Abteilung Oil Application as a Wash

Tim1981

Hello, I was hoping to get some advice on using  Abteilung black oil as a wash for a few of my WW2 aircraft builds. In this video by David Damek at 20mins 20s he uses the oil as a wash. Would I be ok to mix this with Abteilung matt effect thinner for the wash . I was also interested to know whether it should be applied over a gloss coat ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Tim

I use oil paints for washes a fair bit.  I've just read up on matt effect thinner and seems to me it would be fine to use as a thinner.  I would definitely apply over either a gloss or satin clear coat though.  I use Tamiya X22 thinned with Mr Self Levelling thinner, but a future type product would also do the job.  Just don't use an enamel based clear.

If you use a gloss, you will find the excess wash fairly easy to remove.  Lately I have been using a satin as it gives a bit more 'grip" if you like.  With the gloss I found it was TOO easy to remove the wash, even out of the panel line!

Hope this helps

Bruce

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bruce , should I use a lint free cloth slightly damp for this. I also wondered if you should scribe the panel lines first or will they be deep enough out of the box ?

Would using a tamiya semi gloss be ok for gripping the wash  ?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Tim1981

Gday Tim

damp lint free cloth will be fine.  Try it dry at first, then dampen to remove any stubborn stains.

Tamiya semi gloss is what I have started using.  Should have no problem there

As regards rescribing most modern kits like Tamiya. and airfix should be fine. 

Hasegawa and eduard have very fine lines, especially hasegawa modern jets

I have not rescribed my eduard kits, but have been careful with only applying thin coats.  Id see how you go out of the box first

lastly, hers a vid by Drewe manton which I found helpful.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the help Bruce, much appreciated . I noticed in the video linked he has not applied the decals yet. Am I OK to use this technique with the decals on, if a semi gloss finish is over the top of them ?

Edited by Tim1981

Yes Tim, as long as the decals are sealed

I must admit though, I too have started applying the wash before the decals as in the video. Its one less clear coat . 

So my work flow is

clear coat painted model

apply wash to all panel lines

add decals

seal decals with clear coat

apply was over decals

finish whole model with matt or satin coat

Good luck, hope all goes well, post pics!

Bruce

• Thanks 1