Seafang Cockpit

SteveJM

Afternoon all.

I've just made a start on the Trumpeter 1/48 Seafang F. Mk32 which doesn't seem too bad of a kit despite some failings here and there. The biggest gripe I've got with it is the totally fictional cockpit detail which, I know, won't be very visible with the canopy in place but will probably irritate me for ever and a day just knowing that it's in there. So, before I commit myself to the OOB pieces, can anyone recommend a suitable low-back Spitfire cockpit (either resin or from a donor kit) that would hopefully provide at least a starting-point for a bit of conversion work?

Cheers,

Steve

Basically Steve, no.

the cockpits are totally different,  so you wouldn't find much of use.  

There are pics of the Spiteful cockpit online,  @mike did the Falcon vac, and the cockpit is visible

here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30701-falcon-148-supermarine-seafang/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.britmodeller.com/Mike/seafang/cockpit1.jpg&key=d7f5cfe6504882ebf50df5bfd3fdb3a01da577195a9ac4b238bd475b803eb13a

the real thing, manual drawing shwoing IP in link

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/preview/trumpeter/02850cockpit.jpg

seafang-5.jpg&key=0123f8588d5b13e2e1c45a

Spiteful pit

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

Spitfire for comparison

Cockpit.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info and links Troy. I've seen the two smaller Spiteful pics before but I don't think I was looking at them closely enough. The larger pic makes things a lot clearer too. Just looking at the sprues right now with fresh eyes and I can see that the parts in question aren't quite as bad as I thought they were - bit lacking in detail maybe but reasonable. The instrument panel provided actually looks pretty decent.

As to what colour to paint it, I'd automatically have gone for interior grey/green but the b/w pic above seems to indicate an all black 'pit. That sound OK? The seat possibly being of the russet coloured phenol resin type?

Steve

Hi Steve, When I build my Spiteful, I chopped the cockpit floor to create that clear " step"  up to the foot rest area you can see in Troys photos, using just plastic card and scraps to bridge the gap and make a closer resemblance. It was quite easy to do and looked much better in relation to the position of the seat and panel. The cockpit opening is quite small but I felt it worth doing once completed. All I had to work with were the same photos shared above. 

On 8/13/2018 at 12:13 PM, SteveJM said:

I've just made a start on the Trumpeter 1/48 Seafang F. Mk32 which doesn't seem too bad of a kit despite some failings here and there. The biggest gripe I've got with it is the totally fictional cockpit detail which, I know, won't be very visible with the canopy in place but will probably irritate me for ever and a day just knowing that it's in there.

I find it amusing that what bothers you is cockpit details (well, more than "details") that "won't be very visible", while you're moderately happy with the kit despite the fact that the basic airframe geometry is, to use an engineering term, "out of whack".  You're probably wise to be happy with it, though, because once you start trying to correct things, you're very likely to set off the ol' domino effect.  One "stand alone" thing that will make a big difference, if you're using the contra-prop, is to change the spinner- it is far too long and pointy.

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I find it amusing that what bothers you is cockpit details (well, more than "details") that "won't be very visible", while you're moderately happy with the kit despite the fact that the basic airframe geometry is, to use an engineering term, "out of whack".  You're probably wise to be happy with it, though, because once you start trying to correct things, you're very likely to set off the ol' domino effect.  One "stand alone" thing that will make a big difference, if you're using the contra-prop, is to change the spinner- it is far too long and pointy.

I realise it's not exactly the most accurate representation of a Seafang that there could be but, sadly, my ham-fisted modelling skills aren't really up to performing major surgery on the airframe. And isn't it just a perfect example of Murphy's Law that no more than five minutes before logging-in here and reading your comment about the spinner... that I cemented the *@~!"%$ thing together!

Ah well! I suppose I'll have to rely on the old adage, "If it looks like a (insert aircraft of choice here) etc." Maybe modified in this case to read, "If it vaguely looks like a Seafang..."

Cheers,

Steve