Soviet T-28 Medium Tank (Welded) - 1:72 Trumpeter

Paul A H

Soviet T-28 Medium Tank (Welded)

1:72 Trumpeter

t28weld_01.jpg

The T-28 was a Soviet medium tank, not dissimilar to the larger T-35. It suffered from many of the same problems as the T-35 , such as an unreliable engine & transmission, being under-armoured, and poor, out-dated suspension. The tank had a main turret lifted directly from the T-35, and two small machine–gun turrets from the T-26. The main gun was a hefty 76mm cannon, which was later upgraded to a more effective longer barrelled unit. After the initial poor showing in the Winter War against Finland, the armour was upgraded by adding appliqué panels. By 1940 the tank was hopelessly outdated and overshadowed by the new T-34, as well as enemy tanks such as the Panzer IV.

As we saw with their recent T-80B, Trumpeter are once again releasing all-new AFV kits in 1:72 scale. Following on from the blueprint set by their most recent kits (and those released by sister company Hobbyboss), the kit makes extensive use of slide moulding in order to reduce the part count to a minimum while preserving detail. This is evident from the wheels and tracks, which are moulded as a single part. While compromises clearly have to be made in order to mould something like this, I still find it preferable to horrible rubber band tracks that are impossible to fix in place. 

t28weld_02.jpg

t28weld_03.jpg

t28weld_04.jpg

t28weld_05.jpg

Construction starts with the lower hull. This part is moulded as a single tub, on to which the return rollers and tow eyes have to be added. The inner run of road wheels, drive sprockets and idlers, along with the tracks, are all moulded as a single part. These have to be added to the lower hull, after which the individual outer road wheels, drive sprockets and idlers can be fitted. The upper hull (again, a single part), can be added next, along with the engine cover, stowage boxes and various details such as spare road wheels. The two small machine gun turrets are each comprised just four parts, including individually moulded machine guns. The main turret is only a little more complex, but includes a nicely rendered railing and a commander's cupola that is moulded separately from the rest of the turret. The stubby main gun is moulded as a solid part with a hollow muzzle thanks to the use of a multi-part mould. The small decal sheet provides three marking options, but none of them are identified as individual tanks.

t28weld_06.jpg

t28weld_07.jpg

Conclusion

This is a decent little kit that does a good job of balancing ease of construction with quality of finish. While the low part count means some compromises have been made, they are not as noticeable as you might think, and the overall level of detail compares pretty well to other manufacturers operating in this scale. Trumpeter are to be congratulated on producing a mainstream kit of this tank. Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gifUK Distributors for logo.jpg
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Since there were quite few differences on these tanks during production i did some digging. One should use photos when building this one as differences are numerous and sometimes very visible (ventilator grill, equipment racks, add on armor).

From what i found which version this model is:

- gun is short 76,2mm KT-28 howitzer

- it has DT AA mount

- no additional armor

- RH tool box is for 1938-39 production

- LH tool box is mirror of RH one which is wrong for all version but both are easy enough to modify

- ventilator grill is for tanks produced in 1937-1940

- RH rear side (equipment rack) for tanks produced in 1936-1940

- LH rear side (equipment rack) for tanks produced in 1938-1940

- drive sprockets are reinforced for tanks produced after late 1939 (this is rivetcounting as it is almost invisible)

- periscopes are reinforced version

good resource on details and ideas for modifications:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/galleries/T-28/T_28det.htm

Markings in the box are for 3 tanks. Since Trumpeter never gives any info this what i found for decal options in the kit:

- T-28 red full line on turret and red star on tool box - i found nothing on this one sorry

- T-28 white full and interupted line on turret - camo all green - 2. Company of 2. Battalion of 5. Tank Division of 5. Mechanized Corps of North-Western Front june 1941 - tank was photographed by germans in burning condition.

- T-28 white 394 - camo all green - 10. Tank Division of South-Western Front july 1941 (ventilator grill on real tank is for tank produced in 1936)

My only beef with this kit are engine air intake grills on rear decking which are smooth (easy enough to glue some mesh over them) and  buttoned up hatches.

Edited by TISO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

I would like to note that second trumpeter kit of T-28 apeared in my stash. T-28 (riveted) kit no. 07151.

the only difference is the turret sprue which includes conical turret with longer L-10 gun for model 1940 (despite artwork and camo schemes showing cylindrical turret with L10 gun) and a bit diffrent side tool boxes which are identical to LH side box of tanks produced 1936-38.

Edited by TISO
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

This could be a nice addition to my small scale tank collection alon with other Trumpyboss releases.

Not sure if i like these slide molded tracks with the wheels together.

Somebody has build it ?