1/72 Emhar A7V Sturmpanzer

The A7V Sturmpanzer was the German high command's attempt at countering the British tanks; for those of us not familiar with the type the wiki entry is very informative. I don't think I'm being nationalistic to suggest that it was inferior to both the British and French tanks, only 20 were built and only one - no.506 'Mephisto' - survives, in the Queensland Museum in Brisbane, having been taken as a war prize by the Australian army.

I was a bit surprised to find that a 1/72 kit of the A7V has existed for some time, first issued by Emhar in 2001 and recently re-released - I believe it is the later issue that I have. Meng also produce one in 1/35 which was sort of tempting but I wanted a little inconsequential build so this is probably the better option for me. Here is the box art, illustrated with the 'early' version of 'Mephisto':

DSCN7402.jpg

I have to say the illustration doesn't tally with the colour guide given in the instructions which suggest a scheme of USAF Tan blobs on a USAF Gunship Grey base...

The back view showing a later scheme for the same vehicle which looks almost like the mid-to-late WW2 German armour scheme:

DSCN7404.jpg

The construction and painting guides:

DSCN7408.jpg

DSCN7410.jpg

The sprues - just two of them and about 30 parts:

DSCN7406.jpg

... and finally the transfers:

DSCN7412.jpg

I don't like the look of these, they are very thick with acres of carrier film, I have ordered some replacement transfers from Black Lion Decals in the Netherlands. I'll decide what paint scheme I'll do when I get them and see the options...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Beard said:

I've got some spare Caesar German Infantry figures, if you fancy making a diorama.

Thanks very much for the offer mate, but no thanks, I don't want to get too involved with it, if you know what I mean? :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I will follow this one, I hope to make it in future too. I will look forward to see for Black Lion Decals works out.

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents :) 

The first three stages of the instructons concern the fitting of the main gun:

DSCN7418.jpg

I didn't find the fit of the mounting the easiest, but having looked at other completed models on the internet it looks like that's as good as it gets. I did drill out the gun barrel just for giggles. Next I have to attach six sets of machine guns and their mounts...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

I like that marking of the devil running down to the sea with his surfboard under his arm.  Must have been the reason the Queensland Museum got Mephisto.

AW

• Like 1

The reason that the Qld Museum got Mephisto was that it was captured by a Qld Regiment....

If anyone's seriously interested in Mephisto, I strongly recommend the book 'Mephisto: A7V Sturmpanzerwagen 506' by Mark Whitmore. Not easy to get any more, but well worth the chase IMO.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 5:39 AM, Peter Lloyd said:

There's also a good radio podcast about Mephisto and its 'salvaging': http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/mephisto/7754726

Some UK people of a certain age (especially those who frequented the Edinburgh Fringe) may recognise the Host of "Conversations" as Richard Fidler formerly a Member of the Doug Anthony All Stars.  

• Like 1

Apologies gents, I'm not going to get this one done in time either, have suffered a serious mojo-deflation and am currently packing ready to get up to Aberdeen prior to setting off for Telford...

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Stew

• Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...