Italeri S.M. 82 Marsupiale

Hi all,

well this is my new model in the work. Since now everything it's ok. I looked for color references for the interiors but at the end I choose dto use the coloured pictures that are in the little book that comes with the model.

I know that the green is too dark. It's a mixture of Tamiya cockpit green and deep green. It's should have been a little bit more light.

The grey parts are painted with Lifecolors "Grigio azzurro chiaro 1". I'm planing to paint the exteriors with the earlier three coulour camouflage scheme with Lifecolor Regia Aeronautica color set. Just thinking how to make aerials.

SM5

SM4

SM3

SM2

SM1

Edited by ModellerCH
  • Like 8

Not really my thing as wrong air arm, but a good start on a less well known aircraft. I enjoy looking to see how others tackle a model. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

thanks for all your comments. So I have some update and some advices for those who may want to build this kit. So, as it's the first time I build the Marsupiale, i just followed the manual and forgot to make some dry test.

In picture 1 you can see what the manual says about installing the landing gears. As you can see they are composed of 4 pieces and have to be installed in a kind of nacelle which will be glued to the lower part of the wing.

So my mistake to install them before closing the two sections of the wings. So now I have to do all the work with the geras insalled which is not that good. I'm quite sure that you can glue the inner nacelle, close the wings and then install the four pieces.

In pictures 2 and 3 you can see what the landing geras looks like. Now in my opinion there is a little problem. The fact is that the inner nacelle is not "stuck" by the upper side of the wing, leaving a gap of 1 cm.

Doing so, when you will put the plane on its gears, all the weight will be soustained by the inner nacelle which will be "pushed" up, and if not well glued, the nacelle will pop off from his position.

So i thought to use some extra strong glue and add some extra tape to fix them more strongly on the down side of the wing as shown in picture 4.

Ok i don't know if you see the point...hard to explain sorry 😅

And last picture 5 show you the under wing gap when you will glue the wings to te fuselage. The gap is 2-3mm and it's on both wings. For the price of the kit i'm not quoite sure that this is acceptable. But this gap was bigger on the Sunderlan and even worse with the AH-64 kit. Italeri kits are quite precises with the inner parts, but not that good for outer pieces.

And i have a question for you guys: I tried to use Mr.hobby super metal chrome aluminium color for the under part of the fuselage. Now...that paint distroyed my  airbrush nozzle. I used Tamiya thinner and and electric paint stirrer, but when you start to use the airbrush the pain will litterally split from the thinner and become a kind of glue which will be quite impossible to clean from the nozzle. Anyone know how to use them properly?

Thanks!

So that's all for now 😉

Edited by ModellerCH
  • Like 4

Thanks for the warning about parts fit. Will now be aware of the issue.

I can't help you with the airbrush/paint problem. I don't use an airbrush nor do I have those paints.

Chris

This is some really fine work! Lovely to see it.

I've not used Mr. Hobby paints but would suggest trying a different thinner to see if that replicates the issue with the paint?

Hi there

Regarding Mr Hobby line of paints they are not acrylics but LACQUER, so you need to use either the Tamiya lacquer thinner or the MR LEVELING THINNER from Gunze.

Cheers

15 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Hi there

Regarding Mr Hobby line of paints they are not acrylics but LACQUER, so you need to use either the Tamiya lacquer thinner or the MR LEVELING THINNER from Gunze.

Cheers

Ooooooh.... So that's the problem!... Thanks a lot! Those paints are really expensive... But I tried to use Tamiya silver chrome as suggested on the manual but it looks so bad! Will run to my local store tomorrow! Thanks again! 

And thanks all of you for your comments! 

17 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Hi there

Cheers

I'm sure you are right about the Mr Metal colours being a lacquer and that is the problem here, but not all Mr Hobby paints are lacquer paints. The Aqueous Hobby colour Is water based and can be thinned with Isopol thinners and Tamiya thinners. However, like all paint it is best to use the manufacturer's paint thinner if you have it. I do find the Gunze line of paints a bit confusing and easy to get the thinner choice wrong. However, they are excellent paints.

Edited by Greg Law