Spitfire-ish

Here's my own interpretation of an early mark spitfire, notionally a mk1 and notionally 1/32 scale hand carved from basswood, walnut and oak and varnish finished. I did it as an experiment to give me something to do in my spare time, and to see if I could make something I'd be happy to put on display. There is rather a lot of artistic license being used e.g. I chickened out of gouging out the wheel wells or cutting control surfaces, so it is more spitfiresque than a finescale reproduction, however it was fun, satisfying and I'm happy with the result.

Thank you all for your interest, see you for the next one.

30124312048_18b1f7d6d7_k.jpg

43274058174_ab3647f46d_k.jpg

42183631290_c1943bcf77_k.jpg

43087161075_21f66fc94e_k.jpg

29055312227_cec862de4b_k.jpg

43944323352_e9393bbc39_k.jpg

42183661320_7048d60830_k.jpg

42183670660_764cf766aa_k.jpg

Edited by Redshift
Links
  • Like 37

50 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Terrific....  Personally I'd paint it and put decals on it.    

Thanks. I was in two minds about painting it, but the Commandant (Home Forces) said that a wooden sculpture.would be allowed in the living room but a painted up war machine has to stay in the study. Also, if it was too well painted it wouldn't be obvious it was wood!

Maybe the next one...

• Like 4

OMG. REAL modelling. Anyone can take a load of pre-prepared plastic and make a half decent job of it (everyone EXCEPT me, that is!). But to fashion something out of blocks and bits of wood is, well, how they used to do it in 1940! Brilliant. Did you work from a pattern/plan or just kinda go with what looked right (which it does)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

OMG. REAL modelling. Anyone can take a load of pre-prepared plastic and make a half decent job of it (everyone EXCEPT me, that is!). But to fashion something out of blocks and bits of wood is, well, how they used to do it in 1940! Brilliant. Did you work from a pattern/plan or just kinda go with what looked right (which it does)?

Very true....  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redshift said:

Thanks. I was in two minds about painting it, but the Commandant (Home Forces) said that a wooden sculpture.would be allowed in the living room but a painted up war machine has to stay in the study. Also, if it was too well painted it wouldn't be obvious it was wood!

Maybe the next one...

My wife wife would take a dim view as well....  The next one do for the man den ....   Very impressive piece of work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Thanks, definitely from plans! I found aerofred and the-blueprints.com very useful for drawings

• Like 1

That's a very nice bit of whittling!

The pre-plastic days of solid scale models have quite a hold on me. Seeing this great looking Spit here today has got the urge to have a go smoldering a bit.

• Like 2

Definitely "scale modelling" as my Dad describes it, during his childhood years in the WW2 era.

You've done a top notch job, using skills I certainly can't claim to have.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Congratulations Redshift. A great result. As I have said before, leaving a natural wood finish like this is more challenging than painting as this way you can’t bodge over mistakes with putty and paint.

First class!

Steve.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Congratulations Redshift. A great result. As I have said before, leaving a natural wood finish like this is more challenging than painting as this way you can’t bodge over mistakes with putty and paint.

First class!

Steve.

Thanks Steve

Nope, all bodging is on full display! I am now at the stage of having to try to ignore the mistakes and be pleased with the result, which is quite difficult.

The next one will be better, then the next, and the one after that...

Nick

• Like 1