1/72 Monogram F-105G Wild Weasel

Hi all and my latest finish, a Monogram 1/72 F-105G Wild Weasel built for a Vietnam GB elsewhere. The build thread is here if you're interested but to recap:

Kit: Monogram 1/72 F-105G

Build: Out of the box

Paints: Halfords primer from a can. Revell Acrylics with a paint brush. Future, Flory Models Wash, W&N Matt Varnish

Decals: Mix of kit and Superscale Sheet.

Markings:  561st Tactical Fighter Squadron, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Southeast Asia 1972. This aircraft (S/N 63-8320) scored 3 Mig kills in Vietnam. I don't know if the aircraft carried kill markings but I added two under the cockpit. As a footnote, the last F-105 shot down in the Vietnam War was from the 561st and the squadron was the last to fly the F-4 Pantom II on ops. Anyway, some pics!

30114726928_c339a3b0f9_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

30114725788_9c91e6fc72_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

30114725088_4555bcd643_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

30114722918_6f2614ea48_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Paints used...

30114722288_3c872db570_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

She's a big 'un alright. Beside a Vietnam Navy Phantom (first Mig shootdown)

30114721668_9739355aab_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And that's it! For an old kit, it was a really enjoyable build and nicely engineered. I also love how the instruction sheet has call outs for what many of the pieces are e.g. 'ECM pods' or 'Drop tanks'......clearly aimed at the young builder. Maybe something Airfix or Revell might bring back?!

30114721028_1de2aebc1c_b.jpgMonogram F105G  Wild Weasel_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and enjoy your modelling.

Dermot

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Hello Dermo,

Good representation of the THUD. Especially in the 1/72 scale.

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, glatisant said:

A smart looking Thunderchief. Colours look very good.What are Revell Acrylics like? 

Thank you. 

For brushing, I find them great - good pigment and coverage, easy clean up and no smell. Plenty of choice of colours too.

I haven't airbrushed them but know someone who does and he likes them - plenty of thinning with Revell's own acrylic thinner seems to work by all accounts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice Thud Dermot.

Got to love a Weasel, especially with such a good Shark mouth on it.

The colours from the Revell paints look spot on, and for those interested in how they spray I can tell you that they spray really nicely.

Thanks!

Just wondering what do you use to thin them with for spraying?

Getting my airbrush set up is next on my hobby to-do list 😉

38 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

Thanks!

Just wondering what do you use to thin them with for spraying?

Getting my airbrush set up is next on my hobby to-do list 😉

I use de-ionised water which works fine, I've even been known the stuff that comes out of the tap for free and that works too!

• Like 1