No Spitfires! Time to change that

3 builds into my return to plastic manipulation its time to build a  Spitfire or two!

The 1st Spitfire  will be a deviation from my primary theme of aircraft flown from US bases in Essex during WW2 in 1/72nd scale, but still has an Essex theme, a 131 Squadron MkVII Spitfire flown by Ft Lt C. 'Pete' Bearman. He was a close friend and colleague to my Grandfather at Essex Police before he volunteered to join the RAF .

The 2nd Spitfire will be an Eagle Squadron MkVb Spitfire based at North Weald. I will be making the decals for this aircraft

Onto the kits - No.1  AZ Models 1/72nd MKVII Spitfire - my 1st venture in limited run kits - hmm where are the locating pins ;) 

tlu4mWG.jpg

J22NBs9.jpg

lqDGLIu.jpg

No.2 Tamiya 1/72nd Mk Vb 

HHyWW36.jpg

EOR9Bhy.jpg

yhv7uzA.jpg

• Like 6

Last night plastic has been cut ! Since I always seem mix enough paint for a full production line - I have started both kits cockpits at the same time , that is a good enough reason to use the Tamiya kit as an assembly guide  :)

Obviously the 1st thing I noticed was how soft the plastic is in the AZ kit compared to the Tamiya one. So all fettling and sanding has to be gentle otherwise it might end up 1/144 scale ! 

After initial sprue removal, clean up, a little filler, rear bulkhead assembly (AZ models 5 parts , Tamiya 2 parts  for something that will not be seen due to both kits not having the OOB option of canopy open - hence I will just be adding tape seat belts to both kits later) the parts were painted interior green - a mix of 5:1:1  of Tamiya's Sky, Green and Field Grey.  Both kits have some detail on the cockpit sides these and the IP's  will get some colour tonight.

AZ - Mk VII

Upe43Zm.jpg  

WLQAJNg.jpg

Qc6MjnE.jpg

xKW3plO.jpg

Tamiya MkVb

XMOkwp5.jpg

c2NPEQ9.jpg

KM8JoSL.jpg

• Like 5

This weekends update , I finished the Mk VII cockpit  , tape seatbelts to add a little interest through the canopy

Mshsjio.jpg

dry fitted  together :

9dZ3lon.jpg

The last time the cockpit sides will ever be seen !  :

PlvHxsE.jpg

bzSAeeP.jpg

Mk VII does not have a cockpit side door - panel line filled with the magic Perfect Putty, and some sanding on the top seams, To aid attaching the horizontal stabilisers (I really dislike butt joints)  I drilled a small hole and added a piece of styrene rod this will give a little extra strength helping assembly.

lGmFb3m.jpg 

I stated  tiding up the Wheel wells , to get a smooth finish, Upper wing tips were also trimmed of the 'Clipped Wing' end read for adding the 'pointy' wing tip that was usual with the MkVII HF variant

KeNiM8d.jpg

Since we were going to be close to my local Model shop , I popped in to buy some PRU Blue which I will need for the Camo scheme

Spoiler

I ended up with some expense paints ;)

SQSSjgl.jpg

This was in my bag as I left ... I blamed BritModeller RFI section :) 

kaR45ma.jpg

I also did a little more on the Mk Vb Cockpit - again adding tape Seatbelts since this is also a closed canopy model and not much will be visible .

39AhH6F.jpg

vr42rLQ.jpg

• Like 4

Another week goes by with some progress and the attack of the carpet monster!

As usual the Tamiya kit fell together with little fuss and only a dab of filler. 

s2HYruc.jpg

jlm0EOK.jpg

Canopy on , masked and Primed.

WwzPNk5.jpg

The AZ kit required some fettling  and filler to make everything fit nice, a little CA glue to attach the pointy wingtips, followed by some gentle sanding.

9XoC2B5.jpg

wkMhqEy.jpg

Canopy on and masked up , time for some primer to show where it still needs some work.

Qx3Zalb.jpg

Whilst the primer was drying it was time to look at cleaning up the prop, spinner under carriage etc ...  but where is the spinner ? After much searching and swearing it was not found so milliput time.

Using a sprue as a base I have made these  

2ra63n9.jpg

uWjmAeN.jpg

After cutting off the sprue , trimming to the correct height, and adding the cut-aways so the prop fits , not a bad replacement.

oJAIKnC.jpg

yeJ4QHg.jpg

• Like 11

@Cookenbacher I now use Ultimate Primer after a 2 model stint using Vallejo's primer.

You know it was time for a beer last night when...... you airbrush dark sea grey instead of medium sea grey.. oops, the funny part was it was not until I was cleaning my airbrush that I thought .. hmm that a bit dark LOL

RqDW07z.jpg

ZBvhTT9.jpg

MFmvu99.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I've never understood why AZ made their MkVII/ VIII kit with clipped wings, standard wingtips I can understand.

Nice work, especially the Milliput spinner - that's very clever -  but don't forget the intake for the pressurisation compressor on the starboard side of the MkVIIs nose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some updates on the Mk VII MEDIUM Sea Grey on the upper sides ( with the pressurisation compressor intake added on the starboard side) and PRU Blue on the bottom.  Paints used Tamiya MSG and Vallejo PRU Blue

O3CA2XR.jpg

I8YiBkQ.jpg

MK Vb

Coat of Medium Sea Grey on the undersides and Ocean Grey upper. Paints used Tamiya MSG and Tamiya Ocean Grey. This evening wiggly blu tac worm time , tomorrow , dark green. Then let the paint fully dry for a couple of days before gloss coating

1r0F6He.jpg

xWPvoWI.jpg

• Like 6

Quite impressive! I'm watching with interest.

I have several (actually 6! - I've bought two "joy packs" including 3 kits in each box, without decals) AZ Spitfires IX and I will have to build at least some of them, despite fact that I already have Eduard one, which is better kit. Good to see that the AZ ones are buildable!

MK V Spitfire , masking off after some Tamiya RAF Dark Green being sprayed on, time to let paint dry for a couple of days before the next steps.

edsu6yK.jpg

3q1C5sg.jpg

mjO2Fis.jpg

Side on to use for colour matching in GIMP to make some Eagle Squadron decals (not sure which squadron yet - will be pre move to USAF ) , will use the Kits roundals and tail markings.

mI1YQhW.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

Disaster Strikes !! - well a minor set back and thankfully before any decals are placed.   Out with the 'Future'  time to gloss coat the MkVII after nearly a week of letting the Tamiya Acrylics cure.  3 Lightish coats - it all looked great, Then this morning  the wings and elevators had turned into a crazy paving playground ... 😪 , not entirely sure what I had done different - same airbrush , nozzle (0.2) , 20 psi as I used on my three other aircraft, only one thing to do - out with the 600 wet'n'dry.  Now we have a sad Mk VII that needs some love with Medium Sea Grey.

YBpDUxD.jpg

The Mk Vb is finally ready for gloss coating , though I will wait and spary them both at the same time. I have decided she will be marked up as AV - R BM590  'Olga' of 121 Squadron who were based at both North Weald then Debden before disbanding and reforming as the 335th FS  in 4th FG staying at Debden.

lPVschX.jpg

W0kh2oV.jpg