HMS Dido (Ikara Leander) 1979 - [WAFU’s away match]

As promised, today’s episode features micro-Waspy goodness.  Another lovely job from Peter Hall, once painted this should look excellent.  Hard to photograph with auto-focus iPhone.  Note the flot canisters assembled but not yet fitted below; I think they’re candidates for some tiny soldering onto their brass brackets, or they’re just going to be too fragile.  Final picture with standard Swann-Morton No.11 for scale.

50145567647_a64aca0029_b.jpg

50145567657_50b473f05a_b.jpg

50145329446_e267576dbc_b.jpg

50145329481_44544d9132_b.jpg

Actually these shots don’t do full justice to Peter’s work; the moulded detail round the engine remarkable for the scale - just hope my detail work with hairy brush can do it justice!

More soon

Crisp

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, Dancona said:

And you think I'm mad, 🤣🤣🤣  that is very small, be very careful you don't inhale it accidentally !!

Amazed

David

David, I only think you’re mad because I know S & R, and there’s not much doubt about either of them; I am assuming that genetics didn’t spare you entirely...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

David, I only think you’re mad because I know S & R, and there’s not much doubt about either of them; I am assuming that genetics didn’t spate you entirely...

Wibble !

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That Wasp is indeed a miniature marvel. Is it moulded with the doors off or did you "remove them" ?

Terry

It’s moulded with a gap for the front doors, though I have deepened it a little when tidying up the resin.  What you see is a single piece of resin, with 6 pieces of brass: 2 sort of diamond shapes that fit under the belly, with the ends forming the LOWER V of the undercarriage, then 4 pieces (1 per corner) which make up the wheel, oleo and upper V.  There’s a brass horizontal stabiliser; brass tail rotor; 3 pieces that sandwich to make up the main rotor head & blades; and the flot canisters - each with tiny twin brackets. 

It’s a lovely piece of design; the key to making it look really convincing will be the paint job.  Still deciding whether to add anything extra (like maybe a torpedo under the belly?)

Mind you, Peter worked on 829 looking after Wasps for years, so he has a head start on understanding the key elements of the design!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andrewa said:

Go on Crisp - fold the blades and tail - you know you want to...

spacer.png

Nice try, mate!  (And yours is stunning!). But no; the reason the hangar door is half open (& the nets will be down) is because she will be at flying stations with the cab in Fly 1

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

the reason the hangar door is half open (& the nets will be down) is because she will be at flying stations with the cab in Fly 1

we like. we like!

Terry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, missile-monkey said:

Sorry about that. Fat fingers little keyboard.

Crisp I meant to ask what is the piece of kit that looks like a straight up speaking trumpet on the starboard side of the flight deck just behind the wasp?

Regards

MM

Edited by missile-monkey
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, andrewa said:

Go on Crisp - fold the blades and tail - you know you want to...

spacer.png

Andrew, I’ve just noticed what you've done with the GPI on the hangar roof; hollowed out (replaced?) Peter’s simple box and put a GPI light inside it.  I hate you for making me even think about it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

(One of the few things missing from the original kit is the 2 Sonar Type 182 (towed acoustic decoy) bodies that lived on the port side of the quarterdeck.  They were sort of short, fat torpedo shapes, so I’ve bodged a couple together - they will be yellow with brown noses:

50152018347_e11468a1f3_b.jpg

Then I moved onto the 2 x 40mm Bofors, cleaning up Peter’s white metal gun carriages and adding a master turned brass barrel:

50151779816_f14258403b_b.jpg

50151231383_ce528b6cb1_b.jpg

Like the Wasp, they’ll benefit from some careful painting.

Then onto the boot topping:

1. Taking no chances with overspray!

50151780111_4a55830997_b.jpg

2. Happy port

50151780116_0a3905c8c5_b.jpg

3. Happy starboard (one tiny blemish under the Ikara launcher):

50152018632_5eec9df930_b.jpg

4.  Happy bow:

50152018497_532bc40982_b.jpg

The ‘black’ is a 50:50 of Jamie’s Tyre Black & Night Bomber Black.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

1. Taking no chances with overspray!

50151780111_4a55830997_b.jpg

Very wise. Ask me how I know ............ 😱

When I first saw those type 182 bodies I thought you were fashioning two WE177's for that poor wee wasp! I know ............... she could could only lift one. 

Those Master barrels are just superb. I've just had a delivery of a few for some future projects as well as a pair of 20mm for the Vosper Oerlikon. Four parts to each barrel, and that excludes the breech block.

Dido is really starting to look the part.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50145329446_e267576dbc_b.jpg

I'll send you a few pieces of PETg for the cabin roof and windows then Crisp OK?

This will be lovely with the full interior and the SS12 sight poking through the roof.

Oh I do like to see you experts knocking out happy little Wopses.

👍

Oh yes by the way, nice little boaty boat.

Very nice.

• Haha 4

It'll be the AS-es then Crisp, not really my skill set.

My missile training was based around 66 LAWs and with my forgetfulness I bet I would forget how to open one up ready to use it.

It's a good job I am retired...

:)

• Haha 4

Round of applause for Peter Hall @ Atlantic Models; I only asked him about 72 hours ago: we have a mortar again!  Needs cleaning up, but this is literally straight out of the envelope...

50152160063_680b8d4182_b.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Andrew, I’ve just noticed what you've done with the GPI on the hangar roof; hollowed out (replaced?) Peter’s simple box and put a GPI light inside it.  I hate you for making me even think about it...

Afraid so,  there are a couple of other fixes I made that you’ve not got to yet - and a couple you got that I missed,  I think we both spotted the stanchions under the chaff launchers, towed decoys, nav lights and the strange cable deck fitting...  happy to share or keep quiet - your call

Edited by andrewa
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

they will be yellow with brown noses:

I knew a couple of NCO's that were just like that!

That Wasp is about the size of a mosquito!    It's coming along rather nicely now Crisp.  Each layer of paint is breathing more life into her

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, andrewa said:

Afraid so,  there are a couple of other fixes I made that you’ve not got to yet - and a couple you got that I missed,  I think we both spotted the stanchions under the chaff launchers, towed decoys, nav lights and the strange cable deck fitting...  happy to share or keep quiet - your call

OK, I’m game.  There’s a radio aerial gizmo (exciter? - I never was much of a Greenie!) centre deck just ahead of the funnel; I know about that & have been wondering whether it’s worth the faff.  Jettisonable petrol stowage rack starboard aft - in the PE but not yet fitted. What else have I missed?

I do not necessarily promise I’ll do them!

• Like 2