Costa Rican pony - finished

While I’ve been pottering away with the cockpit (1 broken control column while removing it from sprue, 2 trips to the floor to retrieve aforesaid column, 1 unforseen superglue/hand incident) I’ve been having a proper look at the pictures of the real thing. The Costa Rican markings and aluminium paint don’t quite cover the previous owner’s markings so I’ve raided the spares for Texas National Guard markings which hopefully will show through the final coat and add some more character

30160883488_3960c6209d_b.jpg

• Like 2

Yesterday saw the cockpit about ready to be hidden forever

30179282788_66af052b70_b.jpg

A bit of an experiment in applying decals between metallic coats to get some shine through

29115134027_618827f49b_b.jpg

I think that might work so the Mustang gets a metallic coat and the ersatz Texas ANG markings get applied

29115140347_b91a8403a5_b.jpg

The text of the X is a bit thin but as it is all getting painted over I hope I’ll get away with it

• Like 1

Some solid progress

Overpainted the Texas ANG markings

IMG_0180

Depending on the viewing angle these are more or less visible

Added the Costa Rican decals

IMG_0181

And started adding the rest of the bits and pieces ready to enter the final straight

IMG_0185

• Like 8

6 hours ago, badger said:

Great progress!!

How did the decals behave as I have some other blue rider ones to use on a Sopwith Pup?

Thanks!

The decals really behaved very nicely - I was a bit concerned about how I’d get on with the stripes on the tail as I had to bend the 1st one round a lot of angles to cover the top, trailing and bottom edges and the 2nd I had to apply and then trim in situ. I had visions of them tearing but they went on beatifully and conformed well with a bit of teasing and microsol. Only thing I’d suggest is to make sure you trim any of their extraneous lettering or lines away as I left a line thinking it’d be no bother but it broke up into very fine bits floating on the water surface. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...