Lancaster BIII 50 Squadron mid 1943

Hi,

Here are a few photos of my latest model, Revell's Lancaster B III in 1/72 scale dressed in the livery of a 50 Squadron machine which took part in such raids as Peenemunde, Hamburg and Berlin during mid 1943. It took a while to build, approx 5 months but went together beautifully and a thoroughly recommended model.

I hope you like it,

Russ

IMG_0634

IMG_0633

IMG_0632

IMG_0631

IMG_0628

• Like 23

A very tidy build indeed.

Nicely finished and weathered as well - especially the prominent exhaust stains.

Not having studied photos of the real plane that carefully, I am curious about the exhaust staining - the outer engines only have one stain each.

Did the outside exhausts point slightly downwards, or was there some aerodynamic forces in play?  If you know.  Just asking.

:goodjob::clap:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kapam said:

A very tidy build indeed.

Nicely finished and weathered as well - especially the prominent exhaust stains.

Not having studied photos of the real plane that carefully, I am curious about the exhaust staining - the outer engines only have one stain each.

Did the outside exhausts point slightly downwards, or was there some aerodynamic forces in play?  If you know.  Just asking.

:goodjob::clap:

The outboard section of the wing has a greater dihedral than the inboard section (which is flat) and therefore the outboard exhausts on the outer engines pass under the wing rather than over it.

A lovely looking Lanc, by the way!

Tom

• Like 1

Just now, tomprobert said:

The outboard section of the wing has a greater dihedral than the inboard section (which is flat) and therefore the outboard exhausts on the outer engines pass under the wing rather than over it.

Thanks - that makes perfect sense and I should have figured it out, without asking. 🙄

Nonetheless I'm glad you cleared it up.

😎

• Like 1

Thank you for all your kind comments, they are much appreciated!

In answer to the question regarding the bomb symbols, it is likely that the Lancaster I have tried to represent, DV217 'C' was the replacement of Lancaster DV156 'C' which was lost with all crew on 12/13 July 1943. So although I had symbols from other kits I decided (rightly or wrongly) not to apply them.

Cheers,

Russ

• Like 1