Russian Infantryman 1713.

Great build Roger, as usual!

If you have your land legs and are going to the Driffield show

on the 2nd September, anything you want to bring along.........

Paul

7 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Great build Roger, as usual!

If you have your land legs and are going to the Driffield show

on the 2nd September, anything you want to bring along.........

Paul

Thanks Paul. Not sure if we have anything planned for that weekend, I'll check.

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Amazing! :clap:

Impeccable and very evocative paint job :worthy: How you do that in 1/54 is beyond me....

Ciao

Thanks very much Giorgio, I have a big pair of come nearer goggles. 😁

2 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Great detail,and your usual fine work,Cheers.

Thanks very much Jim. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks very much Giorgio, I have a big pair of come nearer goggles. 😁

:rofl: Me too, in addition to any sort of magnifiers :frantic: But I feel at ease only from 75mm on... 😉

Ciao

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 3:03 AM, Roger Newsome said:

54mm white metal figure by EK Castings depicting a Corporal of the Smolensk Regiment.
Painted in acrylics, oils and a bit of enamel thrown in for good measure. 

IMG_6288IMG_6289

Wow, that's eye catching, and red is one of those colors that can be tricky, but you nailed it.

2 hours ago, Cadman said:

Wow, that's eye catching, and red is one of those colors that can be tricky, but you nailed it.

Thanks very much. I've found the best way to treat red is to go easy on the highlight but go extra deep on the shading.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks very much. I've found the best way to treat red is to go easy on the highlight but go extra deep on the shading.

Funny, but that's what I try to do as well. I'll use something like Napoleonic red as a basecoat and then take it from there.

I've found that a  good highlight for a really bright red effect is the slightest touch of orange, or even a yellow, but only as the very top highlight, and only the very slightest touch. If you're careful though, it really does create a very subtle red tone. 

For red shadows, I tend to avoid black and go through a series of brown colors until I'm using a very dark brown for the deepest shadows.

Naturally, we all have our own ways of doing things, but these two approaches are what works for me.

☺️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cadman said:

Funny, but that's what I try to do as well. I'll use something like Napoleonic red as a basecoat and then take it from there.

I've found that a  good highlight for a really bright red effect is the slightest touch of orange, or even a yellow, but only as the very top highlight, and only the very slightest touch. If you're careful though, it really does create a very subtle red tone. 

For red shadows, I tend to avoid black and go through a series of brown colors until I'm using a very dark brown for the deepest shadows.

Naturally, we all have our own ways of doing things, but these two approaches are what works for me.

☺️

You can also try adding a dark green to your red or Paynes Grey also works for shading. Adding a flesh tone is good for highlights but as you say, only to the very top highlight. 

• Like 1