1956 Suez Collection 1/72nd & 1/48th

Fantastic collection.  Superior workmanship.  I do wonder why the the blue on the national insignia for the  AEW.1 Skyraider is so light?  

• Like 1

Great theme and a great collection - all nicely done.

In passing I recall reading somewhere that the FAA Sea Hawk pilots did not fancy running across any Mig 15s while on their on operations.  Sensible chaps those navy types.

No Hunter?  

• Like 1

Hello Tony,

What a nice collection from the Suez Incident in 1956. Amazing that you kept to one idea, because this must have taken you quite some time to get finished.

This must look very impressive on your display stand.

My favorite is the Sea Hawk. Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 10:40 PM, woody37 said:

Stunning collection mate and I bet you built them all in one week 🤪

hope you had had a good holiday :)

Cheers Neil,.... yes we had a great time mate,........ Sorrento is a beautiful place and Capri is bloody expensive!!!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 12:32 AM, pacificmustang said:

OOH!  I think Ive just  found the scheme for my Trumpeter 32 scale Avenger

Great collection Tony.  I miss Neil Robinson's editing

I loved how he used to "theme" issues of his magazines.  I still have this issue at home as well as the one he did on 2TAF, or was that SAM?

Bruce

Cheers Bruce and yes,.... a TBM-3 in the colours of the HMS Bulwark Ships Flight would look spectacular,...... they both had names on the side of the fuselage,......this one was `Beryle The Peril'! 

Yes Neil`s editing is sorely missed indeed,....... the 2nd TAF edition was in SAMI.

Edited by tonyot

On 8/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, Mikemx said:

Very nice! The Wyvern is a Trumpeter kit btw.

thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike,..... I had totally forgotten which kit it was! I have a Classic Airframes model in similar colours...... in fact this could well have been the Classic kit,....come to think of it!

On 8/15/2018 at 5:04 PM, JohnT said:

Great theme and a great collection - all nicely done.

In passing I recall reading somewhere that the FAA Sea Hawk pilots did not fancy running across any Mig 15s while on their on operations.  Sensible chaps those navy types.

No Hunter?  

Cheers John,...... yes the Sea Hawk pilots were rather nervous of the MiG 15,...... BUT it still didn`t stop them chasing some,.....they just couldn`t catch then as they were riunning away too quickly!!

I do have a Hunter in Suez stripes but it was made so long ago that I have no wish to share it on line,...... I need to build another to replace it.

Edited by tonyot
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, Ad-4N said:

Fantastic collection.  Superior workmanship.  I do wonder why the the blue on the national insignia for the  AEW.1 Skyraider is so light?  

Thanks,....... yes some Skyraiders had lighter blue used on their roundels to make them stand out better against the Gloss Sea Blue finish;

skyraiders in australiaSkyraider RN-1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I do have a Hunter in Suez stripes but it was made so long ago that I have no wish to share it on line,...... I need to build another to replace it.

"I need to build another to replace it."

Go on Tony - you know you want to - and a Canberra too.  Did I mention a Valiant? :wicked:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JohnT said:

"I need to build another to replace it."

Go on Tony - you know you want to - and a Canberra too.  Did I mention a Valiant? :wicked:

All in good time! I`d love to do a silver Valiant but as I have two white ones already I doubt if I`ll have room for another. The Hunter, Canberra, Valetta and Hastings are all in the pipeline though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks,....... yes some Skyraiders had lighter blue used on their roundels to make them stand out better against the Gloss Sea Blue finish;

skyraiders in australiaSkyraider RN-1

Ya learn something new everyday on the Interweb.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Mike,..... I had totally forgotten which kit it was! I have a Classic Airframes model in similar colours...... in fact this could well have been the Classic kit,....come to think of it!

I only know that as I've got the Trumpeter 1/72 one myself, and I know most of the 1/48 Hobby Boss range being a seller of it :). I've got loads of Suez stuff in 1/72, I just wish we had a nice Hunter Mk 5 as I can't be bothered converting an existing Hunter into one.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Brilliant! What an outstanding collection of beautiful aircraft.

Given the size of the RAF and Armee de l'Air at the time, plus the military might of Israel, I still find it incredible we didn't tell the Americans to mind their own business while we jointly vapourised the Egyptians. The combined might of the UK, France and Israel is a pretty formidable force, even today!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Brilliant! What an outstanding collection of beautiful aircraft.

Given the size of the RAF and Armee de l'Air at the time, plus the military might of Israel, I still find it incredible we didn't tell the Americans to mind their own business while we jointly vapourised the Egyptians. The combined might of the UK, France and Israel is a pretty formidable force, even today!

It was all to do with money,..... Eisenhower threatened to cripple the pound and the entire British economy whil also failing to denounce the USSR when they threatened to nuke us! 

Glad you like the models,...cheers. Suez was a military success but a political disaster! 

• Like 1

Tony,

Great, great collection. I must admit that 1:48 is now my favoured scale but there are some nice 1:72 scale models in among the mix.

Well done, Sir !

Mark

• Like 1

Fantastic collection!!

The badies....it always depends I guess!

One of the stranger wars... not too easily justified I'd say!

I am missing by the way F-84s carrying the Star of David.... also an interesting detail.....

Edited by exdraken