Jump to content

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IIa


Recommended Posts

a02010bt.jpg

 

Airfix has always made good Spitfires, and their most recent 1/72 Mk.I/Mk.IIa release is no exception.

 

l5LcuNZ.jpg

 

This build will be mostly out of the box; here’s the cockpit as provided in the kit – excellent!

 

iViVwGI.jpg

 

The only alterations I made were to replace the kit’s rectangular gunsight with a simple Barr and Stroud GM2 made from plastic discs and to add masking tape seatbelts.

 

LBGqa5M.jpg

 

Go Airfix!

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey man, I love the build, it looks like you’ve done a superb job with this. Only problem is that it isn’t done, and the ready for inspection page is for finished models only unfortunately. I recommend moving it to the appropriate spot, the work in progress page, so we can see the full extent of your progress. 

 

Cockpit looks really well done though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Crossiant Oliver said:

Hey man, I love the build, it looks like you’ve done a superb job with this. Only problem is that it isn’t done, and the ready for inspection page is for finished models only unfortunately. I recommend moving it to the appropriate spot, the work in progress page, so we can see the full extent of your progress. 

 

Cockpit looks really well done though!

Thanks, and my apologies - I've reposted this build on the 'Work in Progress' side  until it is finished!

Edited by Tim Reynaga
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a brilliant little build Tim - I did one myself not so long back.  Your attention to detail is superb though - with the wires from the rear flaps to the fuselage being a real highlight for me.  Great photography though is what makes this stand out. :goodjob:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is a brilliant little build Tim - I did one myself not so long back.  Your attention to detail is superb though - with the wires from the rear flaps to the fuselage being a real highlight for me.  Great photography though is what makes this stand out. :goodjob:

Thanks Big X! It felt strange to fit the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) transponder wires from the stabilizers to the fuselage but no antenna wire from the tail to the mast; Spitfire P8088 carried a mast without an external wire since the VHF type TR133 radio had its wire inside mast with no wire externally.

 

aUbLVVm.jpg

 

Anyway, I thought the IFF wires on the model were so inconspicuous against the grass base as to be almost unnoticeable - so thanks for noticing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tim Reynaga said:

Thanks Big X! It felt strange to fit the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) transponder wires from the stabilizers to the fuselage but no antenna wire from the tail to the mast; Spitfire P8088 carried a mast without an external wire since the VHF type TR133 radio had its wire inside mast with no wire externally.

 

aUbLVVm.jpg

 

Anyway, I thought the IFF wires on the model were so inconspicuous against the grass base as to be almost unnoticeable - so thanks for noticing!

They really are superb - I wish my sausage fingers could manage a feat like that - 10 out of 10 Tim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...