Cellulose thinners for clean up

kitman

Hi - can anyone advise me about what to get 'or not' of the various brands of Cellulose thinners. I intend to use it to wash out my airbrushes and general clean up of tools etc. What i need to now if any brand will do for this purpose? Thanks

I get the cheapest cellulose thinners at a car accessory shop [not Halfords]. It costs me £8 for 5L

I use occasionally to clean my airbrushes, when doing a full strip down clean.

I have used it to thin Tamiya paint but it was too 'hot' for that and it affected the model plastic

I use it on other things too tho

• Like 1

As Blacknight, go to a motor factors and get a 5ltr tin if your using it just as a cleaner, not like someone on you tube who uses Mr Hobby self leveling thinner to clean the airbrush out, now that's a waste of a good product for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Gunze MLT for cleaning. Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is also good but still no match to MLT. 

Usually I was putting few drops of cleaner and then "bubble" the mixture. I've noticed that while after around 3 rinses Tamiya AC was going already clean, next few drops of MLT were still dissolving some paint. I am also going to check Gunze's Tool Cleaner, I'm curious if it's any better than MLT.

Of course before using powerful cleaners I first do 2 rinses with cheap polish Wamod cleaner, which works better than Tamiya Acrylic Thinner (which I also tested but find it useless in that matter).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...