RAF Hudson OTU - code C3

Tony Whittingham

Hello All,

I have received a photo of a Hudson and crew, with the Squadron code of C3. Anyone have any idea which OTU this is, and the location?

9B207892-64A0-4E9D-838A-D0706D262979

TWp

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Add photo

111 OTU, Bahamas, converted crews to US types and did anti-submarine patrols. One of their letter codes was C

As the OP is in Canada perhaps this OTU

another OTU using Hudsons for training was 75, in the middle-east, code letter not known to me

If the OP could show us the photo there might be other clues, eg the serial number, if visible, might tell us to which unit(s) it was sent to

Hi all, 

I’ve added the photo to the original post. The two leftmost men are members of the second group of Barbadian volunteers in the RAF, C.P. King, and E. W. Barrow, who would become the first prime minister.

TW

Thank you, gentlemen!

Further investigation narrowed the search to either 111 OTU, or 31 OTU.

I’m leaning toward 31 OTU, as it was equipped with Hudsons and Ansons, while 111 OTU was equipped with Mitchell/ Liberator aircraft. No one in the photo looks very warm, even though it’s a bright day, and they’re not in tropical kit. So, perhaps not the Bahamas. Still looking for further evidence.

TW

51 minutes ago, Tony Whittingham said:

I don’t remember that on Hudsons either. But it does go directly to the door, which is where I thought the dinghy would be. You can faintly see the door outline.

TW

I think you're right, Tony- isn't the life raft container attached to the inside of the entry door on a Hudson? If so, that would account for the lanyard going to the door.

Mike

• Like 1

On the Barracuda the gunner pulled the lanyard from his rear cockpit.  Who pulls it in this case?  Is it done from the top of the fuselage whilst the aircraft floats on the water?  Is there an exit on top of the fuselage - hatch for the astrodome, perhaps?

35 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I think you're right, Tony- isn't the life raft container attached to the inside of the entry door on a Hudson? If so, that would account for the lanyard going to the door.

Mike

Yes, it on the inside of the door.

42223000130_0ef55c0331_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

It could be either 31 OTU at Debert NS, or 36 OTU at Greenwood, NS. Both were RAF run OTU's. A large number of training missions were actually anti-submarine patrols. No 31 was used to supplement Eastern Air Command operational squadrons. In fact a number of Hudsons were kept  just for anti-submarine operations.  I am actually involved in the restoration of a Hudson, FK466 that actually flew at Debert and participated in a number of anti-submarine patrols.

A Hudson from 31 OTU actually attacked a U-Boat during one of these "training missions" on 15th May, 1943.

I would note from the style and placement of the "C3", that this is more than likely 31 OTU. The Hudsons were dived into various flights, like "A", "B" and "C". This would be a "C Flight" Hudson. 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark!

I was definitely leaning toward 31 OTU! It’s also interesting that there’s almost no contrast between the colours. Either this is a very weathered temperate land scheme, or a temperate sea scheme. Chris’s photo shows a fresh land scheme.

Thanks again!

TW

Correct picture post

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, mrp said:

It could be either 31 OTU at Debert NS, or 36 OTU at Greenwood, NS. Both were RAF run OTU's. A large number of training missions were actually anti-submarine patrols. No 31 was used to supplement Eastern Air Command operational squadrons. In fact a number of Hudsons were kept  just for anti-submarine operations.  I am actually involved in the restoration of a Hudson, FK466 that actually flew at Debert and participated in a number of anti-submarine patrols.

A Hudson from 31 OTU actually attacked a U-Boat during one of these "training missions" on 15th May, 1943.

I would note from the style and placement of the "C3", that this is more than likely 31 OTU. The Hudsons were dived into various flights, like "A", "B" and "C". This would be a "C Flight" Hudson. 

Mark

Hello All,

MRP was kind enough to share some photos of 31 OTU aircraft with me, and one of the photos has a Hudson with the external lanyard, but this time there is a serial number visible. It does not appear to be the same airframe as I posted, so there potentially two Hudsons with this modification.  I may also have another: a  RAF Hudson, 279 sqn.  OS-T with a lifeboat attached, looks as if it might have the mod as well. Below is the photo from MRP.

Hudson restoration

regards,

TW

correct flicker upload