FV432 "Bulldog"

This was one of those builds where things just didn't go right.  I even managed to loose the exhaust somehow.  Just replaced it with some plastic tube bent to about the right shape.

Could do with a figure to go with it, but not found one yet.  Did Bronco ever bring out their modern British figures?

Tim

WeJnSW0.jpg

68kKNYG.jpg

7jpSkhG.jpg

kyDoSV5.jpg

5ixlzhj.jpg

vVXjEkT.jpg

GJqO8r2.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

No they didn't.  But Masterbox did.  How about these guys? 

ZPGsBB1.jpg

http://www.mbltd.info/35180.htm

The vehicle figures might be adaptable: the lounging gunner in the cupola would look good, or the standing commander might fit.  And the 3 standing figures might make a dismount group on a base next to the vehicle, perhaps using the sitting driver or gunner figure talking to them.  The arm with the thumb pointing over the shoulder would be a nice touch.  "I think it's over there, mate".

These figures are only appropriate to Iraq, not Afghanistan, which is fine for a 432.

• Like 2

Hi, very nice build indeed !!

About the figures, I used the Masterbox british infantry for my Salisbury's Challenger 2, they are quite nice and easy to rework if needed, I mixed parts from different figures and changed heads !

dsc00016.jpg&key=4d82171fe79105a634f6ac0

Regards, E

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

These figures are only appropriate to Iraq, not Afghanistan, which is fine for a 432.

Apologies, wrong way around.  The MB uniforms and equipment are Afghan vintage, not Iraq. 

Iraq was the old Desert DPM uniform, Mk6 helmet and Osprey body armour and load carriage.  You might get away with removing the arm pockets and flattening the helmet brims, and the angled leg pockets won't show on a sitting figure.  But the body armour was very - and noticeably - different.  Knee pads weren't issued then.  Osprey had a belt holster for the sidearm: I can't recall if private MOLLE clip-on chest holsters were commonplace then - I believe they only became common when the SIG 226 was issued and may not have been available for the venerable Browning.

The only plastic figures I know of with Iraq-style uniforms and equipment are the old Dragon ones if you can still find them, but they're not especially useful poses.  Czech Masters do a set of 3 tank crew figures with what look like the right uniforms, but they have the AFV crew helmets.  Black Dog also do a pair of tank crew figures, available singly or as a pair.  They're labelled as "Afghanistan" but they definitely have Osprey body armour, but again have the tank crew helmet.  Blast also did a Challenger crew set of 3 figures, one of which is wearing the Mk6 helmet and 2 the tank helmet: but they have the CBA body armour, which is probably not correct for the time when the upgraded 432s were deployed.  Accurate Armour have a few figures too: might be something there.  The old Verlinden modern British tank crew are no good.

Of course, most of the tank crew figures are only half-figures (the Black Dog are full) and would only work standing in the cupola.

12 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Apologies, wrong way around.  The MB uniforms and equipment are Afghan vintage, not Iraq. 

Iraq was the old Desert DPM uniform, Mk6 helmet and Osprey body armour and load carriage.  You might get away with removing the arm pockets and flattening the helmet brims, and the angled leg pockets won't show on a sitting figure.  But the body armour was very - and noticeably - different.  Knee pads weren't issued then.  Osprey had a belt holster for the sidearm: I can't recall if private MOLLE clip-on chest holsters were commonplace then - I believe they only became common when the SIG 226 was issued and may not have been available for the venerable Browning.

The only plastic figures I know of with Iraq-style uniforms and equipment are the old Dragon ones if you can still find them, but they're not especially useful poses.  Czech Masters do a set of 3 tank crew figures with what look like the right uniforms, but they have the AFV crew helmets.  Black Dog also do a pair of tank crew figures, available singly or as a pair.  They're labelled as "Afghanistan" but they definitely have Osprey body armour, but again have the tank crew helmet.  Blast also did a Challenger crew set of 3 figures, one of which is wearing the Mk6 helmet and 2 the tank helmet: but they have the CBA body armour, which is probably not correct for the time when the upgraded 432s were deployed.  Accurate Armour have a few figures too: might be something there.  The old Verlinden modern British tank crew are no good.

Of course, most of the tank crew figures are only half-figures (the Black Dog are full) and would only work standing in the cupola.

Thanks for the reply, very useful as my knowledge of this area is rather lacking.

Tim

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice build Tim, I wanted to build one of these would like an interior to go with it.

You could buy this and the "normal" version, put the interior from the normal into the bulldog and just do a closed up normal?

Tad expensive though

Tim

• Like 1