German Bunker Hints and Tips

Redcoat78

Hi guys,

after years of making airplanes I am planning to switch to dioramas world for the very first time. I would make a diorama set on Normandy including a german bunker for which I have bought the Modelplus Bunker Flak (1:35).

I cannot find any suggestion for painting and weathering the bunker (which is concrete made). Do you have any experience or suggestion?

Bunker will be my first part, later on I will proceed with the rest, adding a Flak 38, figures and general equipment.

Thanks!

Simone 

Sounds like a nice dioarama Simone, some bunkers were camouflaged black and green others were left bare concrete. The weathering would have been minimal, as they would have been relatively new at that point.

Heres a couple or pictures 70+ years on.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Some bunkers were painted in a disruptive, splinter pattern, specially those with open tops, intended as antiaircraft positions. The big ones, like those enclosing coastal artillery positions, used to be covered with plants or moss. And going the bizarre way, those around coastal towns, were painted like fake buildings, with counterfeit windows, doors, signs, etc.....

421101b.jpg

• Like 1