Arado Ar 81 V3 & He 51

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I tried another forum and it didn't take for some reason.

This is my favourite plane next to the Condor. It is rare in the real world and I expect in the modelling world.

It is the Arado Ar 81. This was the competition for the Stuka. The Stuka won. Still I find it a pleasing form

and will build it one day.  

The kit is 1/72 and made in resin. The canopy was a Vac. one which sadly has turned yellow. I know this can't be fixed 

unless I create a new one. Still I might build it and say it is sunset. There is something about the kit that says build me.

Have you got a rare kit like this? 

Arado Ar 81 box

Arado Ar 81 parts

• Like 3

• Greg Law changed the title to Arado Ar 81 V3 & He 51

This is a current project that only needs rigging. It is a He 51 1/48 scale. I waiting for the Easyline to arrive from Wingnuts. However, I thought 

I would show it before my tremor knocks the wing off again while rigging. 

The is the Eduard double kit. The Bf 109E-1 is the one shown in the first post I did. I gave it battle of France decals.

This one has odd makings made up of two sets, so isn't real. However, it is just the numbers that belong to a different plane.

This double kit was given to me by my daughters so needed to be finished. I think it is an unusual model that belongs in this thead. 

he 51 1

he 51 2

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice looking Heinkel 👍

Yes, it is a great looking model. The only real problem was getting on the struts and top wing. Another temor drama, hence the bad gluing

of the struts. After knocking the wing off several times I just added extra glue to keep it steady. In the cabinet you don't see it. 

The top of the caul and the exhausts were resin parts which was very nice. The exhausts and the gun barrels look a bit darker on the model.

The flash has lite them up.

For what its worth you have my complete understanding. I suffer from tremors as well, i finally had enough last year. I told my doctor about the situation, and they’ve improved to a good degree with the medication he prescribed. I hope you are able to get them under control. From what I’ve seen of your work its quite good, and i understand how frustrating that must be. 

Dennis

Sadly I have damaged the He 51.( Sorry the stressed moment made me use the wrong name.) I was looking for my Microsolo bottle in the plastic draw I keep it in. This was to put on the decals Dave sent me for the Do 217, so I was quite nervous. I did't notice

the He 51 was on top of it. This box has a tendency to tip when I open the draw. Guess what the draw tipped and the He 51 went flying then shattered. This is the result. I will be repairing it when I 

get the easyline. Anyway no decaling today after this.  Fortunately I have a second kit that I can raid for the missing strut. While I'm repairing I will have a go at cleaning up the glue.  

SAD

Edited by Greg Law
  • Sad 2

I'm doing it different this time, because I have a Vertigo jig to help, so cross figures and toes. 

I'm putting the jig together now. 

This is the new repair shop under test. I like this jig system. Because this is a repair job upside down works better for me. 

P8160014

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The He 51's wing is back on and I have been doing the nightmare of rigging for the first time on it. It has not been going well, but I'm getting there.

I see a need for some paint patch up work once I'm done. It is a pity because I had cleaned up the wings real nice. 

I'm pleased to report that Special Hobby are going to help me out by getting me a replacement canopy for the Arado Ar 81 and Ju 87A. I think that is excellent service considering the age of these kits. Thank you Petra for you help with this.

You are not going to believe this or maybe you will by now. When I was doing my cleanup on the He 51 rigging attachment points

The plane slipped and broke the top wing off again. I think the modelling gods decided I need to start again. This is kind of true. The amount of 

super glue on those points was just too much. I will get some CA kicker before I do this again. Well I'm back to where I was last week with this model.

Fortunately I had a spare main strut from the first build which will replace the only broken strut. At least I can properly repaint the wings again.

It is almost laugh able.

• Sad 1

Afternoon Greg

Sorry to read about and see your top wing misfortunes - I'm sure you'll be able to fix them all though with time and patience.

I see that I've been beaten to the punch re replacement canopies as I was going to suggest giving Special Hobby a call.  I can confirm their great service as they provided 2 sets of canopies for me on the BV P170 build I recorded here and also gave great comms, as their initial response highlighted that they themselves needed third party production of the pieces.   I'm sure you'll be as successful with the replacements and enjoy the Arado build.  In terms of a competition with the JU87, I can't really place a biplane as a successful alternative for a dive bomber - the loads on the top wing at pull out would be considerable.

Good Luck with the builds and repairs

Andrew

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear that ... I have confidence in you and believe you can beat this one into submission. 

,You are right there. This model was a birthday present from my oldest daughter so it has to be completed no matter what happens to it. In a way it was a relief this happened as my first attempt at rigging wasn't up to standard and part of the reason I dropped it was I was stressing about the mess. Now I have a chance to put it right. 

• Like 1

It has been a long road back for the He 51. I have had to do some heavy glue mining, sanding and repainting. Tomorrow I finally give it a coat of clear then on to building it back up. Why do my models have to suffer so much???

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a massive nightmare rigging this wreak I'm almost done. I still have to patchup the green paint work, add the aerial and a few other minor bits. 

This has been an absolute drama of breaking wing strut all because the CA wouldn't stick the rigging like it was supposed to. I would spend up to an hour at times

just getting the end on one cable to stick. I had a nice model until I started rigging it. Now it is a wreak of a model. I even had to replace one strut with a slimmed down tooth pick. This one gets close to taking the title of my

worse build ever. This is not to do with the kit. Just CA issues. Anyway this is where I'm at. 

he 51 3

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

all because the CA wouldn't stick the rigging like it was supposed to. I would spend up to an hour at times

Is there something wrong with your CA? Is it an old batch? I'm a real skin flint when it comes to CA, just buying the cheapo stuff from pound shops, you know the eight tubes for a quid rubbish and I've never had a problem like that with it not going off. Are you working in a very dry environment? CA is activated by water but also the bond starts from the outside of the "blob" of glue so keep the amount of CA on any joint down to an absolute minimum. Less really is more with CA. Also adding baking soda to a joint will accelerate the setting process and act as a filler if the hole is a little over-size.

Have a read of this link explaining how CA works.

IPMS Tech Tips: Good to Know About Superglue

Can I just add my own encouragement to that of others on here? I can?

Good-o

Go on lad, get stuck in don't let it beat you.

Edited by Rumblestripe
typo

After all the drama getting the He 51 finished, it is finally done. I had no trouble getting the split aerial on. I think it was because I used fine EZline. It definitely isn't one of my better builds, but for me it will look Ok in the cabinet. I will put it up on Ready for inspection tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 6:18 PM, SeaPlane said:

In terms of a competition with the JU87, I can't really place a biplane as a successful alternative for a dive bomber - the loads on the top wing at pull out would be considerable.

A little OT but although known best for its success as a torpedo bomber the Swordfish was a very effective dive bomber. So it must have been possible to make the upper wing strong enough. 

15 hours ago, 825 said:

A little OT but although known best for its success as a torpedo bomber the Swordfish was a very effective dive bomber. So it must have been possible to make the upper wing strong enough. 

The US certainly made biplanes work as dive bombers as well, be it the BFC, BF2C or a number of others. 

• 5 months later...

Ok this thread is back on track. I have been playing around with my Arado Ar 81 today. This is my first resin kit. I got to the point of putting it together. The fit isn't too bad, but there is a big gap on the right wing joint. The question I have is what is the best way to fill this on a resin kit? 

Ar 81

Edited by Greg Law