1/72 Vulcan B.2 Anti-Flash White.

No pictures just yet, but I have an Airfix B.2 and some excellent brass engine pipes from Gazza.

I may also steal the Blue Steel from my Airfix Victor kit.

I have some nice decals from AirDecal for Anti-Flash Vulcans.

Not sure if I dare re-scribe or not. 

Off to research Blue Steel Carriers in gloss white. 🙂

• Like 3

Ooh, I'm liking the sound of this build :)

I've got one of the Airfix Vulcans in the stash and always fancied doing it as a white one, but I've always been put off by people saying what a pig they are to build

Will watch with interest :)  It may spur me on to start mine at some point

• Like 1

Gazza's jet pipes are the 'short' type corresponding to the 301 engine, now there is a lot of conjecture on this but I'm fairly sure I'm on safe ground if I assume that a Blue Steel Vulcan with 301 engines would be the most commonly seen configuration...

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-258880.html

Just don't call it a B.2A.

• Like 1

tn_530692bd-10e5-4984-bf2b-4c3deb843871.

Righty-ho, here is my box of bits.  I have been digging around in the volumes of info I have been kindly provided with and have decided to Model XM576 of 27 squadron, based at RAF Scampton in 1964.

She was Blue Steel modified, 301 engined and all white with no IFR probe.  She also had a couple of elephants on the fin.  Perfect.

She was rather unfortunately short lived though, written off after a heavy landing at Scampton on the 25th May 1965.

During an asymmetric approach to the runway the aircraft drifted to the left of the runway and whilst attempting a go-around the port wing struck the ground and the aircraft came to rest in a car park.  Thankfully all the crew escaped un-hurt.

From the little I know about flying i'd imagine that they flew the base course in such a way that they would break into the approach, which is fine & dandy if all goes well, however if the initial turn in is not just so it's perilously easy to stall or at best end up cross configured on approach. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the wings on, the fuselage 'pipes' trimmed to accept the new ones and have started filling the nose as XM576 had no IFR probe.

tn_c39de025-0f64-4c2a-93b4-464fe43d6789.

tn_e5ae7bed-49b3-4940-ad92-53fba2343f71.

Looking forward to him joining his stablemates!

tn_1f24d674-d297-43c9-a5f1-36aa22308208.

tn_d11fbc78-3e79-4b1b-9760-5432bc169acb.

Need a 1/72 E-Type really...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col. said:

How have the parts fitted so far?

Interestingly...

It's not the absolute horror show it is often made out to be, but it is showing it's age.  I am sure mine is much better as it is a 1992 pop of original mould. They sure won't have gotten any better with age! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, At Sea said:

Interestingly...

It's not the absolute horror show it is often made out to be, but it is showing it's age.  I am sure mine is much better as it is a 1992 pop of original mould. They sure won't have gotten any better with age! 

A fairly recent one I've seen just looked nasty. Lots of flash and mould damage that made the fit a challenge to rival Amodel at their worst :who-let-rip: 

• 1 month later...

I take back everything I have said about this kit.

I had got to the stage where the upper and lower wings were joined, the cockpit was in and the lower fuselage was going in.

It seems that it is not the same length, so spent a long time glueing a bit, then working along and getting the shape right etc etc.

I have also built the tail cone and once the fusealge-wing assemble was dry I test fitted it...

...No where near the right shape, to scale the thing is out by feet!  Why am I buggering about with this when I have so many nice new modern kits in stock?

It's a horrible kit, you may as well get a tub of P38 filler and carve a Vulcan out of it.

I am ashamed to say that I have placed it in a big box and put it on the shelf of doom.

All is not lost though!

I will complete this GB with some British Flying Heavy Metal in the form of my 1/72 Airfix Victor B.2.

Coming shortly!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Sorry to hear the Vulcan is beyond salvegeable :( At least the Victor back up plan is a great one.

The Vulcan is salvageable... but when I have a lot more enthusiasm.  😣

• Like 2