Cable Spools (35583) 1:35

Mike

Cable Spools (35583)

1:35 MiniArt via Creative Models

boxtop.jpg

Well this set's a load of bobbins!  No, seriously, it really is.  You often see cable spools lying beside tracks, in rail or engineering yards, even today, so this set is a handy one to have if you are planning any dioramas, or need to load up a truck or trailer.  You could even have some soldiers having a tea party around one if you like!  Arriving in a figure-sized box, the set contains six sprues in grey styrene, a large sheet of decals and an instruction sheet.

sprue1.jpg

Each sprue contains half the parts for a large and small bobbin/spool, measuring 51mm and 28mm respectively in real-world numbers.  Each core is made from four parts that make up the cylinder, and two end caps, with wooden planking and texture on everything that will be seen after construction, plus screws/nails/bolts where appropriate.  The decal sheet contains a whole raft of curved lettering, brand logos and various stencilling, depending on what's supposed to be on the reels.  The rear of the box shows some typical colour schemes, and also shows where and when these types were in use.  On top of all these decals you also get a bonus of two "Kilroy was here!" decals with their big-nosed accompaniment.

decals.jpg

I decided to make up a pair, which didn't take too long with a sharp knife and a sanding stick.  They go together easily, although I think I would scribe the join-lines of the cylinder when the glue is dry, and the little pips that centre the parts are fiddly to register in the depressions due to the texture of the end-caps, but a little care gets you there in the end.  I hope you like my spool sample :)

spoolsample.jpg

They're the kind of addition to a model that adds some realism to any diorama, and with six spools in the box they should last you quite some time.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1