This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

kitman

Cellulose thinners for clean up

Hi - can anyone advise me about what to get 'or not' of the various brands of Cellulose thinners. I intend to use it to wash out my airbrushes and general clean up of tools etc. What i need to now if any brand will do for this purpose? Thanks

I just use a small tin from my local hardware store.  I previously used a tin of Humbrol, and can't say that there was any difference.

Personally I would stay with the Tamiya or gunze  cleaners.  

Rustins cellulose thinner is a pretty good one.

Paul

I get the cheapest cellulose thinners at a car accessory shop [not Halfords]. It costs me £8 for 5L

I use occasionally to clean my airbrushes, when doing a full strip down clean.

I have used it to thin Tamiya paint but it was too 'hot' for that and it affected the model plastic

I use it on other things too tho

As Blacknight, go to a motor factors and get a 5ltr tin if your using it just as a cleaner, not like someone on you tube who uses Mr Hobby self leveling thinner to clean the airbrush out, now that's a waste of a good product for sure.

I use Gunze MLT for cleaning. Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is also good but still no match to MLT. 

Usually I was putting few drops of cleaner and then "bubble" the mixture. I've noticed that while after around 3 rinses Tamiya AC was going already clean, next few drops of MLT were still dissolving some paint. I am also going to check Gunze's Tool Cleaner, I'm curious if it's any better than MLT.

Of course before using powerful cleaners I first do 2 rinses with cheap polish Wamod cleaner, which works better than Tamiya Acrylic Thinner (which I also tested but find it useless in that matter).

I heard that the Tool Cleaner is really aggressive with rubber seals. Might want to do a test before putting it through an airbrush that has them.

I use PS-274 ProconBoy which seem to have no seal for nozzle and ptfe seal for needle.

I also think of H&S Evolution which also has PTFE.

I find cleaning acrylics with cellulose thinner makes everything very sticky! it melts the acrylics, then dries up quickly.