Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IIa

a02010bt.jpg

Airfix has always made good Spitfires, and their most recent 1/72 Mk.I/Mk.IIa release is no exception.

l5LcuNZ.jpg

This build will be mostly out of the box; here’s the cockpit as provided in the kit – excellent!

iViVwGI.jpg

The only alterations I made were to replace the kit’s rectangular gunsight with a simple Barr and Stroud GM2 made from plastic discs and to add masking tape seatbelts.

LBGqa5M.jpg

Go Airfix!

• Like 9

Hey man, I love the build, it looks like you’ve done a superb job with this. Only problem is that it isn’t done, and the ready for inspection page is for finished models only unfortunately. I recommend moving it to the appropriate spot, the work in progress page, so we can see the full extent of your progress. 

Cockpit looks really well done though!

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Crossiant Oliver said:

Hey man, I love the build, it looks like you’ve done a superb job with this. Only problem is that it isn’t done, and the ready for inspection page is for finished models only unfortunately. I recommend moving it to the appropriate spot, the work in progress page, so we can see the full extent of your progress. 

Cockpit looks really well done though!

Thanks, and my apologies - I've reposted this build on the 'Work in Progress' side  until it is finished!

Edited by Tim Reynaga

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely that mate and I love your choice of colours- you've got great detail for 1/72 scale- something I struggle with with my vision- corrected or uncorrected! 👀👓Very well done mate 👍🏽

• 2 weeks later...

This is a brilliant little build Tim - I did one myself not so long back.  Your attention to detail is superb though - with the wires from the rear flaps to the fuselage being a real highlight for me.  Great photography though is what makes this stand out. :goodjob:

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is a brilliant little build Tim - I did one myself not so long back.  Your attention to detail is superb though - with the wires from the rear flaps to the fuselage being a real highlight for me.  Great photography though is what makes this stand out. :goodjob:

Thanks Big X! It felt strange to fit the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) transponder wires from the stabilizers to the fuselage but no antenna wire from the tail to the mast; Spitfire P8088 carried a mast without an external wire since the VHF type TR133 radio had its wire inside mast with no wire externally.

aUbLVVm.jpg

Anyway, I thought the IFF wires on the model were so inconspicuous against the grass base as to be almost unnoticeable - so thanks for noticing!

11 hours ago, Tim Reynaga said:

Thanks Big X! It felt strange to fit the Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) transponder wires from the stabilizers to the fuselage but no antenna wire from the tail to the mast; Spitfire P8088 carried a mast without an external wire since the VHF type TR133 radio had its wire inside mast with no wire externally.

aUbLVVm.jpg

Anyway, I thought the IFF wires on the model were so inconspicuous against the grass base as to be almost unnoticeable - so thanks for noticing!

They really are superb - I wish my sausage fingers could manage a feat like that - 10 out of 10 Tim.