Alclad Vlad

Cadman

Friday 10-Aug-2018

Some time ago, and for reasons that now kind of escape me, I decided to order up a bottle of Alclad Prismatic Maple lacquer, along with their gloss black primer and aqua-gloss topcoat. I probably had some vague idea of doing something rather “arty” with it, but the problem with this stuff is that it can’t be shipped via airmail so it had to be sent by surface mail from Hong Kong. The order took something like ten weeks to reach our remote corner of N.E. China and by the time the package got here my interest had waned, so the paint has been languishing on a shelf for the past couple of years.

Well, a few days ago, while being forced to tidy up my hobby room a tad, I happened to notice the three Alclad bottles and once I managed to work out what they actually were, I got to wondering what I might use them for.

Hmm, I’m not a car modeler and couldn’t think of any household items that would benefit from a lick of Alclad lacquer, but I do enjoy assembling and painting white metal or resin kit miniatures. So much so that I have two examples of Pegaso Models excellent 75mm Vlad Dracul and Roaming Knight figures, albeit they were painted in slightly different color schemes just to keep things that bit fandabbiedozzy.

This is my first stab at these brilliant pieces; and they're just straight copies of the boxart.

01. Vlad & RK_1

This was my second effort around two years later. Sure, they're a little bit different, but you're sort of limited as to just how different the paint jobs can be done.

02. Vlad & RK_2

Well, it just so happens that I had a third version of Vlad sitting in my stash cupboard – the reason why is neither here nor there – and already having two versions, I simply wasn’t inclined to paint up another one.

And it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that where I’m going with this thread is now becoming somewhat obvious....😨....😀

So on Friday I began the process of drilling and pinning the model -- and gluing my fingers together, as usual.

03. Alclad Vlad Friday

04. Alclad Vlad

The 54mm Andrea figure was included in the following snap to demonstrate just how huge these 75mm models are, and once assembled Vlad weighs around 1kg, which is kind of pretty Heavy Metal.

05. Alclad Vlad

That's as far as I got with it on Friday.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Edited by Cadman
spelling
  • Like 3

Saturday 11-Aug-2018

Saturday morning; and I carried on assembling my spare Vlad Dracul. The following photos illustrate most of the steps.

06. Alclad Vlad Saturday

07. Alclad Vlad

The kit construction tends to be fairly straightforward, although there's a couple of steps that can trip you up. Then again, and as previously mentioned, this wasn't my first rodeo with Vlad Dracul, so I was already aware of any potential issues.

08. Alclad Vlad

09. Alclad Vlad

10. Alclad Vlad

So that was the assembly pretty much finished and I left the model alone overnight while all the 2-part epoxy and superglue settled down.

Sunday 12-Aug-2018

Sunday morning; and the model got two light coats of Alclad gloss black primer.

11. Vlad_Sunday

I'm not used to Alclad paint bottles and managed to lose half of it onto the floor - and onto myself - when the top flew off as I was attempting to fill the cup on my airbrush....DOH....

....cack-handed'R'us..!! 

😲....😨😨

However, I managed to get most of it off after a rub with IPA and then a good scrub in the shower.

An expensive and rather aggravating foul up, but lucky for me the wife was staying at her daughter's place over the weekend and I managed to clean the stuff off the floor tiles before she got home – and saw the mess – and go radio rental.

As it is, she knows nothing about the incident.

Phew! 

☺️

Strangely enough, the Alclad primer didn’t seem all that glossy when it was initially sprayed on, but developed a deep shine as it dried. Which I thought was a bit weird?

It doesn't honk as bad as I expected either. In fact my locally bought airbrush cleaner smells far worse - but the side benefit of using that particular cleaning fluid is that it replaced the last whiff of foul language still lingering in the atmosphere after that bottle top popped off. 

TO BE CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Edited by Cadman
fixed a comment
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Monday 13-Aug-2018

Monday morning; well, the first coat of Maple Lacquer went onto Vlad Dracul around 9 o’clock Monday morning. I then sat with my jaw hitting the deck for the next ten to fifteen minutes as the lacquer dried and the prismatic effect began to appear.

15. Vlad_13-Aug-2018

14. Vlad_13-Aug-2018

13. Vlad_13-Aug-2018

12. Vlad_Monday

The impact of the color change was quite astonishing – and that’s just the first coat!

I gave the model a second coat of lacquer yesterday afternoon and left it to cure overnight. It’ll get a couple of coats of Alclad clear aqua-gloss later today and then I’ll try to work out how I’m going to display the model; although I already have an idea in mind.

Somehow or other I must get a video clip out to friends and relations showing how the colors change as you move the model around, or move your head around the model. It’s quite stunning. Should be able to upload a video to my Youtube or Dropbox account.

DISCLAIMER

I accept that for some, this might well represent a waste of a figure costing approximately US$100, but the point is, and as I’ve previously mentioned, I already have two of those Pegaso Vlad Dracul models. I simply don’t need a third one in my collection. And it's not as if I can sell the kit cos no-one around here would buy it, and even if they did they’d expect to pay a re-caster’s price;

i.e. about 10 bucks – and that’s no pirated re-cast. It’s a genuine Pegaso model, bought and imported from the UK.

So that’s how I justify this little exercise to myself. The kit would’ve just sat in the cupboard until such time as I eventually shuffle off this mortal coil – and then be thrown out along with all my other scrap metal and similar junk. This wee project means that at least I’m getting some enjoyment out of this surplus to requirements model. Well, a kind of enjoyment I mean, and after all, I now know how the caps on Alclad primer bottles work.

Besides, Nitromors paint stripper is still pretty cheap.

Next update – today’s frolics with Alclad aqua-gloss topcoat – posted tonight my time, prob’ly.

Edited by Cadman
fixed a comment
  • Like 5

Well, two coats of aqua-gloss later and I'm simply blown away with the results. The way the colors change from a copper red to a deep green as you move the model around is quite incredible. Wifey's scared to come near me now cos she reckons I've been attending night classes in....sorcery....

🤩

Alclad Vlad_14-Aug-2018_a

Alclad Vlad_14-Aug-2018_b

Alclad Vlad_14-Aug-2018_c

Alclad Vlad_14-Aug-2018_d

Alclad Vlad_14-Aug-2018_e

As experiments go, this one has succeeded beyond all expectations. It's certainly been interesting, albeit something I'll most likely never do again but it's definitely been time well spent in my opinion. What's more, we've now got a totally unique present to hand over next time there's a birthday, or a wedding, or anything else.

Cheers

H

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

That's a beauty Cadman,although i don't think i could get rid of it that'd definitely be a keeper...

It's certainly unusual Vince, and extremely eye catching. I wonder if anyone else has ever used this stuff on a figure as opposed to a vehicle?

I'd like to get my hands on the different Prismatic lacquers just to try them out but it's difficult because of shipping restrictions, plus I can't find too many on-line vendors close enough at hand to make surface mail viable. Luckymodel in Hong Kong have had these on backorder for an eternity, and I know there's a model shop in Shenzhen stocks it, but they don't use Paypal. I might try asking one of the nationals to buy some for me, but with my execrable command of the language I'm liable to end up with a pizza, or an umbrella.

One of the Japanese hobby shops might be worth a try though.

Dunno, I'll chew it over some more.

Meanwhile I have a Kabuki Models Frazetta Death Dealer to get on with, and was completely ignored yesterday and today cos I got sidetracked with this little experiment.

😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

orsum

Absolutely.

I deliberately left the spurs for later because I would've just broke them off and lost the things while turning the figure around to ensure the paint went into every nook and crannie.

They'll go on tomorrow.

Edited by Cadman

1 hour ago, Cadman said:

It's certainly unusual Vince, and extremely eye catching. I wonder if anyone else has ever used this stuff on a figure as opposed to a vehicle?

I'd like to get my hands on the different Prismatic lacquers just to try them out but it's difficult because of shipping restrictions, plus I can't find too many on-line vendors close enough at hand to make surface mail viable. Luckymodel in Hong Kong have had these on backorder for an eternity, and I know there's a model shop in Shenzhen stocks it, but they don't use Paypal. I might try asking one of the nationals to buy some for me, but with my execrable command of the language I'm liable to end up with a pizza, or an umbrella.

One of the Japanese hobby shops might be worth a try though.

Dunno, I'll chew it over some more.

Meanwhile I have a Kabuki Models Frazetta Death Dealer to get on with, and was completely ignored yesterday and today cos I got sidetracked with this little experiment.

😎

A few years ago i saw a clay/pottery horse at a car boot for 2 quid,a bit tatty but about 10 inches tall and well moulded ( for some reason my first thought was Bergman)....On the way home i popped into a garage and bought a rattle can of primer and bronze and it looked brilliant for a few months but eventually the paint started flaking off,whether it was the clay absorbed the chemicals or the heat during the summer i don't know.....

Vince, if you still have the horse and the time, strip it back the best you can then give it a couple of coats of diluted PVA.

That should remove the porosity of the clay/pottery then repaint as before.

Got to remember the original finish would have been

baked on / fired therefore becoming part of the original.

HTH?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Vince, if you still have the horse and the time, strip it back the best you can then give it a couple of coats of diluted PVA.

That should remove the porosity of the clay/pottery then repaint as before.

Got to remember the original finish would have been

baked on / fired therefore becoming part of the original.

HTH?

Thanks Phoenix,i haven't got it any more but there's a few charity shops in St Sampsons so it shouldn't be to difficult to find another one (also if i find any busts of Napoleon/Wellington/Caesar etc)....

8 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

A few years ago i saw a clay/pottery horse at a car boot for 2 quid,a bit tatty but about 10 inches tall and well moulded ( for some reason my first thought was Bergman)....On the way home i popped into a garage and bought a rattle can of primer and bronze and it looked brilliant for a few months but eventually the paint started flaking off,whether it was the clay absorbed the chemicals or the heat during the summer i don't know.....

Sometimes it's these spur of the moment decisions that end up really paying off. This experiment of mine was much the same. You know, "Och, let's just give it a try. No big deal if it doesn't work", kind of thing.

Anyway, I woke this morning to find the Evil Old Goat has taken up residence on the Polish Winged Hussars/Ottomans shelf in one of our display cabinets. He's not quite from the same era, but does look good in there as he surveys the carnage going on below his perch.

🤤

Vlad 15-Aug-2018b

Vlad 15-Aug-2018d

Vlad 15-Aug-2018a

Vlad 15-Aug-2018c

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1