changes you've made do make a difference.

My guess is that DelftBlue Daybreak is your favourite World livery!? It'll be a nice line up once you finish your 777! Which 777 kit are you going to use?

Cheers,

Ian

4 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

I like this one, as others have said it's unusual to see a 727 in this livery and I think the changes you've made do make a difference.

My guess is that DelftBlue Daybreak is your favourite World livery!? It'll be a nice line up once you finish your 777! Which 777 kit are you going to use?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Glad you like the changes, especially as you pointed them out early in my build thread!

I've got the Zvezda version of the 777 and this model at Denver airport was the one that first drew my eye to this livery (although each tail is a subtle variation on the theme)

DSC00652a

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

Hi Mike,

Looking forward to the 777! Don't forget you'll need to use Bra.Z replacement GE90 engines and chop off the extended wingtips. Apart from that it's just a case of cutting down the fuselage and taking off the tail bumper.

Cheers,

Ian

45 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Looking forward to the 777! Don't forget you'll need to use Bra.Z replacement GE90 engines and chop off the extended wingtips. Apart from that it's just a case of cutting down the fuselage and taking off the tail bumper.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

The Braz engines are already in the box😀 - that PE etch you used looks good.

Out of curiosity, when you did your Air New Zealand 777-200 did you make the cuts before or after glueing the fuselage halves together?  I've read a couple of posts where people have recommended the latter method as making the cuts in slightly different points on the LHS and RHS aids longitudinal alignment.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I nearly always build the fuselage then cut it down. I just find it easier that way. The only exception recently was an A340-500 Bra.Z conversion which I'd read had different diameter plugs to the Revell fuselage and the recommendation was to construct each side then join the left and right sides.

I've never felt the need to stagger the cuts to add strength or aid alignment but I do spend a long time dry fitting and testing everything is aligned before glueing. Also I find a strip of styrene on the inside of one of the pieces acts as a collar to help when the two parts are brought together. When adding the glue I tend to flood it into the joint then hold it tightly together and let some melted styrene squeeze out.

Here are a few pics of a 777-200LR I'm working on.

43339264014_947390dbd9_k.jpg

29120838867_37b7b73ff6_k.jpg

43339339724_722a158c7a_k.jpg

43339361124_dabd15374f_k.jpg

Sorry they're not the best pics but you'll get what I mean.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello Forty,

Master modeler. For me as a Dutchmen very pleasant to see the DELFT BLUE attached to the aircraft.

You turned it into a winner. Regards, Orion

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Forty,

Master modeler. For me as a Dutchmen very pleasant to see the DELFT BLUE attached to the aircraft.

You turned it into a winner. Regards, Orion

Thanks Orion - the KLM Bols houses first attracted me to the scheme, long before I got back into modelling aircraft and realised that it had appeared on some BA tails.

Excellent renditions of the 727, 737 and 777 (in-progress) alike!

The clean build style and precise finishing are evident in your pics.

Incidentally, regarding that Denver Airport 777 model, I wonder how many of us have looked at those display/promo models and wished we could own one!

From what I've read over the years, they're usually made of fibre-glass and built-to-order for the airlines.  No doubt much more expensive than a plastic kit, but it would be lovely to acquire one (or more) for showing off at home.  I can go on dreaming.

Well done on the 727 and others, anyway.

:clap:

• Like 1

Lovely work there and those changes you made make a big difference to the overall look of the 727. Looks great alongside the 737 -Double Dutch?? 🙄

Dave

• Like 1

You wait ages for an Airfix 727 to appear in RFI, and 2 come along at once!

Lovely job on improving the kit, I always thought it suited that BA scheme, and it makes you do a double take and think 'BA never operated 727s did they?' They sure did, albeit through a subsidiary,as you have shown

Cheers

John

• Like 1

fab work there - not only a very nice 727 but in one of my favourite BA liveries of the time when the tail fins had numerous variants.

I only flew on 727's a handful of times  but always entered and existed by the rear air-stair which was a fascination and made me feel more connected to the aircraft as opposed to boarding via an apron or front steps. Its nice to see your 727 lined up with the 737 too - very nice work alround

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...