Airfix FW190A Quickie

25 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Hear, hear. Having done the Airfix and Tamiya 109E recently we are long overdue a really good 109E in the gentlemans scale. 

any 109E, F, G model would be welcome as long as its not overdone like the spitfires

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Its also worth watching out for local deals: The Grunherz combo mentioned is a cracking £21 from our own @Mikemx. Given the £8.99 Airfix were last charging for their 190 A/F, its a bargain when you think of the masks and etch included. Mind you sometime ago Mike sold me two of the 4 pack Royal class FW190 @£35.00 each and I got an armload of Airfix A-8/F8s from Home bargains for £2.99 each...Either way,Mitch grab one and build a Butcher Bird, you know you want to!

The Eduard kits really are awesome! We always have some boxings of it in cheap. I wouldn't get any other Fw190A/F kit now other than the Eduard one but your paint job on that Airfix one is looking good!

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

I’m surprised you haven’t picked up the hobbyboss one todo yet @Mitch K!

The Eduard one’s certainly look good in the box, plus the usual extras. Maybe some of them can be used to spruce up the Airfix ones? That’s my plan with the Airfix spitfire Mk.IX I have anyway! 

Looking good so far!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie_c67 said:

I’m surprised you haven’t picked up the hobbyboss one todo yet @Mitch K!

The Eduard one’s certainly look good in the box, plus the usual extras. Maybe some of them can be used to spruce up the Airfix ones? That’s my plan with the Airfix spitfire Mk.IX I have anyway! 

Looking good so far!

I toyed with that as having built their easy kits before but found the FW190 a bit too dumbed down, especially in the cockpit and you cant do it wheels up. Apparently its very inaccurate but that wouldn't bother me

1 hour ago, Mitch K said:

A propos of nothing on this thread, I've just bought myself an IK-3 and a Dewoitine 520!🤣

An IK3? the Azur Fromm one? And the 520?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, azureglo said:

I toyed with that as having built their easy kits before but found the FW190 a bit too dumbed down, especially in the cockpit and you cant do it wheels up. Apparently its very inaccurate but that wouldn't bother me

An IK3? the Azur Fromm one? And the 520?

Don't fancy the HB Focke Wulf. The IK-3 is indeed from Azur, but the Dewoitine is a Smer (ex-Heller), probably to go in Italian markings!

• Like 1

A lovely build of one of Airfix's more spectacular missed open goals: well done!  They got so much right with this kit but I'm afraid I took a look at the slab-type trailing edges and tossed mine back into the stash.  With the Eduard kit available at such amazing prices (even undercutting Airfix if you choose your supplier) I can't see any reason, even shortage of readies, for buying the Airfix kit.  Ditto Bf 110.  If the detail, even on the Weekend Edition kits doesn't appeal, leave it out: you'll still have a model with fewer fit problems and a lot more finesse.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 8:38 PM, azureglo said:

This: 

cricutandaml.jpg&key=f663df45c3a17e10449

The mask material is Oracal 810 as it seems to be distort less than Washi type material when doing straight lines.  Chose the Cricut over the Silhouette Cameo as it can cut finer and I don't use its horrible software apart from the final cutting.

They are fantastic pieces of kit but I just don't understand (apart from sheer greed) why they are so expensive!

Anyways... That's a lovely build you've done there and a great paint job.

Edited by Gav G
  • Like 1