Tamiya 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61-Id, (2 of 2 - 244th Air Group)

Here is the second of my two builds of the new Tamya 1/72 Ki-61 Tony; this one was a very generous gift from my friend @Cookenbacher and represents an aircraft flown by Captain Kobayashi of the 244th Air Group based at Chōfu Airbase near Tokyo in Febuary 1945. This aircraft has a 'scoreboard' painted beneath the port cockpit side apparently showing 5 x B-29 kills plus a sixth by ramming. The 'Tony' is quite a small and delicate-looking aircraft and compared to a B-29... well that must have been an interesting combat and I should very much like to read what happened if anyone has any further information. Anyway here she is:

DSCN7387.jpg

DSCN7390.jpg

DSCN7392.jpg

DSCN7394.jpg

DSCN7396.jpg

DSCN7398.jpg

The kit is as you would probably expect a very easy build with most of the parts clicking into place without a hint of drama. The the small variations between the schemes provided are catered for and called out with optional r/t mast, venturi tube and wingtip lights. Build thread is here

I used the kit transfers which included the yellow leading edge stripes (both for the wings themselves and the undercarriage doors) - the propeller warning strips were also provided as decals but I just painted them myself. The transfers were fractionally thicker than I would have liked but as a result were at least strong enough to handle some manipulation where required and they settled down okay with some Microset - again, the only one I had a real problem with was the red fuselage band, I had the same issue with the white fuselage band with the other kit I built.

The aircraft was painted in Vallejo Metal Color Duralumin (a few panels were picked out in Dark Aluminium for variation) with some Citadel Runefang Steel cut about 50% with their Celestra Grey on the fabric-covered ailerons and elevators, the interior and wheel-wells were painted in Colourcoats ACJ04 Interior Buff Green. Final touches were done with Tamiya clear red and blue and their Burnt Iron for the exhausts, some Vallejo black/dark grey mix for the tyres, ACJ23 Propeller Brown for the prop and spinner and finally some Infini 70 Denier white lycra thread for the r/t wire.

Finally I'd like to record my gratitude to Cookie for his unsolicited and unexpected gift; what a guy B)  

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

The kit is as you would probably expect a very easy build with most of the parts clicking into place without a hint of drama

Sounds horrific.

No wonder you had to fill in the time by painting such an impeccably striking finish to those surfaces Stew.

Superb.

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This and the other one are a fabulous pair of Tonys.

There is some conjuncture over Kobayashi’s score with some suggestion that the score represents the 244th Sentai unit score. 

AW

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sounds horrific.

Haha there were times when I felt a bit redundant, I could probably have given the kit to my mum and she could have put it together as easily :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

I love the more sober paint schemes you have chosen for your two Tonies. I feel the green spotted camo does detract from the graceful lines of the plane.

Absolutely gorgeous builds.

JR

• Thanks 1

That’s a lovely build of this quite good looking aircraft Stew. She’s come up wonderfully well and when I get a better chance I’ll search for your first build that I (apologies) must have overlooked! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1