Turkish Spitfire

Beard

I thought I'd signed-up for this Group Build but it looks like I didn't, I hope no-one minds me joining in with this.

20180813_204633

20180813_204730

I believe three Spitfires were delivered to the Turkish Air Force in 1939/40, a time when every Spitfire was likely to be needed for the defence of the UK - which shows how important Turkish neutrality was. Two were later returned to the RAF and used for training in Egypt.

Anyway, I'll start this in the next couple of days and, as I've made around 30 Airfix Spitfires, expect it to be a quick build so I should have time to the others on the sheet and, if I can source some transfers, a couple more.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Beard said:

I believe three Spitfires were delivered to the Turkish Air Force in 1939/40, a time when every Spitfire was likely to be needed for the defence of the UK - which shows how important Turkish neutrality was. Two were later returned to the RAF and used for training in Egypt.

May I ask about serial number of Spitfire Mk I? If it is a  281 (serial number) or  L1066 (RAF serial number), then it is a single Spitfire, that was purchased by Poland for trials. The plane was transported when Poland fall, so because it was already in Istanbul, it was sold to Turkey.  

By the way, If I'm correct, neutrality/alliance with Romania and Yugoslavia in 1939-1940 was more important than Turkey, If I'm correct, Turkey ordered 3 planes, got three, and one only because it was already there.

• Like 1

Welcome to the GB !

A Spitfire is always welcome and this seems to be a historically significant one. I'd be interested in knowing more about the Turkish deal and what happened, so if some info can be added during the build I'll be very glad to hear

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Botan and Giorgio, apologies for taking so long to reply. I'll do some digging and post what I find later.

As the Mediterranean GB has finished, I've made a start on this one.

The cockpit bits are done (apart from painting the grip on the control column and the headrest).

20180827_163721

I painted the interior with Colourcoats Interior Grey-green and Tamiya Flat Aluminium and gave it a poster paint wash a dry-brush with a light grey. Then promptly forgot to take a photograph before gluing the fuselage halves.

Airfix omit the rudder actuator rod, it's easily done with a piece of stretched sprue:

20180827_163737

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

No need to apologise, the GB still runs for a while and you can sure complete your model in time even starting now.

Good start, I only have one doubt: the picture shows a cockpit colour that is very far from what I'd expect for grey green, almost looks like a blue grey. Is my monitor seeing strange things or is the Colourcoat paint that way ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Good start, I only have one doubt: the picture shows a cockpit colour that is very far from what I'd expect for grey green, almost looks like a blue grey. Is my monitor seeing strange things or is the Colourcoat paint that way ? 

The odd colour of the interior paint is due to a combination of my phone's camera and the lighting in my modelling-cum-dinning room.

• Like 1

Back from work, via a trip to a friend's house to record him drumming and to pick up some drum tracks he'd recorded for me, so it's time to wrangle a Spitfire.

2018-08-28_08-15-46

Those pegs should.stop it getting away.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Looking very good ! Love the way the painted model look, the Nato Black on the undersides is also much more realistic than a proper black.

Thanks Giorgio.

It's odd that the NATO Black looks better than black, I showed my wife while I was doing it but she showed little to no interest.

• Like 1

No photographs, so you'll just have to take my word for it, but two coats of Future have been applied, the canopy has had dip in Future and, the exhausts are at the dry-brushing stage.

I'll post some photographs tomorrow, when the tansfers go on.

• Like 1

Well this sure is an unusual Spitfire ! love the look of those large red squares on the wings !

Regarding NATO black, I believe that there is afterall some truth in the idea of "scale effect" when chosing paint and, with a few exceptions, on a scale model the use of a less saturated colour often results more realistic to the eye. Personally I use this paint quite often for different applications. Black cockpits are one example, as a pure black would make most details disappear completely

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio, although I think there's been some discussion as to the size of the upperwing markings.

Anyway, this one is now finished and some photographs are in the gallery.

Thanks to everyone who liked, commented or tagged along and, special thanks to Giorgio for hosting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

That certainly looks different.  A great addition to the GB.

Thank you.

20 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Good looking model, glad to have it in the gallery !

Thanks for taking part in the GB, loved your choice of subject and the result.

Thanks Giorgio. I think there's time for at least one more from me and there are two Spitfires to do on the Blackbird Models sheet.

• Like 1