Tamiya 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61-Id, (1 of 2 - 19th Air Group)

Here is the first of my two builds of the new Tamya 1/72 Ki-61 Tony; this one represents an aircraft of the 19th Air Group based in Luzon in the Philippines in 1945. This aircraft was captured apparently intact by U.S. forces, but I have no idea what happened to it after that.

DSCN7375.jpg

DSCN7378.jpg

DSCN7380.jpg

DSCN7382.jpg

DSCN7384.jpg

DSCN7386.jpg

The kit is as you would probably expect a very easy build with most of the parts clicking into place without a hint of drama. The the small variations between the schemes provided are catered for and called out with optional r/t mast, venturi tube and wingtip lights.  Build thread is here

I used the kit transfers which included the yellow leading edge stripes (both for the wings themselves and the undercarriage doors) and the propeller warning strips. They were fractionally thicker than I would have liked but as a result were at least strong enough to handle some manipulation where required and they settled down okay with some Microset - the only one I had a real problem with was the twin white fuselage band which is still slightly wrinkled underneath but not really noticeable in the picture.

The aircraft was painted in Vallejo Metal Color Duralumin with some Citadel Runefang Steel cut about 50% with their Celestra Grey on the fabric-covered ailerons and elevators. The uppersurface colour is the darker, greener variant of '#7 Ohryoku nana go shoku' whch is ACJ22 in the Colourcoats range and the interior and wheel-wells were painted in ACJ04 Interior Buff Green.

Final touches were done with Tamiya clear red and blue and their Burnt Iron for the exhausts, some Vallejo black/dark grey mix for the tyres, ACJ23 Propeller Brown for the prop and spinner and finally some Infini 70 Denier white lycra thread for the r/t wire.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1